Forum home Road cycling forum Amateur race

Continuing the Salt Ayre thread....

PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Seeing as Will decided to delete the Salt Ayre thread....



Just thought I'd start a new one.

So anyone who wants to discuss the race - can again.

As you were.
«1

Posts

  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    edited March 2010
    The specials olympics jibes probably got the thread pulled tbh

    That's lame. Changed on behalf of the PC Police
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Ahhh.

    I find the use of the word Retard fairly offensive. I have 2 autistic boys who have been called this. As a parent I despair sometimes some words are used loosely, out of context and insultingly. I then have to explain to my sons why they are called names like Retard. Its bad enough kids using it, let alone adults.
  • iain_jiain_j Posts: 1,941
    dmclite wrote:
    Ahhh.

    I find the use of the word Retard fairly offensive. I have 2 autistic boys who have been called this. As a parent I despair sometimes some words are used loosely, out of context and insultingly. I then have to explain to my sons why they are called names like Retard. Its bad enough kids using it, let alone adults.

    +1 :roll:
  • WesterbergWesterberg Posts: 652
    +1 again - oh, actually, you're not allowed to find anything offensive these days: means you have no sense of humour and are part of the PC Brigade, even if you have family affected by these issues similar to DMC. :roll:
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    Westerberg wrote:
    +1 again - oh, actually, you're not allowed to find anything offensive these days: means you have no sense of humour and are part of the PC Brigade, even if you have family affected by these issues similar to DMC. :roll:

    But DMC's kids are autistic. Not suffering from mental retardation.


    So what's your point?
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    I hope you're not trying to call me that...
  • WesterbergWesterberg Posts: 652
    Pokerface wrote:
    Westerberg wrote:
    +1 again - oh, actually, you're not allowed to find anything offensive these days: means you have no sense of humour and are part of the PC Brigade, even if you have family affected by these issues similar to DMC. :roll:

    But DMC's kids are autistic. Not suffering from mental retardation.


    So what's your point?
    ok, so you're telling me it's wrong for him to find it offensive? I hate comedy censorship like the next man. But that joke wasn't funny. Sorry to be so boring and PC.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    No - the joke wasn't funny to YOU. Or some others as well. I found it neither funny nor offensive. And I'd bet some people DID find it funny, even if they don't want to publicly admit it.

    I only object to people taking offense at the adjective 'retarded' - as in that 'joke was retarded'. To call someone a retard is a different ball of wax.

    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.


    And Will - this has nothing to do with you.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    It actually made me feel really uncomfortable to be honest. I didn't like it at all...

    All kids are freakin' awesome and it upset me a little.

    I must be over sensitive or something...
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Pokerface wrote:
    No - the joke wasn't funny to YOU. Or some others as well. I found it neither funny nor offensive. And I'd bet some people DID find it funny, even if they don't want to publicly admit it.

    I only object to people taking offense at the adjective 'retarded' - as in that 'joke was retarded'. To call someone a retard is a different ball of wax.

    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.


    And Will - this has nothing to do with you.

    Don't see why that particular poster of a Downs syndrome child getting the pi55 ripped out of him was acceptable to you. Fair enough you have a physical handicap yourself, I beleive you have had part of a leg amputated, but you are an adult and have gone through a process of acceptance and getting on with your issues. Children can't and they are starting from such a different place. Autism is a mental problem, my boys process and view things so much more differently and therefore need guidance, help and support.
    If you are comfortable with that image and its message, put it up as your avatar. Then you may find people may judge you or see you differently. Then the adjective "retard" that you don't find offensive will take on another aspect.
  • wha thappened? google cache only goes to page 5:

    http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:Ym50 ... =firefox-a
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    Nah, Freehub didn't get it pulled, I reported ANT's post with the "Retard" poster on it and the mods pulled it. Seems most people are not comfortable referring to some kids as retards.
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dmclite wrote:
    Nah, Freehub didn't get it pulled, I reported ANT's post with the "Retard" poster on it and the mods pulled it. Seems most people are not comfortable referring to some kids as retards.

    According to Will, he got the thread deleted because bikeradar is full of [email protected], apparantly.

    That's why I deleted the post Pokerface has quoted (before he quoted it).
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • dmclite wrote:
    Nah, Freehub didn't get it pulled, I reported ANT's post with the "Retard" poster on it and the mods pulled it. Seems most people are not comfortable referring to some kids as retards.

    According to Will, he got the thread deleted because bikeradar is full of [email protected], apparantly.

    That's why I deleted the post Pokerface has quoted (before he quoted it).

    just quoting this before you delete it. :lol:
  • Heckler1974Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    The thread that wasn't there.

    Did I miss much?
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    No. Not at all.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    dmclite wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    No - the joke wasn't funny to YOU. Or some others as well. I found it neither funny nor offensive. And I'd bet some people DID find it funny, even if they don't want to publicly admit it.

    I only object to people taking offense at the adjective 'retarded' - as in that 'joke was retarded'. To call someone a retard is a different ball of wax.

    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.


    And Will - this has nothing to do with you.

    Don't see why that particular poster of a Downs syndrome child getting the pi55 ripped out of him was acceptable to you. Fair enough you have a physical handicap yourself, I beleive you have had part of a leg amputated, but you are an adult and have gone through a process of acceptance and getting on with your issues. Children can't and they are starting from such a different place. Autism is a mental problem, my boys process and view things so much more differently and therefore need guidance, help and support.
    If you are comfortable with that image and its message, put it up as your avatar. Then you may find people may judge you or see you differently. Then the adjective "retard" that you don't find offensive will take on another aspect.

    Well - if I put that photo up as my avatar I would get banned, so I'm not going to do that.

    I stated I am neither offended by nor supportive of the image/joke. But very little offends me as I have thick skin. I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

    You are very close to the issue - so your feelings on the matter are always going to be stronger than mine.
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    The thread that wasn't there.

    Did I miss much?

    No - just an argument over how many times Will got lapped in his last race. Or not as the case may be.
  • softladsoftlad Posts: 3,587
    have I wandered into 'cakestop' by mistake...??

    put a sock in it fellas - with all due respect to the issue being discussed, this is still a racing forum.
  • Heckler1974Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Pokerface wrote:
    No - just an argument over how many times Will got lapped in his last race. Or not as the case may be.

    Oh I caught that bit, just wondering if it got more heated after that....
  • redddraggonredddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited March 2010
    Pokerface wrote:
    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

    Does this offend?

    http://open.spotify.com/track/1gloYGAZI6eHp6MEPjLuL3
    I like bikes...

    Twitter
    Flickr
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    Pokerface wrote:
    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

    Does this offend?

    http://open.spotify.com/track/1gloYGAZI6eHp6MEPjLuL3

    Not me. I'm not Canadian.
  • freehubfreehub Posts: 4,258
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

    Does this offend?

    http://open.spotify.com/track/1gloYGAZI6eHp6MEPjLuL3

    Not me. I'm not Canadian.

    What are you?

    You're not English, American, or Canadian?
  • PokerfacePokerface Posts: 8,640
    freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

    Does this offend?

    http://open.spotify.com/track/1gloYGAZI6eHp6MEPjLuL3

    Not me. I'm not Canadian.

    What are you?

    You're not English, American, or Canadian?

    My passports say I'm Irish or British, depending on which one I use. I also have a birth certificate from Singapore and Canadian Citizenship. But realistically I feel no connection towards any particular heritage or country.
  • softlad wrote:
    have I wandered into 'cakestop' by mistake...??

    put a sock in it fellas - with all due respect to the issue being discussed, this is still a racing forum.

    Precisely! So just how many times did Will get lapped? :wink:

    (joking, btw)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

    PTP Runner Up 2015
  • a_n_ta_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

    :oops:

    Guilty as charged so apologies to those it offended.
    Manchester wheelers

    PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • AnonymousAnonymous Posts: 79,692
    a_n_t wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

    :oops:

    Guilty as charged so apologies to those it offended.

    Fair one, cheers.
  • AggieboyAggieboy Posts: 4,014
    Anyway, Will's upped his training so it doesn't happen again.

    P10002091.jpeg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
Sign In or Register to comment.