What's the %&£**=+ Point?

disgruntledgoat
disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
I've worked harder than I think I ever have this winter to get to a stage where I could start placing in road races again, achieve some time goals in Sportives and some PBs in my time trialling...

First block of races is halfway done 2 road races down at which I finished midfield (like I did the last 5 years!), reliaibility ride (that always degenerates into a race!) and a 25 to come on the next 2 sundays... Been concentrating on eating right, stretching, hydrating properly, not drunk any alcohol in 4 weeks and won't until after the 25.

So why do I bother? I don't seem to be getting the results and I've now got a stinking cold and so porbably wont get anything on sunday. Really peed off. :evil: :x :evil:
"In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent

Comments

• stonehouse
    stonehouse Posts: 222
    Not that I'm competing, but I've also done the same since just before Christmas, I've not made any gains either, I'm assuming I just crap at this lark, I'll still keep trying though.

Perhaps your training regime needs a shake up?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I've worked harder than I think I ever have this winter to get to a stage where I could start placing in road races again, achieve some time goals in Sportives and some PBs in my time trialling...

First block of races is halfway done 2 road races down at which I finished midfield (like I did the last 5 years!), reliaibility ride (that always degenerates into a race!) and a 25 to come on the next 2 sundays... Been concentrating on eating right, stretching, hydrating properly, not drunk any alcohol in 4 weeks and won't until after the 25.

So why do I bother? I don't seem to be getting the results and I've now got a stinking cold and so porbably wont get anything on sunday. Really peed off. :evil: :x :evil:

Could it be that, although you're fitter and stronger, your race strategy needs a bit of work, to help you finish further up the field?...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • antikythera
    antikythera Posts: 326
    I've been trying to get into racing shape for quite a few months now. One of my primary goals is weight loss.

Like you I've made all the "right" changes.... and got nothing.

Last week I went for bike fitting and metabolic test, where I spoke at length to the folks there. When I described what I'd been doing they said it all sounded right on paper. But with the test results and some further digging seems that.... while I'm doing the right thing in my head, maybe an impartial and external observer would see it differently.

I'm not saying your not trying to do what you say, but maybe getting a objective opinion from someone with first hand experience of your work would shed some light!.

PS After making changes based on the advice given to me... a) I realised that I wasn't doing what I thought doing and b) I'm now making real steps to my goals
  • I've been working with a coach for the first time since about October and she's given my training a good shke up, more quality, less quantity. I'm certainly fitter and stronger than i've been since about 2007.

I think the strategy comment is probably fair. i'm unused ot being ina position where I can influence the outcome of a race these days, so I need to get in that mindset again.

I think i'm just annoyed at getting a bloody cold and feeling like crap!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • if you are racing the same people maybe they have got fitter too. :)

I know some weak riders who get top 10s because of good tactics.

dont give up: for every pro rider there are probably 20 who could have got there but gave up too soon

your annoyance shows you are passionate about it. use this as a springboard to up your motivation next time you are about to start soft pedalling on a climb because you arent feeling good.

i get the same feelings on the turbo but I have to get angry and fire myself up. my power is going up because of it.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    The only way to get into racing shape is to race.
    It's going to take more than a couple of races, be patient.
    If you stop living the good life now and go back to drinking etc then you will not improve plus that is what the majority would do, so don't do it.
  • Should probably clarify here... I'm not new to this game I've been racing for 10 years now, I usually go better than most in the early season, because i do so much over the winter. I've felt in the racing I've done that I've been ahead of previous years but I think, as I said, tactics have a part to play (not been in a position to make attacks, chase moves etc for about 3 years!)

AS for the lifestyle stuff, I'm not a big drinker or a pie-lover or anything. Just trying to be a bit more dedicated this year particularly around blocks of several races in consecutive weekends.

Thanks for the kind words and encouragement guys, think we all get a bit low when things dont go as we'd hope ! As my regular training buddy said "It's amazing how much you have to put in just to be crap at racing bikes!"

@gietvangent
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Percy Vera wrote:
    If you stop living the good life now and go back to drinking etc then you will not improve plus that is what the majority would do, so don't do it.

Sorry that makes you sound like a reformed Alco - didn't mean to :lol:

When you did your own training plan, and you went better than most in the early season - how did you fair later on? Maybe you peaked for your first few races then didn't improve after that??

Your new coach on the other hand will be working toward to goal you have set this year.

Talk to her, tell her how you feel, she should be able to put your mind at rest.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I've been having a similar issue - loads of work, seemingly no reward.

Then all of a sudden my body has had an epiphany and I couldn't believe how I was going on my local chain gang on Monday night. It was the first one I'd done since before christmas.

I had dropped riders on the final climb that used to drop me every time.

My average power for 2hrs 45 mins was higher than I could manage for an hour 3 months ago...

Just keep at it!
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    DON'T PANIC!!
    If you're ill don't worry about taking some time off. If you've been doing loads more this winter you're possibly a bit tired so enjoy the rest and definitely don't start doing more because you think you're behind. I'm sure it'll all just fall into place when you're not expecting it.
    From reading what you've been doing I'm sure you'll have a great year.
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Yes, keep at it. Road racing is not just about who's the fittest, it's how you use your fitness. When you feel strong it's all too easy to burn it all at the start.

Being fitter is a very good thing, and you should try to build on that during the season.

Sportives and TTs are a bit different, because they're individual efforts (generally). If you're fitter, your times will improve. Again though, it's important to pace yourself.

Getting sick is a pain and it happens to all of us. Just nurse yourself through it and be a bit flexible with your goals. There's still lots of racing left this season.
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Well - I was going great guns until mid-January. Then I got injured.

Since coming back - I just seem to be going backwards. The more I train, the slower I get! Not sure what's going on with me, but need to sort it out double-quick.

Going back to basics now - and starting my training plan all over again. It was paying off before the injury, so hopefully I can build up from the ground once again.

Frustrating as all hell - but it's a long-term plan so just have to do the work and be patient. The gains will come. The season is long and there are many races to be lost in the meantime. :)
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Phil,
    I think the standard of racing increases each season as well. I split my season now having done some testing last season and enjoyed it. SO I set myself goals on what I want to do with the testing (e.g. sub 20'30 ten and sub 55'30 for a 25).
    For the road racing - well it is definatley more competitive in the NE region than it was 5 years ago - so whilst I reckon I am fitter than ever and my numbers back this up, I don't actuallty have my first RR until mid April, but I am expecting much the same - hold my own in 2/3/4 events but I just can't see me winning a 2/3/4 road race.

Maybe that's partly my problem - in Tt and hill climbs I now expect to go well, RR's I hope to have a good race.

you're right - the dedication we need to be average is not evident in other UK amateur sporting pursuits.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    if you are racing the same people maybe they have got fitter too. :)

I know some weak riders who get top 10s because of good tactics.

dont give up: for every pro rider there are probably 20 who could have got there but gave up too soon

your annoyance shows you are passionate about it. use this as a springboard to up your motivation next time you are about to start soft pedalling on a climb because you arent feeling good.

i get the same feelings on the turbo but I have to get angry and fire myself up. my power is going up because of it.

I do not think a rider who gets top 10 places can be described as week, unless there were only 10 riders racing !!

You have to have tactics and fitness to get placings unless your a really good sprinter.
  • inseine
    I do not think a rider who gets top 10 places can be described as week, unless there were only 10 riders racing !!

You have to have tactics and fitness to get placings unless your a really good sprinter.

True, but what he's trying to say, i think, is the ratio of fitness to tactics is different for everyone. I'm living proof a reasonable results through many years of expert wheel sucking :D
  • celbianchi wrote:
    Phil,
    I think the standard of racing increases each season as well. I split my season now having done some testing last season and enjoyed it. SO I set myself goals on what I want to do with the testing (e.g. sub 20'30 ten and sub 55'30 for a 25).
    For the road racing - well it is definatley more competitive in the NE region than it was 5 years ago - so whilst I reckon I am fitter than ever and my numbers back this up, I don't actuallty have my first RR until mid April, but I am expecting much the same - hold my own in 2/3/4 events but I just can't see me winning a 2/3/4 road race.

Maybe that's partly my problem - in Tt and hill climbs I now expect to go well, RR's I hope to have a good race.

you're right - the dedication we need to be average is not evident in other UK amateur sporting pursuits.

Glad to hear somebody else say this! I'm convnced that the standard of the average 3rd cat is waaaaay higher than it was 5 years ago. For example, Sundays RR was 102km with 1000m of climbing and run off at 36kph.

@gietvangent
  • LittleB0b
    LittleB0b Posts: 416
    celbianchi wrote:

:?: - Nope actually that pretty much applies to all sports
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Then all of a sudden my body has had an epiphany and I couldn't believe how I was going on my local chain gang on Monday night. It was the first one I'd done since before christmas.
    I'm starting to realise that the body's (or at least my body's) response to training is not linear - you can go for ages seemingly pushing against a brick wall, and then for no apparent reason, you breakthrough to a new level.

I managed a new PB on my little training loop last night, and even more encouraging, it was on the last of 8 laps rather than the 1st. Can't wait to get my Powertap back from the menders to verify how I'm feeling.

I think that having the belief that your training is working (and having faith in your coach or training plan if self-coached) is almost as important as doing the training itself. I'm starting to feel quite religious about my cycling at the moment - just waiting for the miracle now! :wink:
  • inseine
    I managed a new PB on my little training loop last night, and even more encouraging, it was on the last of 8 laps rather than the 1st. Can't wait to get my Powertap back from the menders to verify how I'm feeling.

Maybe you set a PB beacuse you didn't have your PowerTap? :wink:
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    inseine wrote:
    Maybe you set a PB beacuse you didn't have your PowerTap? :wink:
    No - I set a new PB because I've trained harder than ever before this winter.............and it's finally starting to show results.

I don't really take much notice of the numbers while I'm actually training. (But it would've been nice to set some a new PB for 45min NP which I'm pretty sure I did last night).
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    stonehouse wrote:
    Not that I'm competing, but I've also done the same since just before Christmas, I've not made any gains either, I'm assuming I just crap at this lark, I'll still keep trying though.

Perhaps your training regime needs a shake up?

+1 for the training shake up. We all get into grooves and sometimes tend to stay there, thinking that we are doing the correct thing, but......
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    LittleB0b wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

I dunno - I reckon other sports I've done have required less dedication to reach a higher standard. Certainly your average club runner does much less than your average cyclist.

It's not just sport either - if I'd spent the last 7 years practicing a martial art every day I think I'd be pretty good by now - if I'd spent an hour a day playing an instrument I'd want to be more than average - as it is I'm an average 3rd cat cyclist .

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • smithy1.0
    smithy1.0 Posts: 439

I dunno - I reckon other sports I've done have required less dedication to reach a higher standard. Certainly your average club runner does much less than your average cyclist.

It's not just sport either - if I'd spent the last 7 years practicing a martial art every day I think I'd be pretty good by now - if I'd spent an hour a day playing an instrument I'd want to be more than average - as it is I'm an average 3rd cat cyclist .

That's probably why some regard it as the toughest sport in the world...
  • celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    LittleB0b wrote:
    celbianchi wrote:

Exactly - I played senior football at a reasonable level throughout my teens and twenties and was far less disciplined in training and nutrition than I have been with my competitive cycling.
    I have had what I think some half decent race results across RR, TT and hillclimbs, but these have required a hell of a lot more focus than my football ever needed.