Do motorist even know what the blue cycle lanes are.

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Porgy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    road tax not being a plausible argument for not having bicycles on the road

It may not be but I have found that challenging motorists on this is like arguing with climate change deniers - no amount of evidence will change their minds - in their minds you're some hateful stereotype and they will not see you as a fully rounded human with a valid and rational viewpoint.

I know what you mean. I showed this guy evidence page by page evidence over a 4 decades as to why Captain America could beat Wolverine. But kept saying Wolverine has claws.

Vibranium Shield A-hole!!!!
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    Polo Bluemotions don't pay car tax, does the road-tax-paying driver think they shouldn't be on the road either?
    Thankfully, I've yet to have to try that line out.

These segregated cycle lanes are why I don't support people like Sustrans. I agree with DDD that the money would be better spent on an awareness campaign, but the fundamental problem is in the offices of the road planners who continue to see cyclists as a sub-set of pedestrians, and not traffic.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    I know what you mean. I showed this guy evidence page by page evidence over a 4 decades as to why Captain America could beat Wolverine. But kept saying Wolverine has claws.

One shield. Six claws. Cap loses. I mean, come on. This is pretty basic stuff, right. Up there with who's more fun at a barbeque: the Human Torch or Iceman?

Segregated cycle lanes. Bleurgh. The biggest drawback of any that I've ridden (and it isn't many) is that they are covered in crap. Small stones, nails, pieces of glass, the lot. It's like PF Sex Camp. The best thing cars do for us is lift a lot of that crap off the road with their tyres.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Just had a look at the Hembrow link. Am now very depressed. Those 'visualisations' really are sub-GCSE Photoshop work aren't they. "Yeah, just put some silhouettes of people on there to give it some ambience. No' don't worry about the scale; it's just to give a fell of what it'll be like". We certainly wouldn't show anything that amateur to any of our clients.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Polo Bluemotions don't pay car tax, does the road-tax-paying driver think they shouldn't be on the road either?

I don;t know - I'll have to remember to ask that next time some neanderthal in a van is trying to run me off the road and shouting about road tax. :P
  • rjsterry
    I'm sure Porgy already knows this, but for those who don't.

There Is No Such Thing As Road Tax (check with Directgov or HMRC): it's Vehicle Tax, and as Eau Rouge points out, plenty of other vehicles don't pay it besides ourselves. If even we can't get that right, then it's not surprising that motorists get it wrong. Furthermore, revenue from Vehicle Tax goes direct to the treasury and is not even 'ring-fenced' for roads as far as I know. There's more, but as Porgy pointed out, it's a bit technical to shout through the window of a white van.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• DonDaddyD wrote:
    All I want is some public awareness adverts [...snip...] A bit like those Think adverts.
    That'd be the bank heist onereleased yesterday, then. Catchy phrase at the end. Memorable, like "Think Bike" (not).
  • Porgy
    rjsterry wrote:

There Is No Such Thing As Road Tax (check with Directgov or HMRC): it's Vehicle Tax, and as Eau Rouge points out, plenty of other vehicles don't pay it besides ourselves. If even we can't get that right, then it's not surprising that motorists get it wrong. Furthermore, revenue from Vehicle Tax goes direct to the treasury and is not even 'ring-fenced' for roads as far as I know. There's more, but as Porgy pointed out, it's a bit technical to shout through the window of a white van.

Maybe we can brandish a leaflet at them :lol:
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2010
    I can't wait to shout "Vehicle Excise Duty is not hypothicated and is treated as general taxation by Her Majestey's Customs and Revenue! You f'ing c88t!" :lol:
  • DonDaddyD
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

One shield. Six claws. Cap loses. I mean, come on. This is pretty basic stuff, right. Up there with who's more fun at a barbeque: the Human Torch or Iceman?

Dude, Cap and Wolverine had a fight in Wolverine Origins (a Wolverine comic). Cap held Wolverine's forearms and used his strength to crush the tendons in his arms so he couldn't unsheath the claws. Cap's the Man.

Also, Ice Man, he can make your beers uber cold.
    Segregated cycle lanes. Bleurgh. The biggest drawback of any that I've ridden (and it isn't many) is that they are covered in crap. Small stones, nails, pieces of glass, the lot. It's like PF Sex Camp. The best thing cars do for us is lift a lot of that crap off the road with their tyres.

That actually kinda makes sense. Cars helping to clear the deritus from teh side of the road.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • I also think that (despite the "the more you think about something, the more obvious it becomes" snappy one liner :roll:) the larger size of the things the bank thieves are focused on/noticing, while the cyclist stays small, will pass over lots of your average Joes' (and Jos') heads. :?
  • DonDaddyD
    That one went over my average joe head....
    Food Chain number = 4

• zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Porgy wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

Maybe we can brandish a leaflet at them :lol:

Wrapped in a brick/d-lock
  • goco
    goco Posts: 35
    daviesee wrote:

This hits one of my pet peeves on our attitiude to filtering vs overtaking though, we demand 3 feet of passing gap and then filter within inches of cars when it suits us - big mixed messages.

I know different speeds and circumstances but does that really impinge on a driver when we're weaving past his wing mirror at the lights and then waving a fist at him as he passes just as close 50 yards up the road.

I agree with the hypocrisy.
    If there is room to overtake, that's fine but then I extend that to there being room to filter.
    If there is not enough room I sit in the primary, no-one overtakes but I don't filter either.

Neither cyclists or drivers can have it both ways.

:roll:

Surely theres a key difference between filtering past a stationary car, and a car overtaking a moving cyclist - you don't require the same gap for both to do them safely.
  • DonDaddyD
    goco wrote:
    daviesee wrote:

This hits one of my pet peeves on our attitiude to filtering vs overtaking though, we demand 3 feet of passing gap and then filter within inches of cars when it suits us - big mixed messages.

I know different speeds and circumstances but does that really impinge on a driver when we're weaving past his wing mirror at the lights and then waving a fist at him as he passes just as close 50 yards up the road.

I agree with the hypocrisy.
    If there is room to overtake, that's fine but then I extend that to there being room to filter.
    If there is not enough room I sit in the primary, no-one overtakes but I don't filter either.

Neither cyclists or drivers can have it both ways.

:roll:

Surely theres a key difference between filtering past a stationary car, and a car overtaking a moving cyclist - you don't require the same gap for both to do them safely.
    This with a further +1.
    Food Chain number = 4

• kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Dude, Cap and Wolverine had a fight in Wolverine Origins (a Wolverine comic). Cap held Wolverine's forearms and used his strength to crush the tendons in his arms so he couldn't unsheath the claws. Cap's the Man.

Wouldn't Wolverine's remarkable healing powers mean that he was only disabled temporarily?
  • DonDaddyD
    kelsen wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Wouldn't Wolverine's remarkable healing powers mean that he was only disabled temporarily?

Depends on the damage.

In fact, just in case...

These days Wolverine would probably beat Captain America in a fight. But this would be done hugely to meet character popularity and not the actual characters. Back in the day, Captain America would win.
    Food Chain number = 4

• DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, but no one likes eating raw food at the BBQ. Tends to make people spew up a lot. And die.

And the tendons thing could only be a temporary disability. To give Cap enough time to run away and hide. Obvious, really.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    All I want is some public awareness adverts [...snip...] A bit like those Think adverts.
    That'd be the bank heist onereleased yesterday, then. Catchy phrase at the end. Memorable, like "Think Bike" (not).

I really like the whodunnit one.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Sewinman wrote:
    I can't wait to shout "Vehicle Excise Duty is not hypothicated and is treated as general taxation by Her Majestey's Customs and Revenue! You f'ing c88t!" :lol:

Snappy and to the point :D
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2010
    Greg66 wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Yeah, but no one likes eating raw food at the BBQ. Tends to make people spew up a lot. And die.

And the tendons thing could only be a temporary disability. To give Cap enough time to run away and hide. Obvious, really.

I can't find the page so I'll leave you with this:

611890-world_war_hulk___x_men_002_019_super.jpg

Hulk had already beat up BlackBolt (which should have been impossible). After he took down the X-men he beat up Iron Man, then the Fantastic Four, then the Avengers, then the Sentry and then nearly took four foot steps which would have destroyed the Earth. Lets just say he was really angry that day (He was sent off planet by Reed Richards and co, landed on an Alien World, conquered it, found love, got married and then his ship blew up destroying the planet killing his wife with his then unborn child - the child survived).

So yeah about as angry as I was when that girl stopped her bike in front of mine or when the motorist passed me too closely when I was within the saftey of the blue road, whichever this thread is...

What was this thread about?
    Food Chain number = 4

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    :shock:
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    cjcp wrote:
    :shock:

yeah I know... blue lanes.. whodathunkit
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • rjsterry
    I think even WVM should be able to understand "There's No Such Thing As Road Tax"

It could also be a question on QI: "what is the current rate of road tax?", but we are only on G at the moment, so a way to go yet before we get to R.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    rjsterry wrote:
    I think even WVM should be able to understand "There's No Such Thing As Road Tax"

It could also be a question on QI: "what is the current rate of road tax?", but we are only on G at the moment, so a way to go yet before we get to R.

Can we stop all these hackneyed arguments about Road tax/VED please.
  • Porgy
    Sewinman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

That presumes that everyone has read the 'hackneyed arguments'
  • DonDaddyD
    edited March 2010
    rjsterry wrote:

The reason why I mentioned road tax is that almost no one who doesn't ride a bike understands that the tax disc is not road tax. "Road Tax" as a term is so commonly accepted over and above VED that in someway's I think the name should replace it (but not the meaning).

If I went into the Post office and said "Can I pay my Vehicle Excise Duty" I'd expect a blank expression followed by "Do you mean road tax".

If you google Road Tax it comes up with taxing your car.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Porgy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

weak
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Porgy
    Clever Pun wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:

weak

:lol:
  • rjsterry
    Exactly, DDD. But to return to the original subject, does anyone know if/when the CSH route along the A24 will be completed (assuming of course that there is more to it than some blue rectangles)?

Will the current little patches be joined up into something more resembling a highway, super or otherwise (I can't see how without major road changes)?

Are the blue bits from a legal (or at least bylaw) point of view any different from the existing green paint?
    Pinnacle Monzonite