Target mileage for sportive events

Robi45
Robi45 Posts: 49
Hi
First post on the training section of the site so please bear with me...and a couple of basic questions. I read the article on training advice for sportives in the current issue of C Plus and was surprised with the claim that you should complete in excess of the distance of your chosen event iin one ride, (so for example complete 100 miles if entered for a 90 miler) and do this 6 weeks prior of your event? Is this true?

I am a more experienced runner than cyclist where the rule of thumb for say a marathon or half marathon would be 80% of the distance, with the final training run 2 or 3 weeks prior in order to taper.

What date before an event do folks generally complete their main training ride?

If the C Plus advice is true, then given the way the weather has been and just a general lack of opportunity to train, I've had it as Im entered for the Etape Caledonia in mid May. I was hoping to complete a warm up event at two weeks prior but maybe that's counter-productive....

Comments

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I've been told many times that if you can ride 75% of the distance in training - you should be able to ride 100% of the distance on the day.

Final ride at 'full' distance will depend on personal fitness, training load and the actual distance needed to be ridden on the day.

If it was a short ride (50 miles or less), I wouldn't think twice about completing the same distance a few days before the event Wednesday for a weekend event). Longer distance - maybe a week before the event.

But that is ME. Can't speak for what is 'correct'.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    If you can complete 80% of your target distance over similar terrain 3-4 weeks before your target event (without leaving you completely shattered), then you'll be fine on the day.
  • Brindy
    Brindy Posts: 45
    I did a sportive for abit of fun last year and was doing about 85miles most weeks up to the event which was 110miles. I found the major thing is that I didn't eat/drink enough as the sportive was on a much hillier route than at home.
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    i think psychologicaly ( is that spelt right?!) its nice to know you can do the full distance prior to an event.i have been working up to the cheshire cat and done a few 65 miles rides as well as a couple of 75 milers, so quite happy with the distance.my events after cheshire cat will be 100milers so will make sure i can do 100mile plus rides beforehand so i feel confident in my ability. also its pointless doing say 65 mile flat miles if you are going to do a hilly sportive as it makes a big difference to your energy levels
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    I read that C+ article too and was puzzled by it - I've never seen it recommended before that you should ride over-distance 6 weeks before the event and then taper...

Like you, coming from running, if training for a marathon then every designed-for-amateurs training plan I've ever seen suggests working up to 20 or 22 miles 3 weeks before the event and tapering down in those last 3 weeks.

That's running though, where the muscle & joint damage of 20-odd milers, of a weekly training load of 40-50 miles, needs to be sorted-out by the 3 week taper so you're in peak shape on marathon day.

Cycling doesn't have that same damage, so you could possibly go out and do 100 miles the weekend before your event and still be OK (although I wouldn't recommend it : perhaps 2 weeks would be better)
    - but certainly not 6 weeks before and then a 6 week taper !

Like others have said, if you're doing a 100mile sportive, you need to have trained on similar terrain, for similar sorts of times/duration, similar sorts of distances but if you can do 70miles+ then come event day you'll get round and finish fine.

What's Etape Caledonia - that's a bit shorter, 70 miles or so ?
    If so, then if you have done 3 or more 50-55+ milers then you'd get round fine
    - event day excitement, lots of other riders around you, you'll do it