Continuing the Salt Ayre thread....

Pokerface
Pokerface Posts: 7,960
edited March 2010 in Amateur race
Seeing as Will decided to delete the Salt Ayre thread....

Just thought I'd start a new one.

So anyone who wants to discuss the race - can again.

As you were.

Comments

• Pokerface
    edited March 2010
    The specials olympics jibes probably got the thread pulled tbh

That's lame. Changed on behalf of the PC Police
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Ahhh.

I find the use of the word Retard fairly offensive. I have 2 autistic boys who have been called this. As a parent I despair sometimes some words are used loosely, out of context and insultingly. I then have to explain to my sons why they are called names like Retard. Its bad enough kids using it, let alone adults.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    dmclite wrote:
    Ahhh.

I find the use of the word Retard fairly offensive. I have 2 autistic boys who have been called this. As a parent I despair sometimes some words are used loosely, out of context and insultingly. I then have to explain to my sons why they are called names like Retard. Its bad enough kids using it, let alone adults.

+1 :roll:
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    +1 again - oh, actually, you're not allowed to find anything offensive these days: means you have no sense of humour and are part of the PC Brigade, even if you have family affected by these issues similar to DMC. :roll:
  • Pokerface
    Westerberg wrote:
    +1 again - oh, actually, you're not allowed to find anything offensive these days: means you have no sense of humour and are part of the PC Brigade, even if you have family affected by these issues similar to DMC. :roll:

But DMC's kids are autistic. Not suffering from mental retardation.

So what's your point?
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    I hope you're not trying to call me that...
  • Westerberg
    Westerberg Posts: 652
    Pokerface wrote:
    Westerberg wrote:

But DMC's kids are autistic. Not suffering from mental retardation.

So what's your point?
    ok, so you're telling me it's wrong for him to find it offensive? I hate comedy censorship like the next man. But that joke wasn't funny. Sorry to be so boring and PC.
  • Pokerface
    No - the joke wasn't funny to YOU. Or some others as well. I found it neither funny nor offensive. And I'd bet some people DID find it funny, even if they don't want to publicly admit it.

I only object to people taking offense at the adjective 'retarded' - as in that 'joke was retarded'. To call someone a retard is a different ball of wax.

But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

And Will - this has nothing to do with you.
  • Anonymous
    It actually made me feel really uncomfortable to be honest. I didn't like it at all...

All kids are freakin' awesome and it upset me a little.

I must be over sensitive or something...
  • Anonymous
    Pokerface wrote:
    No - the joke wasn't funny to YOU. Or some others as well. I found it neither funny nor offensive. And I'd bet some people DID find it funny, even if they don't want to publicly admit it.

I only object to people taking offense at the adjective 'retarded' - as in that 'joke was retarded'. To call someone a retard is a different ball of wax.

But in the same vein - I don't take offense to jokes or terms based around the terms 'cripple, handicapped, gimp, amputee', etc. Even though by rights I could.

Don't see why that particular poster of a Downs syndrome child getting the pi55 ripped out of him was acceptable to you. Fair enough you have a physical handicap yourself, I beleive you have had part of a leg amputated, but you are an adult and have gone through a process of acceptance and getting on with your issues. Children can't and they are starting from such a different place. Autism is a mental problem, my boys process and view things so much more differently and therefore need guidance, help and support.
    If you are comfortable with that image and its message, put it up as your avatar. Then you may find people may judge you or see you differently. Then the adjective "retard" that you don't find offensive will take on another aspect.
  • wha thappened? google cache only goes to page 5:

http://66.102.9.132/search?q=cache:Ym50 ... =firefox-a
  • Anonymous
    Nah, Freehub didn't get it pulled, I reported ANT's post with the "Retard" poster on it and the mods pulled it. Seems most people are not comfortable referring to some kids as retards.
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    dmclite wrote:
    Nah, Freehub didn't get it pulled, I reported ANT's post with the "Retard" poster on it and the mods pulled it. Seems most people are not comfortable referring to some kids as retards.

According to Will, he got the thread deleted because bikeradar is full of w@nkers, apparantly.

That's why I deleted the post Pokerface has quoted (before he quoted it).
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • dmclite wrote:

According to Will, he got the thread deleted because bikeradar is full of w@nkers, apparantly.

That's why I deleted the post Pokerface has quoted (before he quoted it).

just quoting this before you delete it. :lol:
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    The thread that wasn't there.

Did I miss much?
  • Anonymous
    No. Not at all.
  • Pokerface
    dmclite wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Don't see why that particular poster of a Downs syndrome child getting the pi55 ripped out of him was acceptable to you. Fair enough you have a physical handicap yourself, I beleive you have had part of a leg amputated, but you are an adult and have gone through a process of acceptance and getting on with your issues. Children can't and they are starting from such a different place. Autism is a mental problem, my boys process and view things so much more differently and therefore need guidance, help and support.
    If you are comfortable with that image and its message, put it up as your avatar. Then you may find people may judge you or see you differently. Then the adjective "retard" that you don't find offensive will take on another aspect.

Well - if I put that photo up as my avatar I would get banned, so I'm not going to do that.

I stated I am neither offended by nor supportive of the image/joke. But very little offends me as I have thick skin. I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

You are very close to the issue - so your feelings on the matter are always going to be stronger than mine.
  • Pokerface
    The thread that wasn't there.

Did I miss much?

No - just an argument over how many times Will got lapped in his last race. Or not as the case may be.
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    have I wandered into 'cakestop' by mistake...??

put a sock in it fellas - with all due respect to the issue being discussed, this is still a racing forum.
  • Heckler1974
    Heckler1974 Posts: 479
    Pokerface wrote:
    No - just an argument over how many times Will got lapped in his last race. Or not as the case may be.

Oh I caught that bit, just wondering if it got more heated after that....
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    edited March 2010
    Pokerface wrote:

Does this offend?

http://open.spotify.com/track/1gloYGAZI6eHp6MEPjLuL3
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface wrote:

Does this offend?

Not me. I'm not Canadian.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Does this offend?

What are you?

You're not English, American, or Canadian?
  • Pokerface
    freehub wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Does this offend?

What are you?

You're not English, American, or Canadian?

My passports say I'm Irish or British, depending on which one I use. I also have a birth certificate from Singapore and Canadian Citizenship. But realistically I feel no connection towards any particular heritage or country.
  • softlad wrote:
    have I wandered into 'cakestop' by mistake...??

put a sock in it fellas - with all due respect to the issue being discussed, this is still a racing forum.

Precisely! So just how many times did Will get lapped? :wink:

(joking, btw)
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • a_n_t
    a_n_t Posts: 2,011
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

:oops:

Guilty as charged so apologies to those it offended.
    Manchester wheelers

PB's
    10m 20:21 2014
    25m 53:18 20:13
    50m 1:57:12 2013
    100m Yeah right.
  • Anonymous
    a_n_t wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:
    I can also see when something is meant as a joke (albeit in poor taste) and when it is decidedly malicious.

:oops:

Guilty as charged so apologies to those it offended.

Fair one, cheers.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Anyway, Will's upped his training so it doesn't happen again.

P10002091.jpeg
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."