Best dynamo-operated light

Uebermensch
Uebermensch Posts: 8
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Which one, in your experience (or your understanding), is the most efficient dynamo-operated light?

- Supernova E3 Pro (symmetrical/asymmetrical beam design)

- Supernova E3 Triple (symmetrical/asymmetrical beam design)

- Edelux Schmidt

- Busch & Müller Lumotec IQ Cyo

Comments

• PeterBL
    PeterBL Posts: 209
    Does price matter? If so, I would definitely go for the IQ Cyo. You can buy three or four of those for the price of the others. It can be had for around 50GBP in Germany.

From my understanding, the Cyo and the Schmidt are very similar (using the same bulb), but the Schmidt being a bit better. But for me, price matters. And I rather like the look of the Cyo.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I really would like to have a play with decent dynamo lighting.
    The E3 Triple looks ace, coupled with a decent hub dynamo.

I'd want to know how draggy they felt though, and how much useful light was really generated. Price point is a bit steep for an experiment though :)
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    Aidy wrote:
    I'd want to know how draggy they felt though, and how much useful light was really generated. Price point is a bit steep for an experiment though :)

I'm the same, but it always feels like a bit of a closed shop when talking about dynamo's, I think I at least need a beard and courdroy jacket to get an answer.

I guess even a basic question is difficult to asnwer though, comparing apples and pears I suppose.

I would buy a dynamo set up tomorrow if I knew it could give out a light comparable to my Magicshine (rated at 900 lumens but some say it's only 400 really) so that I can commute safely on pitch black country lanes. I don't know the answer though, and it really bugs me that it's probably the only bike related question I have never found an answer to.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    I can't compare these lights because I've only used the Cyo. However, I do think the Cyo is fantastic - a big step forward from previous B&M lights in both output and build quality. I have no problem relying on it on unlit country roads at 30mph.

The other lights may be better. But you don't NEED them for road riding.

J
  • essex-commuter
    jedster wrote:
    The other lights may be better. But you don't NEED them for road riding.
    J

It's quite subjective. Early on in this Winter I tried to commute my unlit lanes with just a Fenix LD20 (180 lumens I think), it's a great light / torch but NOT bright enough for me to see potholes as clearly and early as I would like to see them at the speed I ride at.
  • jedster
    I've got a fenix ld20 - I agree it's a great torch but I it's not as good a bike light as the Cyo. It's a bright narrow spot where as the Cyo is a much more useable flood.

For a while I tried using both thinking that the fenix would give me a bit more depth but it really added very little.

BTW, I find that having the cyo mounted on the fork crown makes a difference versus bar mounted lights, it creates more relief on potholes etc.

J
  • essex-commuter
    jedster wrote:
    I've got a fenix ld20 - I agree it's a great torch but I it's not as good a bike light as the Cyo. It's a bright narrow spot where as the Cyo is a much more useable flood.

For a while I tried using both thinking that the fenix would give me a bit more depth but it really added very little.

BTW, I find that having the cyo mounted on the fork crown makes a difference versus bar mounted lights, it creates more relief on potholes etc.

J

That's exactly the sort of comparison I have been looking to read, thanks!

If the Fenix had the same flood as the Cyo would you say it was comparable brightness...I know it's difficult to say, but just an indicator please?
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    Again, sorry not personal experience but a mate of mine has a Dynamo set up on His Thorn, I think its a Schmidt dynamo hub and Busch and Muller Lumotec Halogen light. He likes it, and its pretty bright, but does opt for another battery handle bar light as well when in deep winter on unlit country roads
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jedster
    If the Fenix had the same flood as the Cyo would you say it was comparable brightness...I know it's difficult to say, but just an indicator please?

my sense is that the total "volume" of light emitted by the Cyo is greater, if that makes sense. i.e., if the fenix had a similar pattern it would be less powerful.
    I think its a Schmidt dynamo hub and Busch and Muller Lumotec Halogen light

To be clear B&M halogen lights are at least a couple of generations old. I had one then replaced it with a similar model but with an LED replacing the halogen bulb, which was much better. The Cyo then replaced that and is much better again.
  • gert_lush
    gert_lush Posts: 634
    aaahh fair enough, goes to show I have no idea what I am talking about, I'll keep quiet :roll: :P
    FCN 8 mainly
    FCN 4 sometimes
  • jedster
    aaahh fair enough, goes to show I have no idea what I am talking about, I'll keep quiet

sorry, didn't mean to be harsh - it's quite a good comparison to make. LEDs have made a huge improvement to dyno lights. Light tended to get limited by available power at low speed before LEDS. Now even low speed up hill is enough to kick out close to full power
  • essex-commuter
    gert_lush wrote:
    I have no idea what I am talking about,

You must know about dynamo's, your avatar is a pipe!
  • I have a Cyo and it is very good. Great amount of light put out and good spread. It appears quite well made.
    I also have an IQ Fly which feels much more flimsy, but pretty much the same in respect of light and spread.
    I would suspect the Edelux would be a quality product, but then it is a lot more to pay.
  • brgp
    brgp Posts: 11
    I got a Cyo when if first came out to replace my Solidlight (as I liked the Schmidt E6 spread) and thought it was fantastic. Then the the Schmidt Edulux came out I managed to get hold of one, and it was an improvement on the Cyo (but at a cost). Now I am onto a Supernova E3 Pro and use it as my commuting light.

Given a Cyo and Edulux, I would choose the Cyo, however given a Cyo and a E3 Pro I would choose the Supernova.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sorry to hijack but how exactly do these hub dynamo things work? Do they give a constant beam and not cut out when you stop etc? If it's in the hub, do you have to get it built into the wheel by someone?

My only experience of dynamo lights is when I was a kid and I had one of those lights that had a little spinny thing which rubbed along the edge of the tyre.... It seems things may have moved on.

I use a Fenix LD20 (I think, LD something anyway) which seems very bright to me - I can see it illuminating signs and car reg plates up to 100 metres away, but sounds like these dynamos are even more powerful.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • jedster
    Headhunter,
    Do they give a constant beam and not cut out when you stop etc?

The modern lights have some power storage (via capacitors) that give you a few minutes light when stopped (albeit less bright). B&M call the feature "standlight".
    If it's in the hub, do you have to get it built into the wheel by someone?

Yes but I have bought fairly cheap wheels built on Shimano dyno hubs off fleabay for £60. They do me fine for commuting. If you want something really plush for audax etc on your best bike then you can spend loads more.
    I use a Fenix LD20 (I think, LD something anyway) which seems very bright to me - I can see it illuminating signs and car reg plates up to 100 metres away, but sounds like these dynamos are even more powerful.

As I tried to say above, Fenix torches provide a narrow but bright spot - they will illuminate signs further away than my cyo. The issue is, how useful is this for cycling? The cyo provides a pool of light which is IME much better for seeing pot holes, road debris, etc. A hub dyno can generate 2.4 W or 3 W depending on the model - that is a fair amount of power.

J
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks for the reply. These hub lights sound interesting but I'm not sure I can be bothered to get my wheels rebuilt with a new hub....
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    It is worth it, the best place for advice is your local beardy touring shop, they generally have tried most of these and can help you with the ins and outs of each setup.
  • jedster
    Thanks for the reply. These hub lights sound interesting but I'm not sure I can be bothered to get my wheels rebuilt with a new hub....

Why not buy a cheap wheel and see how you like it? You can always go for something more plush if you find it works for you.
  • Headhuunter
    jedster wrote:

Why not buy a cheap wheel and see how you like it? You can always go for something more plush if you find it works for you.

Yeah could try that. Does it cost a lot to get a wheel built up round a dynamo hub? I can imagine bike shops charging a fair whack for that...
  • jedster
    don't know - never done it, just bought ready built wheels off ebay
  • Headhuunter
    jedster wrote:
    don't know - never done it, just bought ready built wheels off ebay

Oh Ok, so you buy the wheel with the dynamo hub already in it. Excuse my questions but how does the power come from the hub to the light? I suppose there's some kind of long wire running from the middle of the hub along the frame or something?
  • jedster
    at the edge of the hub (i.e. outside the spokes) is a little socket. It does not turn with the wheel, sits seperately on the axle. You run a wire up one fork leg (wind it around) until you reach the light (typically mounted on the fork crown). You can also connect a rear light to the front light. This means running a wire along the top tube.

BTW - had a quick google for pre-built wheels on dyno hubs. not a lot of choice that I could see. SJS has a few but they are £200 plus (better rims and hubs than mine)
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Spa Cycles do Schmidt hubs on Sputnik or Chrina rims from £188 delivered, they also do Exal rims (17mm, in between the other rims) and would probably quote for a build with that, which should also be a few2 quid cheaper (2 months ago they had the exal / schmidt build for £166). This would be my choice, and they are a great shop and their wheels have a great reputation amongst tourists.
  • Headhuunter
    Thanks. Something to consider, although the whole set up sounds fairly expensive. For some reason I thought the hub was built into the rear but the front sounds more logical!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Well, Spa Cycles do a complete kit (wheel, hub, fittings light) for an amazing £67 if you want to start cheap - look here.
  • Not sure if this is slightly off-topic.

Bought some flashing LED lights in Copenhagen which work by connecting magnets to the wheel, when you pedal the lights flash! Fitted them nicely on the wife's city bike.
    Loads of bikes in Copenhagen have them.

They won't help you see, but may be useful as an additional set of lights on the commute.

http://www.reelight.com/
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    I'd also like to know how bright dynamos are compared against the led lights. So the dynamo lights are rated in watts and some of the leds (the brighter ones it seems to me) are rated in lumens which makes comparison difficult. Perhaps I should buy a dynamo and wire it up to a p7 led light and see what happens. Presumably the dynamo produces a/c current and the p7 would like d/c. Any other problems ? I know this question is silly but that's never stopped me before.
  • beegee
    beegee Posts: 160
    I've just seen this on the good old internet :

http://pilom.com/BicycleElectronics/DynamoCircuits.htm

but it seems not as easy as 'cut the top off the squeezy bottle. . .'. But I like the bit 'This could not only be dangerous to a person's health but upon reconnection to the LED, a dramatic peak current most likely decolors or destroys the LED.'. Now that sounds fun.
  • I had a WOW moment when I got a Scmidt edilux.
    Previously I had a pair of Schmid E6's one edilux is better than two of these.

I cant comment on the others since I have not used themm
    Racing is rubbish you can\'t relax and enjoy it- because some bugger is always trying to get past.