What Carb/High Energy drink?

2»

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    This. Never tried gels. Never will. Imagine if I liked it... :shock:

Ultimately, if I am going at it pace wise, I find bars hard to eat - just too dry in the mouth. Gels are quick and easy. Like everything else on here, the only way to know is to try as everyone always likes and recommends their own approach which inevitably covers all options.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    I make my own isotonic drinks.

Please share?

I posted this on the previous page before the talk of power by man juice....

Make it yourself - http://jibbering.com/sports/drinks.html

Get the ingredients from My Protein
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Most carb drinks are basically 99% maltodextrin, a complex sugar energy source but tarted up in fancy marketing. Making it yourself is waaaaaaaay cheaper and you can tailor it.

I make mine with a mix of matodextrin, choline, electrolyte salts and a bit of whey protein. You can also make your own recovery drinks. If you don't like the flavour add your own amount of fruit juice to your own taste...

I swear by this for long, fast club rides....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Headhuunter
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?

You don't need anything too fancy for DIY drinks (though you can make up versions of a retail product, recipes out there)- half and half orange juice and water and a pinch of salt is my usual. 28p a litre too! For retail products, I've got a couple of Torq singles (as yet unused), SiS Go was fine (a little punchy in flavour, but in a nice way!), Zipvit was like weak squash (love the bars though, gel was fine too), Bikefood's very nice (might actually buy some of that!) and I also like the Hi5 Zero tabs (hydration/minerals only).

Problem with something as simple as orange juice is that it may be a source of energy to an extent but the body can only absorb a certain level of "simple" carb/sugar per hour and if you are cycling at a particularly hard pace, you will burn more than your body can consume. This is why energy drinks use maltodextrin as a primary source of energy. It is a complex carb and your body is able to absorb far more of it than simple fructose in bananas or fruit juice or processed glucose in cakes and chocolate.

As above, most energy drinks are 99% maltodextrin for maximum energy absorption. I like to salts and choline and sometimes caffeine powder...

You chaps shouldtake a trip to the road section on bikeradar - there are endless discussions about energy drinks and maximum absorption rates etc over there...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    We have a section in MTB too on these drinks, discussing the different types ie hypertonic, hypotonic, isotonic and revovery. Some aren't relly 'energy' drinks though.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?

You don't need anything too fancy for DIY drinks (though you can make up versions of a retail product, recipes out there)- half and half orange juice and water and a pinch of salt is my usual. 28p a litre too! For retail products, I've got a couple of Torq singles (as yet unused), SiS Go was fine (a little punchy in flavour, but in a nice way!), Zipvit was like weak squash (love the bars though, gel was fine too), Bikefood's very nice (might actually buy some of that!) and I also like the Hi5 Zero tabs (hydration/minerals only).

Problem with something as simple as orange juice is that it may be a source of energy to an extent but the body can only absorb a certain level of "simple" carb/sugar per hour and if you are cycling at a particularly hard pace, you will burn more than your body can consume. This is why energy drinks use maltodextrin as a primary source of energy. It is a complex carb and your body is able to absorb far more of it than simple fructose in bananas or fruit juice or processed glucose in cakes and chocolate.

As above, most energy drinks are 99% maltodextrin for maximum energy absorption. I like to salts and choline and sometimes caffeine powder...

You chaps shouldtake a trip to the road section on bikeradar - there are endless discussions about energy drinks and maximum absorption rates etc over there...

True...But that's why it's wise to have a mix of simple & complex carbs, plus protein- in whatever form you have them. For example, on a weekend afternoon ride, I've often had some a meal consisting of cooked protein plus complex carbohydrate, and mineral supplements. Otherwise known as Sunday roast :)
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • Headhuunter
    StuAff wrote:
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?

True...But that's why it's wise to have a mix of simple & complex carbs, plus protein- in whatever form you have them. For example, on a weekend afternoon ride, I've often had some a meal consisting of cooked protein plus complex carbohydrate, and mineral supplements. Otherwise known as Sunday roast :)

However for pure efficiency of absorption and maximum punch it's best to go for maltodextrin. The complex carbs in a Sunday lunch are obviously fine, but it's mixed in with fat and meat protein which isn't as readily absorbed as whey protein isolate and will take blood from your muscles to your stomach for digestion. To be honest after a good Sunday lunch, all I want to do is lie down for a kip, the extra bulk and weight in the stomach doesn't make me feel ready for a hard, long club ride, whereas energy drinks are just pure energy....
  • supersonic
    I'd give it at least 2 hours after a sunday lunch!

I sometimes will pack a small pure energy drink along with my Isotonic formulation (or plain water) and take a swig if a feel a bit wobbly. Always try and take fig rolls, bananas and stuff on longer rides.
  • paggnr
    paggnr Posts: 101
    i use my own mix of maltodextrine, salts and protein
    Cheers
    Pagey
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    StuAff wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?

Isn't this entirely the wrong way around?

Complex carbs = harder to break down, therefore longer period of elevated blood sugar levels?

Simple carbs = easy to break down, therefore super blood sugar spike followed by crash?
  • stuaff
    Isn't this entirely the wrong way around?

Complex carbs = harder to break down, therefore longer period of elevated blood sugar levels?

Simple carbs = easy to break down, therefore super blood sugar spike followed by crash?

That's why you want a mix of simple & complex carbs- which should even things out a bit. The generally accepted idea that you load up on the complex ones- because your body can only store a couple of hours worth of glycogen, you then top up during the ride with simple ones.

I've not had any performance issues whatsoever, yes including after a Sunday lunch. I just burn up energy, so it's not a problem (and I do let it digest a bit first of course!) I think it's easy to over-analyse this kind of stuff and rule out perfectly good everyday and/or natural products in favour of (and I'm not rubbishing these) 'scientific' products. To wit, the recent piece in the comic which poured scorn on milk as a recovery aid before plugging Maximuscle's 'moloko plus' or whatever they call it.
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    When I had a 70 round trip commute over Exmoor I don't remember using carb drinks

I think I used water or squash and ate a lot of pasties

Last weekend I was doing this years first 200km audax. For liquids I had 4 scoops (approx 40g) of this

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/allsp ... =Dynamight

and a pinch of salt and a pinch of bicarb in a litre of water

On really long rides (200miles +) I use Nuun tablets and this (not at the same time though)

http://www.allsports-online.co.uk/allsp ... ino%20Load
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    OK thanks everyone, Headhunter thanks for the Malrodextrin heads up.

I'm going to make my own.

Water and Orange Juice 50/50.

Maltodextrin, Electrolyte powder and Glucose
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    make my own, sainsburys basics orange juice with a pinch of salt. does the job for me
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • stuaff
    NGale wrote:
    make my own, sainsburys basics orange juice with a pinch of salt. does the job for me

Exactly the same as I use! :)
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    StuAff wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Exactly the same as I use! :)

a darn site cheaper at 32p for a bottle of squash :D
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    supersonic wrote:
    ^^ that!

10% fruit juice fresh orange, 50/50 with water with a pinch of lo salt (has potassium in it). Makes a very good isotonic drink. If tastes too weak, add some sugar free cordial.

I do the same but use grape juice 50/50 with water, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of sugar - that way you get quick sugar boost from the sucrose, slow release from the fructose plus necessary salts. Its a recipe I've used for about 10 years on long distance treks as well as on the bike. Make sure its proper grape juice and not a grape juice base diluted with water.
  • supersonic
    Yeah, that's a good choice - apple juice too is supposed to be good for the same reasons.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I've just got some lemon powerbart energize for in my desk drawer. For days when I'm feeling crappy.

It's nice I mix it up weak I don't like really sweet drinks when I'm on the bike. I really like the zipvit stuff for the same reason but I needed some sharpish and I was near an evans.

In the mornings I just use squash and lo salt at the moment I'm loving lime cordial mmmm.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017