• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Little update from me

Surgery a week Saturday

L4/5 Lateral recess and nerve decompression
    Insertion of DIAM dynamic stabilisation system
    Nerve root injection

That about covers it.

No leaving house for first two weeks, followed by another three months off work., including such delights as "walk to the first lamppost and back and then see how you feel the next day"

No cycling until next Spring.

Any DVD/book recommendations?

:?
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    The 'no leaving house for first two weeks: Is that due to bed rest? :shock:

I'd recommend all the CSI's season 1 to date, NCIS, 'Justified' on earth tv on a Wednesday night at the moment. How about joining the local library via the net and getting the household to fetch and carry them?

I'm guessing by the 'care package' this is very serious stuff. On the other hand, full recovery means painfree bike rides and other wonderful stuff. Sorry it's going to take a wihle though :(
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    i'd recommend burn notice...
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    Sounds serious. Gulp. But good that it's getting sorted. Good luck.

I have previously found podcasts easiest when back v.sore (no twisting to see screen, see) - Friday Night Comedy is ace, as are several of the lonely planet ones.
  • Valy
    Valy Posts: 1,321
    You could play some games? :p

As in... video games. :D
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    linsen wrote:
    Little update from me

Surgery a week Saturday

L4/5 Lateral recess and nerve decompression
    Insertion of DIAM dynamic stabilisation system
    Nerve root injection

That about covers it.

No leaving house for first two weeks, followed by another three months off work., including such delights as "walk to the first lamppost and back and then see how you feel the next day"

No cycling until next Spring.

Any DVD/book recommendations?

:?
    Its not about the bike?
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Sorry to hear that - guess you can't watch anything that makes you laugh then :cry::cry:
  • Cafewanda
    i'd recommend burn notice...

+1
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Good luck Linsen!
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • linsen
    Well, I am the other side of surgery, still in hospital and wide awake due to having had far too much time lying around in bed.

The cyst and the pins and needles have gone but he did find a fractured vertebra and had to do a bone graft. I now wonder how on Earth I have managed to be as active as I was for so long. I can wait to get back on a bike - for now I am grateful I will be able to walk the dog again!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Yey Linds that's great news see you soon x
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Great news Linds!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Whoop whoop!

Although 'fractured vertebra' :?

Heal up.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,628
    Good stuff :)
    If in need of dvd series I can assist :) Mostly comedy though so might not be so healing...
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    God. This all sounds a bity scary. I've been diagnosed with some degenerated discs in my upper and lower back. I get some tingling in my left big toe mostly and also in my little fingers, mostly on the left. It comes and goes and is nothing like what you've experienced. Yet. I'm just hoping it doesn't escalate. Had quite bad lower back pain about a month ago. Sitting at work and then standing up was difficult, but then about a week after it started, it went away and hasn't been back since, however I still get the tingling now and then and sometimes an ache between my shoulder blades (they think I've got degenerated discs up there too). One of the docs I saw said that cycling is actually good for back problems as the gentle rocking of the hips helps warm up and loosen the vertebrae, however he said that I shouldn't have my bars and seat in an "aggressive", horizontal, racing position...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • linsen
    HH,

keep an eye on symptoms. My pins and needles became permanent. Definitely agree with avoiding an aggressive position.
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    That's fantastic news, hope the recovery goes well
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • linsen
    Thought I would give you a quick update

I have made pretty good progress so far - I can walk to the local shops and back, and tolerate a car journey, though sitting is a real issue - feels very uncomfortable all the time and can't do it for more than around 15 minutes without really suffering. This cuts out a fair amount of daily life, but I can potter around, cook dinner, do light tidying up (good job, as my children are sadly not that well trained). The scar looks like it will be around 2 inches long, and I will see the consultant next week. Think I will have to have a CT scan to see if the bone graft has taken (I think it hasn't, and the sharp pains I had for 24 hours last week may well have been that re-fracturing). He will then refer me for physio and it will be a long road to normal life. Having said that, I feel very positive, and I can do so much more than I either could before or expected to be able to do by now.

As for sitting on a bike - the very thought of that makes me feel quite nauseous at the moment, but I am sure I will get there in time.

Happy riding - it's a lovely week for it :D
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Boo to the possible re-fracture.
    Yay for progress albeit slow going. Good news :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Good luck on the recovery. What you need is somebody to come and stay to look after you.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Good to hear Linds. keep up the good work!
  • Squigley
    Squigley Posts: 2
    Glad to hear you're able to do more already - hoping your recovery time flies by.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    JonGinge wrote:
    Boo to the possible re-fracture.
    Yay for progress albeit slow going. Good news :D

+1. Somewhat mixed news, but definite progress, which is great to hear!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Good to hear..fingers crossed.
  • Cafewanda
    Hey Lins, glad you are recovering despite the fracture problem. Hope you managing to enjoy the sun despite clearing up after the children :)
  • linsen
    Thanks all.
  • linsen
    Wow
    I last posted here on my birthday, which was a while ago now.
    For those of you who remember me, while you have spent a wonderful summer on your bike, I have been watching crap telly, knitting, doing cross stitch and reading books. Mingled in with a bit of walking (I mean a bit), some swimming (in the last two weeks) and some physio.

The net result right now after major surgery is that I am about back where I started, with a bit of fear and dread thrown in. I still have pins and needles, and after a long journey in the car I have a lot of pain. I am desperate to get back to work, if only for the distraction, and I am awaiting further scans to see what other problems are lurking.

I have permssion to ride my bike - for 10 minutes on the flat. Pffft. But at least it is a start.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,612
    edited August 2010
    10 minutes is better than no minutes. Seems like things are (sort of) going in the right direction. EDIT: if not very quickly.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :cry:

This is the all new chat forum: no bike riding required... post anyway

Your location did make me smile in an empathetic sort of way
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • linsen
    haha forgot I had put that as a location!