Paris - Nice Stage 6 **SPOILER**

Comments

• andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Apparently he's very kind to his old mum too. :D
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

But if you take away the time-trialling, climbing, sprinting, riding away from the bunch, cyclo-cross and mountain biking, he's somewhat limited.

A proper cyclist!

He's pretty astonishing - He'll be a monster in some of the classics if he carries on like this.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    andyp wrote:
    I've never seen anything quite like that. A neo-pro riding away from some of the best stage racers in the world to solo the last 1.5 kms to win.

Last time I can think of was Ricco at the Giro.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Smart Sagan, took 'em cold. Gaps all over. Valverde gains 4" on GC.
    Awful day for Team Radio Slack.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:
    I've never seen anything quite like that. A neo-pro riding away from some of the best stage racers in the world to solo the last 1.5 kms to win.

When? Not as a neo-pro.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72

Who remembers Boonen as a neo-pro?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Let's hope he proves a bit more 'durable' than the last neo-pro to light up the Paris-Nice, a certain M. L'Hotellerie....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • stjohnswell
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

When? Not as a neo-pro.

You're right. I was still wrestling naked with disbelief as I typed.

Happily, Sagan was my PTP pick.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes, a star was born on the roads to Roubaix. It was almost comic watching Hincapie push himself into oblivion just to keep up with Tommeke.

I do hope Sagan can keep this up, it is phenomenal. You almost think EBH has to win Milan - San Remo otherwise the Norweigan will just be another rider. Almost.
  • iainf72
    Matt Goss has the best middle name
  • Kléber wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    Yes, a star was born on the roads to Roubaix. It was almost comic watching Hincapie push himself into oblivion just to keep up with Tommeke.

Right up to the point he fell into a muddy ditch.

Proper Roubaix weather that year too!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    For the record, the Martin group lost 16.50. It also contained Hoogerland.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,869
    bit of racing going on there

Sagan is quite something
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • mididoctors
    Kléber wrote:
    It's not actually that windy.

Leipheimer dropped. Making mistakes like at in Paris-Nice, well... he's got a lot to learn :wink:

what is the point of Levi?
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • stjohnswell
    Kléber wrote:

Leipheimer dropped. Making mistakes like at in Paris-Nice, well... he's got a lot to learn :wink:

We need a P-N '10 Edition of these:

button.jpg
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    andyp wrote:

Didn't Roche win the Paris Nice as a neo-pro?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • mididoctors
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

indeed...

but they don't come along too oftem
  • Kléber
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

That's the thing, he was in the lead group with the green jersey on his back, safe in the knowledge that he can sprint well. But instead he attacks on a small rise and stays away, leaving the likes of Le Mevel (tough rider, TdF top 10) floundering in his wake. That's very classy.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Timoid. wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Slightly before my time too, I didn't know pro cycling existed in 1981. :oops:
  • iainf72
    Kléber wrote:
    That's the thing, he was in the lead group with the green jersey on his back, safe in the knowledge that he can sprint well. But instead he attacks on a small rise and stays away, leaving the likes of Le Mevel (tough rider, TdF top 10) floundering in his wake. That's very classy.

Sagan seems like he can read a race pretty well. I don't think he's all brute force and ignorance.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    How do you pronounce Sagan?

I get the feeling I'm going to like to know in the next few years. The French commentators are favouring "Sh"-agan. What are the English speaking commentators saying? (Kelly and Porter need not apply)

Awesome finish today. The finishing straight looked like it all happened in slow motion, total contrast with the sudden attack that started it all.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241

I get the feeling I'm going to like to know in the next few years. The French commentators are favouring "Sh"-agan. What are the English speaking commentators saying? (Kelly and Porter need not apply)

Awesome finish today. The finishing straight looked like it all happened in slow motion, total contrast with the sudden attack that started it all.

I've heard it said Zay-gan, Say-gan, Sar-gan and Zar-gan (my choice)
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Kléber

Here him say his own name at the beginning of this video:
    http://theinnerring.blogspot.com/2010/0 ... killz.html
    ...then get frustrated by his obvious talents and youth.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    He's not exactly Danny Macaskill....
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Kléber wrote:

There's about ten kids just like that loitering outside my local chip shop every evening.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Kléber wrote:

Zargan, rhymes with "this season I'm gonna pwn Boasson Hagen". If you say it quick enough.
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    Kléber wrote:

What does that mean ?
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • iainf72
    Looks like the Liquigas management are not pushing him too much

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sagan-i ... s-nice-win

If he doesn't win an Ardennes classic at some point, I'll be very surprised
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    "The stars are the limit for Sagan"...
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • iainf72
    DaveyL wrote:
    "The stars are the limit for Sagan"...

Like the cycling sage said, he will win billions and billions of races.