Never Stop to Argue!

2»

Comments

• cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    hoolio wrote:
    I came to the conclusion that arguing with idiots never works anyway, so why put yourself into a fight.

Exactly my philosophy. What do you expect to happen in this sort of situation? At the end of it is the idiot likely to say "good grief. You sir have a very good point and I was being a complete tw@t, I do appologise and wish you well on your way" :D

The best that can happen is that you ride off angrier than you were to start with following the inevitable shouting match and the idiot storms off to the blaring of horns almost killing someone else.

The worst... you've just found the nutter with a knife and an attitude :shock:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548

Glasgow is not too bad at all. Had my fair share of dodgy cars, white van men and taxi's, but no really bad incidents yet. Well apart from one near death experience, but that was in Renfrew.....

I had no real problem when I commuted in Glasgow - the only hassle I've had was in Inverness with some guy in a trade van.

-Spider-
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    There are two quotes that may be worthwhile remembering:

Woody Allen; Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    cjw wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    99.99% of people haven't tried to kill me....

There are around 60,000,000 in the UK, 99.99% who haven't tried to kill you equates to 59,994,000 who haven't tried to kill you.... therefore 6,000 people have tried :shock:

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:

It was a rounded up figure...i got fed up putting the 9s in. Maybe I should have said 99.9999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% but that probably would have been silly and annoying.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    cjw wrote:
    hoolio wrote:
    I came to the conclusion that arguing with idiots never works anyway, so why put yourself into a fight.

Exactly my philosophy. What do you expect to happen in this sort of situation? At the end of it is the idiot likely to say "good grief. You sir have a very good point and I was being a complete tw@t, I do appologise and wish you well on your way" :D

The best that can happen is that you ride off angrier than you were to start with following the inevitable shouting match and the idiot storms off to the blaring of horns almost killing someone else.

The worst... you've just found the nutter with a knife and an attitude :shock:

Actually I have had them do that, but that's another story. Generally it isn't worth arguing.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    The best was some nutter who completely lost it and started bashing his own car. I went away feeling really zen after that. 8)
  • There are two quotes that may be worthwhile remembering:

Woody Allen; Never argue with a fool, they will lower you to their level and then beat you with experience

Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. ~Author unknown, attributed to Mark Twain

And:

Never argue with a fool. There are only two possible outcomes and the best outcome is that you have just won an argument with a fool.
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Porgy wrote:
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    The only weapon I ever had used against me was a black cab - the driver tried to run me down repeatedly - got very close several times - my tactic was to stand there till he got close and then jump at last minute - run like f*ck till he found me again...until I managed to get to the safety of Hyde Park where he couldn't follow me. Being on the pavement didn;t seem to deter him.

If I see a car stop ahead of me these days I stop and wait - if the reverse like the one last week did - I quickly head off in a different direction and hope they don't follow.

you must really p*ss people off!

So when someone attacks me it's my fault?

99.99% of people haven't tried to kill me....so I must be doing OK. this guy must have been a complete looney as all that happened is he overtook me on a mini roundabout while i was signalling to turn right - and just touched me with the side of his cab. Naturally I complained. He went one way and I went the other - then next thing I knew he was trying to kill me.

Whay was any of that my fault?

He'd probably already been pi55ed off by another cyclist. Maybe he'd just seen one go through a red light?

Years ago a private hire cab dangerously close passed me whilst I was cycling in the bus lane along Camberwell New Road out of London between the Oval and Camberwell. I shouted at him, can't remember what though. He slams on his brakes forcing me into the kerb. I get myself and bike onto pavement. He's out of his car shouting he's going to do all sorts to me. Meanwhile I have got my D-lock out of my rucksack and ask him if he wants to argue about it? He declines and clears off. I was a bit younger, fitter and more well built back then.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • bradford
    bradford Posts: 195
    Don,t bother arguing with these sort of people,they are just looking for a confrontation at every turn!! And are just a sad reflection on society.
    I got myself into some bad situations last year,rising to the bait and had to change my attitude towards other road users.
    Which in conlusion was to just ignore and keep my mouth shut in the event of a situation ocurring.What's the point in riding around angry all the time? It's worked for me. :wink:
  • I stopped last night.

Shouted and ranted at them for throwing stuff at me and trying to intimidate me when he was driving illegally in the bus lane.

Car sat in traffic jam, passenger sat in safety of car giggling and giving me the finger.

I see even more red and....

20 seconds later his wing mirror = on road and me = heading off into distance.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Get an Aurora SSC P7 with the Assault Crown.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15739

It's a torch with a serrated end, you never know when idiots may strike.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    seataltea wrote:
    Get an Aurora SSC P7 with the Assault Crown.

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15739

It's a torch with a serrated end, you never know when idiots may strike.

Possession of an offensive weapon?
  • Lazarus
    Lazarus Posts: 1,426
    A punctured bicycle
    On a hillside desolate
    Will nature make a man of me yet ?