Never Stop to Argue!

andrewgturnbull
andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi folks.

I've come to the conclusion that the kind of nutter who wants to stop at the side of the road for a 'discussion' on road ettiquette is exactly the last kind of person you should stop for.

Tonight I was riding through Glasgow rush hour (with a friend) when a nice chap (ned) took exception to us cutting through traffic and twice physically squeezed me against the next car as we tried to filter through the middle...

A frank exchange of views followed through his open window and he sped off as the traffic thinned - only for us to find him waiting at a junction one mile down the road.

Now the thing was, in the meantime I'd seen him stop in a side street and retrieve _something_ from his boot before driving off to wait for us.

What did he get out of the boot? I wasn't about to find out...

Be careful out there!

Cheers, Andy

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    :shock: Yep, discretion the better part of valour. Or he bravely ran away, away...
    Seriously, there are some nutters out there...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    :shock: nutter :shock:
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    edited March 2010
    Agreed. People who stop have the advantage of having sized you up (literally) and figured that they stand a change at doing you harm, especially if they are tooled up. To you, what gets out of the vehicle is an unknown quantity, and as you say they are often people with serious "anger management" issues.

a serious case of small cogs
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    When i was practising TaeKwon Do I was taught the best weapon in a fight is your feet.

"Great!" I thought, "I'm learning a martial art to kick the crap out of people"

"No" says 3rd degree black belt teacher. "They're attached to your legs. Use them and run"
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Ahh, Glasgow.

Its friendly, really.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    Ah! The Glasgow ned. How I miss it!

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/people/people.html

In all seriousness, the furthest I go these days is a disappointed shake of the head or wag of the finger. As soon as you get in a slanging match you draw attention away from the fact that they're dicks and you've done nothing wrong.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Kurako wrote:
    Ah! The Glasgow ned. How I miss it!

http://www.glasgowsurvival.co.uk/people/people.html

In all seriousness, the furthest I go these days is a disappointed shake of the head or wag of the finger. As soon as you get in a slanging match you draw attention away from the fact that they're dicks and you've done nothing wrong.

yup. though in my case I so rarely get problems that it's easy for me.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    jeepers... if it had been a motorbike there wouldn't have been a problem

I really hate people sometimes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Compost
    Compost Posts: 63
    When i was practising TaeKwon Do I was taught the best weapon in a fight is your feet.

"No" says 3rd degree black belt teacher. "They're attached to your legs. Use them and run"

Does TeeKwon Do teach mind reading? Mr Miyagi would have been proud!
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098

Said it before, but I've won all my fights by at least 100 yards.
    :wink:
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Nutter :cry: If I had to ride through glasgow I'd be like this
    http://www.lovehina.me.uk/images/humour ... 0Motiv.jpg
    I know he's on a motorbike but you get the idea
  • metalmonkey
    metalmonkey Posts: 144
    Best advice I can give is no matter what "never put youself on offer" your just asking for problems.

I have words with drivers in the past about their conduct, espically when I though okay this could end real bad. I nearly got run off the road once, i saw this car up ahead there like 4 people in it. Real bad idea to talk with them.

I have real mouth on me, which i use to great effect but it can be counter productive as I have found out.

Also no amount of martial arts can save you in real full on street fight, been there and it didn't end so well.
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    Hi folks.

I've come to the conclusion that the kind of nutter who wants to stop at the side of the road for a 'discussion' on road ettiquette is exactly the last kind of person you should stop for.

Tonight I was riding through Glasgow rush hour (with a friend) when a nice chap (ned) took exception to us cutting through traffic and twice physically squeezed me against the next car as we tried to filter through the middle...

A frank exchange of views followed through his open window and he sped off as the traffic thinned - only for us to find him waiting at a junction one mile down the road.

Now the thing was, in the meantime I'd seen him stop in a side street and retrieve _something_ from his boot before driving off to wait for us.

What did he get out of the boot? I wasn't about to find out...

Be careful out there!

Cheers, Andy

Jesus, not the best..... what part of Glasgow, and what sort of car should I be looking out for?
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"
  • Wallace1492
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Nutter :cry: If I had to ride through glasgow I'd be like this
    http://www.lovehina.me.uk/images/humour ... 0Motiv.jpg
    I know he's on a motorbike but you get the idea

Glasgow is not too bad at all. Had my fair share of dodgy cars, white van men and taxi's, but no really bad incidents yet. Well apart from one near death experience, but that was in Renfrew.....
  • thiscocks
    thiscocks Posts: 549
    I was so pissed off riding in a head-wind in the rain yesterday I was willing a car to cut me up so I could introduce the driver to a new world of pain (bad state of mind I know). Probably a good job I don't live in Glasgow! ie- I'd probably be dead by now.
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I was so pissed of riding into a headwind yesterday I wished I lived in Glasgow. Where they have those big things called building that provide some shelter instead of wide open fields that provide absolutely none :(
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    suzyb wrote:
    I was so pissed of riding into a headwind yesterday I wished I lived in Glasgow. Where they have those big things called building that provide some shelter instead of wide open fields that provide absolutely none :(

Do you ever come up to Glasgow through the week? Maybe you & Wallace & I could grab a coffee/sandwich whatever someday? I think he's just up the road from me most days....

Cheers,
    W.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    The only weapon I ever had used against me was a black cab - the driver tried to run me down repeatedly - got very close several times - my tactic was to stand there till he got close and then jump at last minute - run like f*ck till he found me again...until I managed to get to the safety of Hyde Park where he couldn't follow me. Being on the pavement didn;t seem to deter him.

If I see a car stop ahead of me these days I stop and wait - if the reverse like the one last week did - I quickly head off in a different direction and hope they don't follow.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Porgy wrote:
    The only weapon I ever had used against me was a black cab - the driver tried to run me down repeatedly - got very close several times - my tactic was to stand there till he got close and then jump at last minute - run like f*ck till he found me again...until I managed to get to the safety of Hyde Park where he couldn't follow me. Being on the pavement didn;t seem to deter him.

If I see a car stop ahead of me these days I stop and wait - if the reverse like the one last week did - I quickly head off in a different direction and hope they don't follow.

you must really p*ss people off!
  • Wallace1492
    suzyb wrote:

Yes, you would think that..... But when these big things called buildings funnel the wind down onto the tarmac thing, especially right into your face, it's not the best, and you yearn for the counry!! (Obviously sometimes there are shelter benefits, but Maryhill Road just seems to intensify the wind!)

WGW, sounds good sometime.... always happy for an orange juice or two.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    suzyb wrote:

Yes, you would think that..... But when these big things called buildings funnel the wind down onto the tarmac thing, especially right into your face, it's not the best, and you yearn for the counry!! (Obviously sometimes there are shelter benefits, but Maryhill Road just seems to intensify the wind!)

even worse when the wind hits the building obliquely and you get what amounts to a horizontal tornado zip down the road. :?

I swear I did a barrel roll one time..... :shock:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Paul 8v wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

you must really p*ss people off!

So when someone attacks me it's my fault?

99.99% of people haven't tried to kill me....so I must be doing OK. this guy must have been a complete looney as all that happened is he overtook me on a mini roundabout while i was signalling to turn right - and just touched me with the side of his cab. Naturally I complained. He went one way and I went the other - then next thing I knew he was trying to kill me.

Whay was any of that my fault?

He'd probably already been pi55ed off by another cyclist. Maybe he'd just seen one go through a red light?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    So you have to put up with traffic and weather in the city :shock: Why would you want to cycle there :wink:

Yeah, I'd be up for meeting sometime. Not been in Glasgow for ages, lack of disposable income makes it kinda pointless. But meeting up with some fellow cyclists could give me the impetus to get the bso up and running and try actually completing the goal I'd given up on.
  • Jesus, not the best..... what part of Glasgow, and what sort of car should I be looking out for?

Bishopbriggs - Silver Golf, GN56... something or other. If I'd remembered the rest of the number plate I would have reported the incident.

Cheers, Andy
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Get a helmet cam ............. 8)

HelmetCam02.jpg
    Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Clever Pun wrote:
    jeepers... if it had been a motorbike there wouldn't have been a problem

I really hate people sometimes

They aren't going to try and stop a few hundred kg's of motor bike and rider, but 100kg's and less, probably lighter than them.....

Just not worth it..........fight back with a sneaky cam.....
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    suzyb wrote:

even worse when the wind hits the building obliquely and you get what amounts to a horizontal tornado zip down the road. :?

You two haven't done much cycling on exposed Scottish A roads, have you?

Trust me, there are a lot of wind farms up here for a reason.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    suzyb wrote:

You two haven't done much cycling on exposed Scottish A roads, have you?

Trust me, there are a lot of wind farms up here for a reason.

yup same for some of the more exposed hills in the breacon beacons etc, walk over them in a winter storm and you know it.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    Porgy wrote:
    99.99% of people haven't tried to kill me....

There are around 60,000,000 in the UK, 99.99% who haven't tried to kill you equates to 59,994,000 who haven't tried to kill you.... therefore 6,000 people have tried :shock:

Sorry, couldn't resist :lol:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    I've only had a car pull up and stop me once.
    In summary: Two lanes, I'm in primary in one lane as I've just passed a parked vehicle and there's a juction coming up. Therefore I was in his way so he got along side me and started telling me that he'd had to brake! I responded with something contentious: "I don't know what your problem is mate" which obviously meant I was giving him "attitude".
    When he got out of his silver Merc two things happened. First I had to stop myself from laughing as he struggled to pull himself out of the car and then ambled towards me like a fat short monkey dragging his knuckles on the floor (and that isn't exaggerated for comic effect). Secondly I thought to myself, sht, I really don't want to get into a fight, I'm just on my way to work. I'll have to take my rucksack off and everything.
    There then ensued five minutes of him tellng me that I was a cnt and giving him attitude. I deployed an affable, rational, and almost cheerful mode of engagement and even suggested we find out who had parked the car there as it was in everyones way. That completely threw him, so he carried on calling me cnt for another couple of minutes. Then he got back in his car and cut a couple of people up at the junction and disappeared up the road to the sound of blaring horns.

In retrospect I probably could have avoided the whole confrontation with an intial "Sorry mate" and just carried on. While I can look back and laugh about it now the guy was really looking for a fight at the time and I was expecting punches to start flying.
    I came to the conclusion that arguing with idiots never works anyway, so why put yourself into a fight.