what helmet

NGale
NGale Posts: 1,866
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Ok first off this isn't a debate over wearing a helmet or not. I wear one simple as, end of that debate.

I am however looking to get a new helmet after mine was dropped. I have to admit I am tempted by those Yakkay helmets which look like something you would find on the polo field. Hardly areodynamic I know, but then I'm not an areo dynamic person :lol:

any other recommendations? I have about £90 to invest
Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men

Comments

• lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    What? Helmet?

:P

They've got a good selection of funky helmets here : http://www.beachcruiser.de/index.php/ca ... lmets.html
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Aren't you going to get very hot in those unless you stick to crawling speed?
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    NGale wrote:
    Ok first off this isn't a debate over wearing a helmet or not. I wear one simple as, end of that debate.

I am however looking to get a new helmet after mine was dropped. I have to admit I am tempted by those Yakkay helmets which look like something you would find on the polo field. Hardly areodynamic I know, but then I'm not an areo dynamic person :lol:

Giro Indicator. £31.49 at wiggle, saves you £60 for something more fun.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • NGale
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Aren't you going to get very hot in those unless you stick to crawling speed?

believe me I pootle :lol: I just want a general commuting helmet so it doesn't need to be racy
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    NGale wrote:

US_Vietnam_Helmet.jpg

or the more modern version which actual has a tiny bit more chance of stopping a round (bullet)

HELMET-BRIT-KEVLAR.jpg
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • NGale
    itboffin wrote:
    NGale wrote:

US_Vietnam_Helmet.jpg

or the more modern version which actual has a tiny bit more chance of stopping a round (bullet)

HELMET-BRIT-KEVLAR.jpg

:lol::lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Even cheaper at Evans, not that they have progresses that far south yet, tempted myself to buy in shop for the sizing thing, though the indicator is unisize.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gir ... query=giro
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • gb155
    gb155 Posts: 2,048
    Whats a helmet ?
    On a Mission to lose 20 stone..Get My Life Back

December 2007 - 39 Stone 05 Lbs

July 2011 - 13 Stone 12 Lbs - Cycled 17851 Miles

http://39stonecyclist.com
    Now the hard work starts.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

+1. I've got one of these, its comfortable, light and really good value.
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Definitely worthwhile trying a few on for fit, first.
    It's suprising how much difference having one that fits your head makes.

Oh, and even for pootlers, I reckon you'd overheat in one of those Yakkay things.
    For a general helmet, I'd've thought you'd want something well vented, that you can get layers on underneath when it's cold.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    Canny Jock wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I've also got one of these it stinks and is going in the bin. I like specialized helmets but i suspect these will also stink once I get my head in one. I'm loving my Met sine thesis, it's got gel instead of pads so doesn't stink but does have an RRP of £169 ouch. I didn't pay that but ribble haven't got stock any more.

Specialzed Propero's get good reviews, but whatever you do check you can get replacement pads easy enough first.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    I love my Giro Monza, bit pricier at around 60 squid but so well ventilated and light. have been wearing my skullcap underneath it for months now given how well ventilated it is.
  • If they're available at a branch near you:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_228868

Yes, that's reduced from £49 to £20. I got one a couple of weeks back and it's really very good. I suspect it'd be a good helmet at full price.
  • oscarbudgie
    oscarbudgie Posts: 850
    bavariageneralpickelhaube.jpg.w300h440.jpg

100% SMIDSY proof
    Cannondale Supersix / CAAD9 / Boardman 9.0 / Benotto 3000
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    I wear a Met Estro, very comfy and airy (though how well it will actually protect me from brain damage in a high speed collision with a car is debatable). I got it just before Christmas when it was £49.99. Hooray for competitive currency devaluation!

Believe it or not ITBoffin, I seriously considered getting a full Mil-spec helmet. But at £200+ (new) it just didn't seem worth the hassle. Might as well get a full motorbike helmet.
  • emdeef
    emdeef Posts: 98
    You can get replacement pads for Giro helemets

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Giro_ ... 360014640/

I've also successfully washed the pads in mine to reduce the stink factor
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    Aidy wrote:
    Definitely worthwhile trying a few on for fit, first.
    It's suprising how much difference having one that fits your head makes.

Oh, and even for pootlers, I reckon you'd overheat in one of those Yakkay things.
    For a general helmet, I'd've thought you'd want something well vented, that you can get layers on underneath when it's cold.

+1 I cant wear Specilized and some Giro ones, its like being in a torture device.

that said tho

I've used Bell Avanti's for years, they're well vented, comfy, roomy enough for a buff over the ears or a full balaclavea and adjustable for a good fit whatever you wear or not with em.

they also quite sleek on the head so you don't look like you're balancing a hollowed out watermelon on your ears

last one was £30 odd quid from Halfords
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I wear a limar 757 which comes with a detachable lid.
    By detaching the lid, it looks better on a road bike.

What I like best about it is the way you adjust the head band at the back: extremely easy to use one handed and very intuitive.

It is also one of the lightest for the money (£60)

Full review here:
    http://wokingham-cyclist.blogspot.com/2 ... elmet.html
  • hoolio
    hoolio Posts: 139
    emdeef wrote:
    You can get replacement pads for Giro helemets

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Giro_ ... 360014640/

I've also successfully washed the pads in mine to reduce the stink factor

I give the inside of the crash helmet a quick spray with Scholl shoe deodouriser when I get home in the evening. Seems to stop the smell, and the spray does not appear to have had any effect on the rest of the lid.
    I still wash the pads once in a while though.

I've got a MET something or other, about £70. Well vented, light and seems to have more coverage as the back than my previous £40 Giro, but not as comfy or easy to adjust (not that you really notice this once you're on the move).
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

+1

also worth a look is Bell Venture, £30 from Halfords at the moment. similar to the Giro Indicator but less "round" looking.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_262435_langId_-1_categoryId_228868
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    prawny wrote:
    Canny Jock wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

I've also got one of these it stinks and is going in the bin. I like specialized helmets but i suspect these will also stink once I get my head in one. I'm loving my Met sine thesis, it's got gel instead of pads so doesn't stink but does have an RRP of £169 ouch. I didn't pay that but ribble haven't got stock any more.

Specialzed Propero's get good reviews, but whatever you do check you can get replacement pads easy enough first.

Regularly washing your helmet should stop it stinking.............

personally I just take the pads out and put them through the washing machine with everything else
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I washed them and they fell apart so I got some more same again. I accept it happens and moan about it because I'm british.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    I've got a Spesh Tactic. It fits me nicely and doesnt look too bad....
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    will3 wrote:
    Regularly washing your helmet should stop it stinking.............

personally I just take the pads out and put them through the washing machine with everything else
    I read that as shrinking and was about to ask how a helmet shrinks :wink:
  • NGale
    What? Helmet?

:P

They've got a good selection of funky helmets here : http://www.beachcruiser.de/index.php/ca ... lmets.html

I have to say I like some of those, very funky :D

There is the advantage with one of those, dual use, myself and Jake have booked a skiing/snowboarding holiday for next year and those Bern ones have use for both cycling and snowboarding, so a bit of a money saver there :D

Otherwise will take a look at the Giro one. As for Evans, yep a pain they arn't this far south yet, we have a choice of a number of LBS (The Bike Shed and Sidwell Cycles being my choice) or Halfords :!:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    NGale wrote:
    we have a choice of a number of LBS (The Bike Shed and Sidwell Cycles being my choice) or Halfords :!:

Partridge Cycles too far out of town then?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • NGale
    redvee wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    we have a choice of a number of LBS (The Bike Shed and Sidwell Cycles being my choice) or Halfords :!:

Partridge Cycles too far out of town then?

Na only just up the road really, just not reachable easily by bike. I do go out there once in a while, but they arn't as good as they used to be. I guess I have been spoiled by the service I get from The Bike Shed and Sidwell Cycles. Jake even brings his bikes into The Bike Shed now.
  • What's a reasonable life span for a helmet? I've had mine eight years (it's a Girol, cost about £25), and luckily it's never seen any serious action.
    Do they deteriorate over time? I know plastic becomes more brittle with age and was wondering whether I should change it anyway.