Thumping Hinault picture

2»

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    pretty sure Kelly took the lead off Millar at Col D Eze MTT though. Kelly won 5 PNs?

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/ritfiche ... itid=33104
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    He won 7. Consecutively from 1982 to 1988.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    P.S. Good to see you back.
  • dave_1
    Never forget how awesome Kelly really. 1986 he won Tour of Valencia, Paris Nice, Milan San Remo, Paris Roubaix.. in the space of a month or 6 weeks. How much better does it get? I remember he got injured pre TDF 86...I reckon that would have been his strongest years at TDF..he was in his prime
  • dave_1
    andyp wrote:
    P.S. Good to see you back.

cheers, yes, good thread.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    Dave_1 wrote:
    Never forget how awesome Kelly really. 1986 he won Tour of Valencia, Paris Nice, Milan San Remo, Paris Roubaix.. in the space of a month or 6 weeks. How much better does it get? I remember he got injured pre TDF 86...I reckon that would have been his strongest years at TDF..he was in his prime

One of my favourite Kelly commentating performances came a few years ago when, IIRC Harmon was getting upset about what he saw as an inherent imbalance in the then-new ProTour.

The conversation was something along the lines:
    "Sean - they are giving the same points for winning a single-day race like Paris Roubaix as a week-long stage race like Paris Nice. When you were racing,would you have regarded that as unfair?"

"No - i wouldn't have bothered me" (there was probably a "certaintly" dropped in there somewhere)

"Why's that, Sean?"

"I'd have won them both anyway"
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    LangerDan wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:

One of my favourite Kelly commentating performances came a few years ago when, IIRC Harmon was getting upset about what he saw as an inherent imbalance in the then-new ProTour.

The conversation was something along the lines:
    "Sean - they are giving the same points for winning a single-day race like Paris Roubaix as a week-long stage race like Paris Nice. When you were racing,would you have regarded that as unfair?"

"No - i wouldn't have bothered me" (there was probably a "certaintly" dropped in there somewhere)

"Why's that, Sean?"

"I'd have won them both anyway"

Pure Genius!! He would've too!
  • alotronic
    alotronic Posts: 34
    We mustn't forget that a big part of racing is the ability and *need* to inflict suffering on your fellow competitors - and of course part of that is being able to do that to yourself. That's why Hinault stands out, he really hurt people (and himself). Bloody minded, aggressive and massively talented. Kelly rates on this scale, Merckx I think less so - he was just a genious full stop. Armstong? A little of it but you can't see him going on a break just to make people hurt. Contador has a bit more of this than Lance (why he is a much more appealing cyclist). And Cancellara - yes, he'll just ride people into the ground just because he can. And maybe, just maybe, this young Peter Sagan has a bit of this too.

I don't rate aggression very highly as a life skill, but it sure makes for better bike racing!

A