OT: Smoking ban in cars

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Greg66 wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    only against smoking in cars etc where small children are involved.

Yeah, well, I think we can all agree that small children should most certainly *not* smoke in cars. :wink:
    Smoking kids is ok, once you can get the blighters lit. :wink:
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    why thank you spen for your usual and useful clarity on the subject....what was i thinking....ashtrays inside pubs indeed hohohoho......i am glad i have you to show me the error of my thoughts! :D

maybe the government should put more ashtrays outside....oh they have you say...and now the firebrigade gets called every 20 minutes to one edinburgh street (George Street) toextinguish a flaming bin! thats a great idea! and at no cost to the tax purse either. marvellous

Littering is an issue not soley restricted to cigarette ends. and everyone should be responsible for their own litter.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    Greg66 wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    no ban smoking in cars which makes drivers worse.

So don't ban shite drivers? Just ban the thing that makes them shiter?

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

How do you propose to ban shite drivers? So you think smoking in a car is safe?
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    thiscocks wrote:
    Greg66 wrote:
    thiscocks wrote:
    no ban smoking in cars which makes drivers worse.

So don't ban shite drivers? Just ban the thing that makes them shiter?

Yeah. That makes a lot of sense.

How do you propose to ban shite drivers? So you think smoking in a car is safe?

we would need some kind of points system where when you do something stupid, you get some points. The more stupid the thing you do, the more points you get, and once you get...say 12 points....you lose your licence. :shock:

now if only we had such a system..oh wait
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    ...yeah good idea actually- should be 3 points for smoking in the car.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What you should actually have is a smoking licence, as well as an eating licence, a mobile phone licence, a talking to kids licence... you have to take a driving test while smoking/eating/talking on the phone/talking to kids, and if you can show that you've enough of a brain in your head that it doesn't have a detrimental effect on your driving, you're good to go.
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    They should just enforce driving without due care and attention better.

This would take into account poor multitasking wheel + something else - be that an apple, lipstick, a mobile phone, or a fag. Why have lots of different specific laws?

As for the not passive smoking in a car - yes it's awful when you see kids in a car with someone who's puffing on a cig - but really how often do you see that?

Lots of little awful things happen in isolation all over the place, you can't expect to stop it all with a new law.
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    cee wrote:
    why thank you spen for your usual and useful clarity on the subject....what was i thinking....ashtrays inside pubs indeed hohohoho......i am glad i have you to show me the error of my thoughts! :D

maybe the government should put more ashtrays outside....oh they have you say...and now the firebrigade gets called every 20 minutes to one edinburgh street (George Street) toextinguish a flaming bin! thats a great idea! and at no cost to the tax purse either. marvellous

Littering is an issue not soley restricted to cigarette ends. and everyone should be responsible for their own litter.

I agree entirely that everyone should be responsible for their own litter.

Sadly too many smokers think being responsible equates to stubbing cigarette out PERIOD. Apparently its the responsibility of pubs/ councils/ governments etc that the stubbs are on the floor.

Sadly smokers have contributed to their own pariah status by their generally selfish attitude in smoking in presence of people who may not want to inhale smoke and leaving their litter elsewhere
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    It's funny how people only get upset about their rights when driving their fecking car is involved. :roll:
  • Porgy wrote:
    It's funny how people only get upset about their rights when driving their fecking car is involved. :roll:

Err, the proposal is to ban smoking in cars. That's different to banning driving. Like, totally not the same.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Porgy
    cee wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    cee wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    I still get some feckers blowing smoke in my face - do they never learn? :evil:

do they do this to you on purpose?

why do you ask?

just some of the things you have described sound (does typing sound??) like a deliberate attack on you....if thats the case, then no wonder you are fed up of it....

I just don't get smoke blown in my face. That I notice anyway. and if anyone would notice...its a man who has only stopped smoking 9 days ago.

Well it happens to me - and it's not deliberate I'm sure just sheer ignorance. And no it doesn't happen that often - but when it does happen it's extremely unpleasant. Maybe you should give it longer than 9 days before accusing me of paranoia/ fantasisiing / exagerating - or whatever it is you're insinuating there.
  • Porgy
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

Err, the proposal is to ban smoking in cars. That's different to banning driving. Like, totally not the same.

I didn't say anything about banning driving? :?
  • Porgy
    spen666 wrote:
    [Sadly smokers have contributed to their own pariah status by their generally selfish attitude in smoking in presence of people who may not want to inhale smoke and leaving their litter elsewhere

+1

I agree with Spen

:? :oops:
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    As a cigar smoker, I don't smoke in the car as it completely stinks out the interior + I have kids in there, so it owould be awful for them.

However, I do have a Mercedes with a factory fit humidor (tis true!) and it is very nice to be able to carry ones smokes in the best environment for them - then have a smoke when putting up the tent on camping trips or dog walking in Wales.

used to smoke cigars and cigarettes when I was driving, but that was a very long time ago when I was a single man without any kids.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    SO let me get this right - if I do something in my PRIVATE area - it's OK, even if it's against the law, etc, etc?

Because a lot of people seem to be saying that because it's your home or your own private car - you should be able to do whatever the hell you want.

The point of the 'law' should it ever come into effect - is to protect children who don't have the choice whether to be there or not - and whose health DOES get affected from inhaling second-hand smoke in such a confined space. Smoking in the home is bad, but at least the space isn't as confined.

It is also well and good to say the law would be unenforceable - but if it WAS a law - people would think twice before lighting up in their cars. It wouldn't prevent the problem all-together, but you would see a serious reduction in the number of people smoking in cars.

Just the same way that even though using a mobile in the car is illegal and yet people still do it - if it was fully legal, EVERYONE would still be doing it.

Smoking should be illegal full stop. But proba££y never will be.
  • Porgy
    My shoes are private - I can do whatever I like inside my private shoes. :twisted:
  • lost_in_thought
    Pokerface wrote:
    SO let me get this right - if I do something in my PRIVATE area - it's OK, even if it's against the law, etc, etc?

Because a lot of people seem to be saying that because it's your home or your own private car - you should be able to do whatever the hell you want.

Actually, I don't think anyone's saying that.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Pokerface wrote:

Indeed - no-one has said that - what a bizarre perspective to take on this issue.
  • Porgy
    b) A private car is just that - private. 'Nuff said.
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.

why?
  • lost_in_thought
    Porgy wrote:

What's your point?
  • Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.

why?

Deeply unimaginative.

Can't remember where you stand on riding + ipod/mp3s, but consider this: you can listen to the music of your choice at home. But use of an ipod/mp3 player whilst riding a bike is banned.

Even if your personal view is that that's a Good Thing, presumably you can see that it is something that won't be universally popular, and might just really irk some people? And might even be considered a bad idea by some people who disapprove of riding with an ipod/mp3 player?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Smoking is bad for you in general, you shouldn't do it. Your choice but them's the facts. (I Still get cravings)

back when I smoked I sometimes get head rushes and a heavy feeling, I couldn't drive feeling like that. Also I'm of the thought that when driving you should be focused on driving and driving only, not driving and doing something else.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Porgy
    Greg66 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.

why?

Deeply unimaginative.

who me?
  • W1
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.

why?

Why not? A car is an expensive item, people quite rightly get upset when their use is curtailed, especially bearing in mind that for many using a car is a necessity, and particularly when it is a private space.

Nothing to do with smoking in cars, obviously.
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:

What's your point?
    Pokerface wrote:

• Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    Porgy wrote:

What's your point?

The point is - by saying that it's a private car (or private residence as someone else said) you are implying that you can do whatever you want in, regardless of the consequences, and that the government shouldn't be able to have a say.

And by 'you' I mean the figurative 'you'
  • Porgy
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    W1 wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

As they should.

why?

Why not? A car is an expensive item, people quite rightly get upset when their use is curtailed, especially bearing in mind that for many using a car is a necessity, and particularly when it is a private space.

Nothing to do with smoking in cars, obviously.

I think the key word there is "only" - why should they only get upset when their car is involved?
  • W1
    Pokerface wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

What's your point?

The point is - by saying that it's a private car (or private residence as someone else said) you are implying that you can do whatever you want in, regardless of the consequences, and that the government shouldn't be able to have a say.

And by 'you' I mean the figurative 'you'

I would like to think that to the greatest degree possible in the realms of the law that should be true. Banning smoking in your own home is a step to far and without justification. Same for the car.

But then everyone else wants to ban everything (until it comes to banning something they enjoy, when all of a sudden it's a 'uman right).