Cyclist fatality today, Evening Standard, comments from read

MadammeMarie
MadammeMarie Posts: 621
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I always laugh at some of the comments of the Evening Standard readers when it comes to cycling. The same old crap always.

However, while reading the comments on this article about another one of Boris' plans for cyclists, I learned that a cyclists died this morning in London, crushed by a lorry, in the corner of Snowsfields and Weston Street (London Bridge area).

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standard/article-23813465-cyclists-could-be-allowed-to-pass-through-red-lights-in-bid-to-cut-road-deaths.do

And then, reading the comments, I came across that of Lorraine Beaver, Bedford, UK:

"I always have a quiet chuckel to myself when I hear another 2-wheeled menace has been squashed by a truck and if this loony law comes in I shall be giggling all the way to Bedfordshire!"

At least the stupid c**t put her name and surname. Anybody fancy a trip to Bedfordshire?

Comments

• Aaaaand..... they removed the comment after a little report from yours truly! :)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Isn't it enough she lives in Bedford?

good work on grassing her up. The Evening standard is just the daily mail in the evening
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Clever Pun wrote:

good work on grassing her up. The Evening standard is just the daily mail in the evening

My mother's family are from Bedford - they all left about 20 years before I was born. Is it really that bad?
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I have to say that I find it difficult to read so much hatred towards a population group...
    Honestly, I don't understand. And I'm not talking about that crackhead from Bedford (not that I'm implying anything about the place or its inhabitant) but gee, so many of them.
    Why do they hate us?! :cry:
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Porgy
    holybinch wrote:
    Why do they hate us?! :cry:

Because we are too magnificent for them. We frighten them.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Clever Pun wrote:

Indeed, Not fit to line a litter tray. The only way they can get people to read it is to give it away/force it into your hand at tube stations.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I was not joking, I'm French, lived in Ireland, and I've never seen so much animosity/anger/hatred directed towards cyclist.

I understand there has been a few hate campaigns from the worst rags ever produced.
    But there must be a drive for these rags to do such campaigns, either a political agenda, or just to please the donkeys that read them.

If the latter, then, again, we have to rewind to understand why the said donkeys hate us!
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Clever Pun
    Porgy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

My mother's family are from Bedford - they all left about 20 years before I was born. Is it really that bad?

I'm really not sure why someone would choose to live there in all honesty, I went there once it's pretty much a small standard provincial small minded town.. but lacking in any redeeming features.. oh they have a band called Sick on the Bus... that's pretty much it as far I I know

for me it draws comparison with luton and hull.. it's just smaller
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    holybinch wrote:
    I was not joking, I'm French, lived in Ireland, and I've never seen so much animosity/anger/hatred directed towards cyclist.

I understand there has been a few hate campaigns from the worst rags ever produced.
    But there must be a drive for these rags to do such campaigns, either a political agenda, or just to please the donkeys that read them.

If the latter, then, again, we have to rewind to understand why the said donkeys hate us!

I don't think it's quite as bad as these rags suggest. In the same way as BR brings us together, the DM and ES bring reactionary lunatics together - i.e. they are self-selecting and not representative of the population as a whole.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    holybinch wrote:

I blame the EU. There are all these laws now against hating people because of race, colour, religiion, etc. that the simple-minded bigots have to pick on cyclists instead. :wink:
  • londonbairn
    londonbairn Posts: 316
    Without speculating about specific incidents and what not, as they are all tragic and sad accidents, I do wonder if a lot of these left turns are executed where the cyclist keeps a safe distance/position?

If I see any car (lorry, car, small tiny electronic car etc) that is indicating, I will stay well behind it. If I have any doubt (ie no indicating but positioned like its going to turn) I wil stay behind. I see a lot of cyclists on my daily commute still hanging in the middle of a huge lorry, and witnessed many near misses because of this. If I am sure they are going forward (a big truck etc) I won't even bother filtering past it, I will stay back.

There is an obsession by many commuters to be at the front of the pack, which I think is dangerous in certain situations....
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    For exactly the same reason they have a go at those with ginger hair, or the French or used have a go at homosexuals, asians or single mothers, or think changing the type of lighbulbs will save the planet. Sheer lazyness. They don't think about it, they just go along with whatever they are told.. We'll wrap this group up and blame them for everything and we can all feel better about it. Everybody is picked on, some strike some semblance of a cord in people and it gets taken from there.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Thing about those people. Is that they feel invincible and different from us when wrapped in their cars. The minute they hit one of us, or the minute one of us hits them (not the car, them) they realise that we are all human and its a life they're talking about.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

I'm really not sure why someone would choose to live there in all honesty, I went there once it's pretty much a small standard provincial small minded town.. but lacking in any redeeming features.. oh they have a band called Sick on the Bus... that's pretty much it as far I I know

Snob! Hull's not that bad...
  • MatHammond wrote:

[panto]Oh, yes it is![/panto]
    Never be tempted to race against a Barclays Cycle Hire bike. If you do, there are only two outcomes. Of these, by far the better is that you now have the scalp of a Boris Bike.
  • Porgy
    I've never been to Hull - all I know's that the phone boxes were green and the place smells of fish.

Apart from the phone boxes, sounds like my home city, Plymouth.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Whoa, how much hatred in those comments, I am going to add a bullet/stab vest to my next round of kit buying.

I wonder what the statistics are for pedestrians killed by cars vs those killed by cyclists, i have a sneaking suspicion that they would be just slightly in favour of the car!!
  • Clever Pun
    MatHammond wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Clever Pun wrote:

it's discerning

Wasn't hull voted the worst town in the uk... it's not just me :wink:
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Paul E wrote:
    Whoa, how much hatred in those comments, I am going to add a bullet/stab vest to my next round of kit buying.

Don't worry... they can only attack with keyboards.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Ahh good old keyboard warriors...
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Paul E wrote:
    Oddjob62 wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Ahh good old keyboard warriors...

Knowing my luck some **** is gonna smack me round the head with a keyboard as they drive past tomorrow :evil:
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Porgy
    In which case you ought to think yourself lucky they didn;t chuck the whole piano at you.
  • Porgy wrote:
    In which case you ought to think yourself lucky they didn;t chuck the whole piano at you.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Re: Bedford: I've been there only once, a Sunday evening for a gig. OK, it was raining and it was freezing cold, that didn't help matters, but what shocked me was that after 6pm I could not find anywhere to grab a bite that was not a McDonalds. And by the time the gig finished, the place looked like an evacuated town! The only sound was the sound of the car I was in! Coming from London that's a bit unsettling! :lol:
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Thankfully all except 100 yards of my 7 mile commute is off the roads on cycle paths. I only have to deal with joggers, dogs and hills :shock:

The few times I have ended up on the roads in and around Exeter have usually involved me kicking vans, cars and buses who have tried to kill me.

It'll be fun cycling in Plymouth from September, I will have my steel toe cap boots on :twisted:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Porgy
    I've received the following email:

[greenwichcyclists] Police appeal for witnesses to cycle fatality‏
    Sent: 09 March 2010 18:00:07
    To: XXXX
    Cc: lewishamcyclists@yahoogroups.com; southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
    Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal road traffic collision in Southwark.

Police were called around 09:50 hrs on Tuesday 9 March to reports of a tipper lorry in collision with a pedal cyclist in Weston Street, Southwark, SE1.

LAS attended and the cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene. We believe we know the identity of the dead man who was 21 yrs. He has not yet been formally identified.

A post mortem examination will be held at Greenwich Public Mortuary, a date is awaited.

An Inquest will open in due course.

A man in his 30's was arrested at the scene. He has been bailed to return pending further investigation.

The incident is being investigated by the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage.

Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the unit on 020 8285 1574 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to remain anonymous.
  • Porgy wrote:
    I've received the following email:

[greenwichcyclists] Police appeal for witnesses to cycle fatality‏
    Sent: 09 March 2010 18:00:07
    To: XXXX
    Cc: lewishamcyclists@yahoogroups.com; southwarkcyclists@yahoogroups.com
    Police are appealing for witnesses following a fatal road traffic collision in Southwark.

Police were called around 09:50 hrs on Tuesday 9 March to reports of a tipper lorry in collision with a pedal cyclist in Weston Street, Southwark, SE1.

LAS attended and the cyclist was pronounced dead at the scene. We believe we know the identity of the dead man who was 21 yrs. He has not yet been formally identified.

A post mortem examination will be held at Greenwich Public Mortuary, a date is awaited.

An Inquest will open in due course.

A man in his 30's was arrested at the scene. He has been bailed to return pending further investigation.

The incident is being investigated by the Collision Investigation Unit at Catford Traffic Garage.

Anyone who witnessed the collision is asked to contact the unit on 020 8285 1574 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 to remain anonymous.

This is the fatality I was talking about, and apparently, what made Lorraine Beaver of Bedford "chuckle". Anonther lorry, another cyclist..... :(
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    It seems that Lorraine also has something against single mothers:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rl ... =&aq=f&oq=
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    Canny Jock wrote:
    It seems that Lorraine also has something against single mothers:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&rl ... =&aq=f&oq=

Ironically in that rant re single mothers she talks about ramming respect into people.

That'll be the repect she show in laughing at people killed in road accidents
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • You also see the phrase "selective breeding".

Whatever is next?
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Robstar24
    Robstar24 Posts: 173
    this Lorraine complains of the 'lack of morality'; I think laughing at cyclists killed by lorries probably falls under lack of morality...sadly if she was adopted in 1967 she can't be that old, which means she will be polluting us with her vile opinions for a while longer