Turbo trainer issues

Champy79
Champy79 Posts: 46
Hi

Can anyone help, does the back tyre pressure cause any issues on a turbo trainer?. For some reason I get on the trainer and I have it on the lowest gear and lowest setting and its like riding through mud. This doesnt happen all the time but intermittently, so I wondered if there was a correct tyre pressure for the turbo.

Comments

• ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Personally , to aid repeatability of result I check/ pump teh rear tyre prior to every session on the turbo. Think Tacx say that low pressure affects readouts on their models adn will also increase tyre wear.
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    The roller might be a bit too tight against the wheel?
  • Edwin
    Edwin Posts: 785
    You want less pressure than you'd have on the road, so 80 -90 PSI seems to be the usual recommendation. Is the tyre actually slipping against the roller? It just needs to make contact firmly without being too tight. You;ll know it's too tight if you put some power down and smell burning after a few minutes.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Champy79 wrote:
    Hi

Can anyone help, does the back tyre pressure cause any issues on a turbo trainer?. For some reason I get on the trainer and I have it on the lowest gear and lowest setting and its like riding through mud. This doesnt happen all the time but intermittently, so I wondered if there was a correct tyre pressure for the turbo.

What turbo do you have? Is it a fluid one?
    More problems but still living....
  • Champy79
    Champy79 Posts: 46
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Tacx_ ... rainer/536

I have the Tacx sirius soft gel magnetic turbo. Im not sure how you adjust the turbo so the roller is not too tight
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    Edwin wrote:
    You want less pressure than you'd have on the road, so 80 -90 PSI seems to be the usual recommendation. Is the tyre actually slipping against the roller? It just needs to make contact firmly without being too tight. You;ll know it's too tight if you put some power down and smell burning after a few minutes.

The Tacx forum normally recommends higher than normal pressure. I use 140 psi and a 2 turns (from just touching)