Anyone run AND ride?

bigpikle
bigpikle Posts: 1,690
I spent the last 7 months seriously running AND cycling. I did a half marathon last weekend and for the last few months its been my primary goal/focus - 3 sessions a week approx 25 miles a week. Next goal is my first 100 mile sportive in July.

My cycling has been making steady improvements but today I went out and did my longest ride, at a higher average speed than my recent long rides AND felt really fresh when I finished - like I could have done another 10 miles fairly easily. I have only run once last week rather than my usual 3, but did an extra ride, and I'm wondering if the lack of running played a role in the breakthrough ride I had today?

Anyone run and ride and have any thoughts? I want to keep my run fitness and do another half marathon later in the year, but my primary focus now is riding. Any tips on combining the 2 disciplines for maximum effectiveness?
Your Past is Not Your Potential...

Comments

• Yup - for maximum impact, you need to swim as well!
  • bigpikle
    I do - didnt really mention that :D

2 fairly easy sessions a week usually as its not a focus for me right now, and it doesnt really interfere with the running & cycling.

I dont think I'm going to do any more tri's this year as i want to really build on my cycling base and running. Might do some long course stuff in future instead.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Yes I run & ride - but dont swim! I change focus through teh year tho' - run more in winter and ride more in summer. Cardiovascular benefits/weight management are good but I think you must lose some specificity by doing two slightly different muscle recruitment activities - - which is why tri bikes shift you forward so you are using more running than cycling muscles ... maybe? To be really good at something just do that - to keep reasobable general fitness do a bigger variation of sport/activity!
  • bigpikle
    Yes I run & ride - but dont swim! I change focus through teh year tho' - run more in winter and ride more in summer. Cardiovascular benefits/weight management are good but I think you must lose some specificity by doing two slightly different muscle recruitment activities - - which is why tri bikes shift you forward so you are using more running than cycling muscles ... maybe? To be really good at something just do that - to keep reasobable general fitness do a bigger variation of sport/activity!

I think thats me right now. I ran more last winter for obvious reasons, but now am all about cycling, with whatever I need to keep a decent level of 8-10 mile run fitness.

I guess I just do 2 runs per week (long/short) and use the rest of the week for riding. Key will be separating the long run and ride by as much time as possible to enable recovery I guess.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Yeah I used to run and bike. Have eased off the running due to injury, but steadily getting back into it. I think the cross training is helpful and some running is good for your joints, some impact exercise toughens up the joints. Of course if you run AND ride extensively in any 1 week you wear yuorself down. I sometimes find that if for some reason I can't ride or run for a few days and then jump back on the bike or go for a run, I feel stronger for the break.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    Bigpikle wrote:

I think thats me right now. I ran more last winter for obvious reasons, but now am all about cycling, with whatever I need to keep a decent level of 8-10 mile run fitness.

I guess I just do 2 runs per week (long/short) and use the rest of the week for riding. Key will be separating the long run and ride by as much time as possible to enable recovery I guess.

Yes - getting the timing & recovery right is helpful. Actually I stop running in the summer because I hate running when its hot! (but love cycling!) but then have to endure a certain amount of discomfort when I restart in September :cry:
    Think that running is more weight bearing and better for bone density than cycling alone so a mix is good fro general health if possible.
  • MkyDPky
    MkyDPky Posts: 39
    i run and ride (and swim) and from experience would have thought that if you wanted to keep your running fitness up then all thats needed is 2 runs a week; 1 of an endurance type but it really doesn't have to be anything more than 8miles/1hrish, and then one speedy session to keep speed (threshold/interval/farlek/hills etc).
    if your not doing any specific running events i would see no need in going further than 8 miles as you can always build on that distance quite easily if you were to go for another half marathon, and hopefully you wouldn't be too sore from that which would allow you to cycle the next day.
  • bigpikle
    MkyDPky wrote:
    i run and ride (and swim) and from experience would have thought that if you wanted to keep your running fitness up then all thats needed is 2 runs a week; 1 of an endurance type but it really doesn't have to be anything more than 8miles/1hrish, and then one speedy session to keep speed (threshold/interval/farlek/hills etc).
    if your not doing any specific running events i would see no need in going further than 8 miles as you can always build on that distance quite easily if you were to go for another half marathon, and hopefully you wouldn't be too sore from that which would allow you to cycle the next day.

thanks - that sort of reflects my thinking. I'm sure the endurance benefit from doing a lot of miles each week on the bike will mean 2 runs per week is sufficient to maintain fitness.
  • bexley5200
    bexley5200 Posts: 692
    not at the same time
    going downhill slowly
  • kinesin
    kinesin Posts: 100
    I run, ride and swim and mix it up depending on time available and weather forecast, and how I feel.

Like others I tend to do more cycling than running in the summer. But will swim at the gym a least 4 times a week.
    If i have time I'll drop into a spin class and/or do 8/5km run on the treadmill before the swim - I find that I get a much better recovery doing 20min in the pool after these sessions and my legs will be good for the next day.
    Used to do tri (may start again) so no longer force myself to do brick sessions :-) but if I get get my run pace a little faster a 1/2 marathon will be done later in the year.
    First goal to get back to a sub 20 minute 5km..

Great news is you can eat even more if you run as well as cycle, cheesecake bonus for the swim :P
  • onthefells
    onthefells Posts: 157
    as an ex runner turned cyclist due to a knee injury I feel that running is a more effective cardiovascular exercise and that to get a similar benefit from cycling I need to be on the bike for between 2-3x as long. ie a 1 hour run is equivalent to a 2-3 hr bike ride. this largely is due to the weight bearing inherent in running but not cycling......

so my advice would be do most of your interval/high heart rate exercise running and use the bike as the long steady aspect of your training where you need to do the 4 hour plus sessions. this will also limit your chance of injury.
  • Started running the other day! Ran 5 miles through hilly forest tracks. By god it was hard! Legs felt like jelly after even though I can cycle pretty well.

Legs are still painful 2 days later. I reckon running will be good cardiovascularly though.

Stevie.
  • Runnings great for cardio, really noticed the improvement when climbing hills on the bike.
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455
    onthefells wrote:
    as an ex runner turned cyclist due to a knee injury I feel that running is a more effective cardiovascular exercise and that to get a similar benefit from cycling I need to be on the bike for between 2-3x as long. ie a 1 hour run is equivalent to a 2-3 hr bike ride. this largely is due to the weight bearing inherent in running but not cycling......

Something like this rings a bell:

1 mile swimming = 4 miles running = 16 miles cycling

YMMV of course.

I'm currently training for a 10k this weekend, and a half-marathon at the end of September. I'm planning on doing the Tri4Life duathlon beginning of September, so it gives me all summer to concentrate on the bike, whilst maintaining a good base running ability and increasing the long run distance.
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    I run and cycle.
    I do lots of long distance stuff- marathons and the like - and find that my 200mpw cycle commuting replaces a fair bit of the "recovery runs" I used to do.
    It's no substitute for endurance running though.

I reckon the best compromise when doing both sports is:

hard running sessions (tempo / intervals) Tues & Thurs
    Long run Sunday (16-20 miles, when marathon training; 12-15 for half marathon training)
    Lots of decent effort cycling in between
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire