What Carb/High Energy drink?

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I've noticed that some of you have funny colour water in your water bottles? I assume these are carb or energy drinks

Any reccomendations primarily for long commutes/sportives?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    I use science in sport stuff, very good and tastes quite nice. Find its good for training as gives extra kick when needed

rego recovery also very tasty in chocolate and helps too

cliff bars good for long rides

science in sport bars like eating wood, avoid at all costs
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    edited March 2010
    I used to use the SIS stuff. Certainly not bad, but not a patch on High-5 (IMHO).

For training, I like the SIS Zero.

Edit: For sportives I'd sat High-5 blue box (hot days) or green box (not that hot). No point in using the Extreme unless looking for the edge in intense competition.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Funny coloured? you ain't kidding. Why would you choose neon blue as the colour for any form of food or drink?

From what I have read, the drink being palatable and not stomach-ache inducing is as important as how many calories/what electrolytes it has. Some people really struggle to digest the high carb ones, and some have an acquired taste shall we say. On this basis, I have tried out well diluted Robinson's Lemon Barley on my jaunts around Leith Hill. Entirelly unscientific, but it seems to work well for me and tastes good warm or cold. Try a few out on the commute before using on a sportive I would say.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    edited March 2010
    For me it's Hi-5 for energy drinks (diluted on training rides and full strength on Sportives), plus home made food or bananas. Only use the odd clif or mule bar on sportives, mixed with home made food again. Used to use rego for recovery but now just blend a banana in some milk.

The body will absorb real food far more efficiently than anything manufactured.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I find SIS much too sickly, but really like High 5. You really just need to try a load to see what you get on with.

Torq is easy to stomach, particularly in it's neutral guise, the flavoured ones are rather bitter!
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    edited March 2010
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I use the Zipfit stuff - 2 huge tubs for the price of one. Just as well it tastes OK! I don't mind the toothpaste consistency gels either; the runnier sort are too quick to consume!

Worth checking if your sportive has free energy drink; the Evans ones do. If so, just try what they have and see if it does you good! I tend to undereat/underdrink so I try to make sure that what I do take in is as useful as possible.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    I can only talk on my experience from marathon training, but the principle is the same.

During my first year's training I overdosed on Lucosade sport (still). It gave me headaches, so make sure you get the balance right. I also tried the carbo gels, and they are frankly disgusting.

For the London Marathon race you get water every mile, and Lucosade sport every 5. Think of balancing consumption like that.

Water on it's own is just as (if not more) valuable, and you can eat snacks if they're easy to chew/digest.

They warn you beforehand not to try anything new on the day, as you may have adverse effects on performance.

I also tried the powder form and mixed the strength to your tastes. They worked best for me, and were the most cost effective too (think I used Iso).

So, as with most things - give 'em a try and see what works best for you.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    High5 is the dogs'. I have tried the zipvit stuff, the SiS stuff, and one other, the name of which escapes me, and none are a patch on high5.

If I need a big quick fix, and there's no high5, ie I'm out and about and I've forgotten to bring any, the flat lucozade watered down in a 750ml bottle is a good plan.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    dried fruit/fig rolls are also very good
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    My limited and completely unscientific experience:

My first ever sportive yesterday was one of the Evans ones. I took two drink bottles with me. There were SIS drink stations in a couple of locations around the route, at these I filled one bottle with energy drink and one with water. Drunk alternately from them as I rode.
    I can't say that I noticed much difference from the stuff but it was pleasant enough ! I also tried the free gel they gave me at around the 10-miles-to-go mark (in case it made me feel ill). I felt perkier over the lat few miles but that may well have been because I was nearly at the end !

I also scoffed every banana I could get my hands on, plus a selection of cereal bars I had brought with me. I heartily recommend Tescos chocolate and mango muesli bars.

From previous long rides, I can also recommend the energy-giving power of chocolate for a quick boost - I'm sure it's just as good as those gels (and if you've kept it in your pocket for a few miles, its consistency will be similar) :)
    Misguided Idealist
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    Another vote for High Five, I'm currently on the Summer Fruit flavour 4:1 Energy source. There are some truly horrific tasting sports drinks out there, don't go and buy a big tub before confirming you like it first!
  • I've used the SIS powder that you add to water, I found it was a bit sickly. One of my running books advised 50% water 50% fruit juice and a small pinch of salt.

You can get a surprising amount of carbs in there and it's easier to drink.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I'm not a big fan of the carb drinks - I've tried a lot and don't really like any - although I must try the flavourless Torq stuff. My weapons of choice are Nunn Kola tablets (for electrolytes and caffeine) and Clif bars for energy. I can't get on with gels and reserve them for when I'm really really in trouble! I also make a point of scoffing quite a lot at feed stations and having a big brekkie prior to long rides.
  • holybinch
    holybinch Posts: 417
    I tend to make my own.
    1 bottle water + magnesium and minerals solution + lemon juice (for thirst)
    1 bottle with the same + orange juice and eventually a bit of brown sugar. (more for energy)
    FCN 4(?) (Commuter - Genesis Croix de Fer)
    FCN 3 (Roadie - Viner Perfecta)

-- Please sponsor me on my London to Paris ride --
    http://www.diabeteschallenge.org.uk/cha ... n_to_paris
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I have only ever tried SIS ones for energy during rides, mostly xc mtb rides but still, found at full concentration a bit sickly especially in a camelbak. I would use about half the power recommended which made it easier to drink and it was easier on my stomach too.

I have used both the SIS rego stuff for recovery and some random lucozade stuff too but found both to be as good as each other, I would always have some plain water though as I prefer to have it plain when I eat a banana or a cereal bar.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    http://www.superfit.co.uk/nutrisport-en ... 0lb-1.html
    awesome for the money with carbs, whey protein and electrolytes. nothing else comes close for value and the added quality protein will help recovery and muscle growth
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Make it yourself - http://jibbering.com/sports/drinks.html

Get the ingredients from My Protein
    http://www.myprotein.co.uk/

Most carb drinks are basically 99% maltodextrin, a complex sugar energy source but tarted up in fancy marketing. Making it yourself is waaaaaaaay cheaper and you can tailor it.

I make mine with a mix of matodextrin, choline, electrolyte salts and a bit of whey protein. You can also make your own recovery drinks. If you don't like the flavour add your own amount of fruit juice to your own taste...

I swear by this for long, fast club rides....
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Gone off using SiS GO and switched to Torq Pink Grapefruit. Also use SiS Smart Gels on rides over 30 miles with PowerBar RideShotz. Mmmmmm Lemon RideShotz.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    I tried gels once, I didn't like the way it was a bit like a huge glob of snot in your mouth!!
  • il_principe
    Paul E wrote:
    I tried gels once, I didn't like the way it was a bit like a huge glob of snot in your mouth!!

I've heard it described as being similar to another (male only) bodily fluid...

Kinda put me off.
  • DonDaddyD
    Paul E wrote:

Kinda put me off.

This. Never tried gels. Never will. Imagine if I liked it... :shock:
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Kinda put me off.

a man custard based energy gel could be invaluable in an emergency situation, its always at hand :P
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • DonDaddyD
    pastey_boy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Kinda put me off.

a man custard based energy gel could be invaluable in an emergency situation, its always at hand :P

I know! Lets list the many different emergency situations that would require this solution!

:lol:
    Food Chain number = 4

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I make my own isotonic drinks.
  • il_principe
    pastey_boy wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Paul E wrote:

Kinda put me off.

Obtaining mid sportive it could be a little tricky though...
  • DonDaddyD
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?
    Food Chain number = 4

• stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Please share?

You don't need anything too fancy for DIY drinks (though you can make up versions of a retail product, recipes out there)- half and half orange juice and water and a pinch of salt is my usual. 28p a litre too! For retail products, I've got a couple of Torq singles (as yet unused), SiS Go was fine (a little punchy in flavour, but in a nice way!), Zipvit was like weak squash (love the bars though, gel was fine too), Bikefood's very nice (might actually buy some of that!) and I also like the Hi5 Zero tabs (hydration/minerals only).
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    ^^ that!

10% fruit juice fresh orange, 50/50 with water with a pinch of lo salt (has potassium in it). Makes a very good isotonic drink. If tastes too weak, add some sugar free cordial.
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    Another vote for High5 (citrus xtreme)

The most important drink is the recovery one you have at the end of a long ride.
    Really notice it if you're riding the next day. I use SIS Rego.

Plus SIS Smart gels for when you don't think you can get home.

Can't get on with any of the energy bars, so now just take a selection of normal cereal bars.
    exercise.png