Listen to your body

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Linsen - sorry to hear that - hope everything works out - I'd listen to my body but it keeps saying 'Oh sh*t I'm going to die'
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Linsen - sorry to hear that - hope everything works out - I'd listen to my body but it keeps saying 'Oh sh*t I'm going to die'

haha!

As for how it came about, years of horseriding I think, followed by enthusiastic cycling. Throw in some bad genetics and there you have it.

I'm feeling pretty chipper about it but feel a little alarmed when my leg sometimes gives way and I can't feel how hot the bath is :shock:
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    well thats not good is it!

good things with good people sounds like a plan.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Linsen, stick yourfingers/ elbow in the bath water, or better still, get +1 to check it for you :)
  • linsen
    Quick update from pain central.

I saw the doc again after a second MRI. I have a cyst on one of the facet joints and also inflammation in the actual vertebrae L4 and L5.

Doc is proposing to remove part of one of the vertebrae and put in a silicone spacer to try and alleviate the pins and needles, and decompress the spine a bit.

He wants to operate early to mid may and sign me off till September

:shock: :shock: :shock:
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712
    Not that it can mean much, but good luck with whatever you decide.
  • Yikes! What have you done to inflame your vertebrae? They're, like, bones, aren't they? How'd you inflame a bone?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    linsen wrote:
    Quick update from pain central.

I saw the doc again after a second MRI. I have a cyst on one of the facet joints and also inflammation in the actual vertebrae L4 and L5.

Doc is proposing to remove part of one of the vertebrae and put in a silicone spacer to try and alleviate the pins and needles, and decompress the spine a bit.

He wants to operate early to mid may and sign me off till September

:shock: :shock: :shock:

:O

Damn!
  • linsen
    Greg66 wrote:
    Yikes! What have you done to inflame your vertebrae? They're, like, bones, aren't they? How'd you inflame a bone?

I had no idea you could irritate bones like that either, but basically they are now banging each other through the degenerated disc and they show up on the MRI as big white patches in the bones.

And this is after a year of taking it easy......
  • Good luck, know what you are going through, had a spinal fusion operation in 2000, and now fully recovered can cycle run etc play 5 a side football,no pain, no problems, good luck!
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    linsen wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    Yikes! What have you done to inflame your vertebrae? They're, like, bones, aren't they? How'd you inflame a bone?

I had no idea you could irritate bones like that either, but basically they are now banging each other through the degenerated disc and they show up on the MRI as big white patches in the bones.

And this is after a year of taking it easy......

Strewth Bruce...

Clearly not easy enough. WTFD... Down I tell you! :P
  • linsen
    oxonmackem wrote:
    Good luck, know what you are going through, had a spinal fusion operation in 2000, and now fully recovered can cycle run etc play 5 a side football,no pain, no problems, good luck!

That is music to my ears!

Not that he is offering to fuse yet - wants to see if he can do less to good effect. Mind you, if you can do all that with a fusion. If I can play 5-a-side footie after my op I will be impressed - never been able to before :lol:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    linsen wrote:

Pffft - insist on carbon :lol:

Seriously, sorry you are in such a mess but glad it looks like people suffer the same and make full recoveries. Judging by the madness on SCS, many of the rest of us will probably be joining you before the year is out........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • linsen
    Op date is set of 15th May

Now I can panic
  • FeynmanC
    FeynmanC Posts: 649
    Hope it all goes well.

Something to look forward to - they are going to give you some really good drugs that will make everything seem much better and, possibly, the walls melt :?
    us0.png
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    linsen wrote:

Now I can panic

Oooh good luck! Just make sure that everyone is scrubbing the f*ck up properly!
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Chap from my team is having two of his vertebrae fused today as a result of a damaged disc and I've got a mate who needed it doing after a freestyle skiing accident (doing a backflip).

The skiing mate went on to ski for the university and it's made no impact on her life at all.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    linsen wrote:

Now I can panic
    Are you going to cycle over to the hospital?

Sorry - think of it as being a bit like tourettes.
  • linsen
    linsen wrote:

Now I can panic

I was going to, yes. And home again. Three days is plenty of time to recover, non?
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    linsen wrote:

Now I can panic

I was going to, yes. And home again. Three days is plenty of time to recover, non?
    Time trial on the way there, sprint intervals on the way back.

Hours, I think you meant.
  • linsen
    I do know someone who cycled to hospital to give birth to her child (my friend)

Obv I meant minutes. Der
  • Valy
    Ohhhh... what the f*ck? lol
  • always_tyred
    linsen wrote:
    I do know someone who cycled to hospital to give birth to her child (my friend)

Obv I meant minutes. Der
    If she's had gone with a recumbent, all she'd have needed to do was pull into a layby.
  • Sorry to hear that, but hopefully it may not be all bad news. Before I started cycling (commuting/sportives) I had a year of sciatic pain, couldn't really stand up straight, always hurt, couldn't do any sport, so I went under the knife to clear some space for the sciatic nerve.

Following the op, it was recommended I cycle, and I haven' t looked back. That was 8 years ago, and been cycle commuting and ride most weekends since. So hopefully you'll be able to get those bikes out before too long.

Good luck!
  • linsen
    Sorry to hear that, but hopefully it may not be all bad news. Before I started cycling (commuting/sportives) I had a year of sciatic pain, couldn't really stand up straight, always hurt, couldn't do any sport, so I went under the knife to clear some space for the sciatic nerve.

Following the op, it was recommended I cycle, and I haven' t looked back. That was 8 years ago, and been cycle commuting and ride most weekends since. So hopefully you'll be able to get those bikes out before too long.

Good luck!

"recommended to cycle". I like the sound of that!

Did you have bone removed?
  • linsen
    Sorry to hear that, but hopefully it may not be all bad news. Before I started cycling (commuting/sportives) I had a year of sciatic pain, couldn't really stand up straight, always hurt, couldn't do any sport, so I went under the knife to clear some space for the sciatic nerve.

Good luck!

"recommended to cycle". I like the sound of that!

Did you have bone removed?
  • I think it was a Laminectomy. Just a portion was removed, well enough to make some space for the nerve. The disc's I suspect are still bulging, which you obviously need to protect.
  • linsen
    My discs (three) have gone beyond the "bulge" stage and are now properly thin and withered and so he is planning a laminectomy and to put a spacer in too. Think he wants to see what he can see when he gets in there. I do not really want to think about it to be honest :shock:

What was your recovery like? I am guessing 6 weeks of not much at all and then a slow road back to fitness.
  • The spacer sounds a tad scary, perhaps they can get some carbon in there :D

Probably should have told you a porky here as this was a case of very bad luck, but my recovery was badly hampered by the Doc not sewing things up correctly. I started leaking spinal fluid out the wound, and any position other than horizontal led to some pretty impressive headaches. A second op sorted this though and that recover went well. Just remember it is quite a major back op, so it will take time to get things back to normal. I cant quite remember timeframes, but your 6 weeks sounds about right. Often there will be some nerve damage which takes a bit longer to repair itself.
  • Valy
    Nerve damage and repair in the same sentence?

:?