Sram X7. 10spd and carbon!!!

nicklouse
nicklouse Posts: 50,675
edited March 2010 in MTB general
1268843988322-1l4znuxit6a69-798-75.jpg

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/n ... iled-25411
SRAM just released details of their 2011 X7 10-speed mountain bike group — yes, it’s a whole group — which is aimed squarely at mid-level cross-country and entry-level downhillers, but looks downright desirable to any mountain rider on a budget.
"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
Parktools :?:SheldonBrown

Comments

• ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    does this not make x.9 kind of pointless?
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • nicklouse
    more like it shows that there will be big changes to X9 and X0 but looks like they will be 2 X 10 as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    lets hope so
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    let the gear war begin :twisted: im lovin all this ten speed stuff, shimano should be going ten speed from slx and above next year, so hopefully sram will follow suit.
  • lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    sorry to butt in, would 10X1 , on the new X7, good idea?
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Looks nice...but that "carbon fibre" just looks like a sticker on top of a normal arm to me (not that i'd complain!)
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Looks nice...but that "carbon fibre" just looks like a sticker on top of a normal arm to me (not that i'd complain!)

It does look more like a sticker doesn't it.

I wonder, do you need to use the chainset to get it to work? No way I'm fitting a non-Shimano chainset after the Truative toss I've had in the past.
  • P-Jay wrote:
    I wonder, do you need to use the chainset to get it to work? No way I'm fitting a non-Shimano chainset after the Truative toss I've had in the past.

Well, if what lawman says comes true, you should be able to get a Shimano one soon.

The carbon fibre does look like a sticker, but if it is genuine CF, surely that would bump the price up similar to current X.0 or XTR (with the carbon cages) meaning that X.7 wouldn't really be a "budget" groupset any more. And if it is a sticker, why bother? Be a sheep in wolfs clothing, draped in the tinsel of high tech, cutting edgeness. Like putting a Ferrari badge on a Fiesta.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 On One Il Pompino in SS CX mode!
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Forgive me for bursting all your bubbles but........you will need a new hub/wheel to fit the 10spd cassette will you not.

That would also bump the price up so what sram are saying about making it more accessible is absolute bollox since hardly anyone runs 10spd at the moment.

I do like like the look of it though :wink:
  • Road 10 speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, so why should MTB be any different? Will need a narrower chain but that would be fine.
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    edited March 2010
    Road 10 speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, so why should MTB be any different? Will need a narrower chain but that would be fine.

Well if thats the case then I will be waiting a bit longer to get a new drivetrain :wink:
  • nicklouse
    Road 10 speed cassettes are the same size as nine speed, so why should MTB be any different? Will need a narrower chain but that would be fine.

nope they are not. their basses are narrower (which is why you need the spacer) but the body is wider as it sits closer to the spokes.
  • P-Jay
    I don't 'think' you need a new hub, the gears are further pushed together so you need and even narrower (and fragile - maybe) chain than 9sp.

That could be complete fiction though.

Personally I wont be spending money on a 10sp set-up, I'm just not that efficiant, but I guess my next bike, or the one after will come with it OE.
  • Note: Shimano 8- and 9- and 10-speed cassettes/hubs are fully interchangeable for wheels with steel Freehub bodies.
    The only parts that are different in any important way between the 8- and 9- and 10-speed systems are the shift control levers.
    Source: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

I've always thought that they would work fine, would you need a specific 10-speed hub then Nick or would you be able to use your current one? What was the spacer you mentioned?
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • spongtastic
    spongtastic Posts: 2,651
    well I'm glad I haven't bothered buying 9 speed x9 stuff if 10 speeds coming in August.

No wonder Merlin are selling 9 speed stuff so cheap.
    Visit Clacton during the School holidays - it's like a never ending freak show.

Who are you calling inbred?
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Won't be going near that mech... it's not shadow! I'd end up tearing the CF apart. My new SLX is already scratched up, hate to think what would have happened to it had it not been the sleeker design.
    More pennies to the CRC monster I should think.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Can't wait to see the prices. I bet it costs more than XT.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    So for someone running standard X-0 and X-9 kit at the moment, what would be needed to go from 3x9 to 2x10?

Chain, cassette, and rear shifter? Or mechs and chainrings too?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • nicklouse
    bails87 wrote:
    So for someone running standard X-0 and X-9 kit at the moment, what would be needed to go from 3x9 to 2x10?

cassette,chain,shifters.mechs,crankset. (everything.)

you could keep the left trigger and mech and crankset though.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    nicklouse wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

cassette,chain,shifters.mechs,crankset. (everything.)

Ah right, I thought I'd seen some of the 10-speed conversions using the flat bar road shifters where it was the rear mech and shifter, chain and cassette that were different.

So you'll have to jump in at the deep end then, so to speak.

Edit:- You just changed your post :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    SRAM website says the mech cages are carbon (although I'd agree they look like stickers).

http://sram2x10.com/?p=745
  • supersonic
    I see they have gone back to Grilon (plastic) for some parts.
  • Blimey, X.7 rear hub weighs 425g, and has a 145mm axle! Quite heavy!
    2009 Giant Anthem X2
    2009 Giant Defy 2.5
  • SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    Progress is good but I wouldn't go out and buy an upgraded drive train to get 10x2.
    I currently run a 28-11 cassette and to be honest would be happy with 22-11 - even without a granny ring.
  • supersonic
    it is a marketing swipe. SLX was. X7 will be the new SLX.

All in a name.
  • spongtastic
    Looking again the carbon outer cage on the rear mech is an option, there's no 28.6mm clamp for the front mech and the chainset is heavy.

• spongtastic
    cassette is a heavy 302g as well.

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    302g is heavy? That's not much more than a 34T XT.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • P-Jay
    As for the weight, this is X7 stuff remember.

I'm sure SRAM will properly bum-break anyone who is kept up at night by fear of grams for X9 and XX stuff.
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    Apart from possibly people running only with 1 single or double up front, is a ten speed actually required for a normal 3 up front setup?
    Craig Rogers