My first build PLEASE HELP!!!

2»

Comments

• Laurence25
    Laurence25 Posts: 334
    Hi everyone thanks alot for all the advise and comments i have looked and noted ALL of your links and i cant wait to get started on the build !

And @ "Xtreem" those pikes are an AMAZING price I will be looking into those :)

Thanks again :)
    Laurence
  • Laurence25
    Oh and b4 i forget i got a XT cranks set for £70 8) Am very pleased :D:D:D
    (even included the BB!)
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    brand new or used? if new, that's a silly price!
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Laurence25
    Used but like new in very very good condition :)
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Still say that Deore represents the best value - at £49.95 (inc. BB) you can save at least £40 on the SLX and more on XT, allowing you to spend it on forks and wheels, where you will actually notice the difference. The 'Deore' label will rub off quick enough if you're worried about the label.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited March 2010
    benpinnick wrote:
    Save the money on the cranks and get some Deore ones and put the money into your wheels. Before anyone starts nay-saying, they are XT ones from a few years back, and very good indeed for the money, albeit heavier rings than the high spec ones.

They are not the same as the old XTs, they just look like them. The new Deore cranks, unlike the XTs (and now SLX) don't have hollow forged arms and on paper are unlikely to be as stiff.

So Deore are not old XT cranks that have been specced with heavier rings they also have hollow forged arms and a better BB.

Still, I wouldn't disagree that Deore cranks offer the best value for money in their price bracket.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    They are definitely not XT from a few years back.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    supersonic wrote:
    hah yeah, it would be pretty daft to suggest that... similar shape, that's about it.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    ilovedirt wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    hah yeah, it would be pretty daft to suggest that... similar shape, that's about it.

What would be daft to suggest that shimano don't re-use molds, or that XT cranks are always hollow. Shimano produces a lot of 'non-series' components for OEM usage etc. They have in the last few years produced a crankset known as XT FC-M762 which bears an uncanny resemblance to the deore FC-M542 crankset. Admittedly a different forging process might produce a slightly heavier crank.... I think the deore cranks will weigh around about 100 g more than the 762s (which are just a few g heavier than standard XT cranks) in total, which would be accounted for in the steel middle and inner chainrings, and the _slightly_ heavier BB, meaning the cranks themselves are almost certainly the same or so close you'd be pushed to notice.

To test my theory, I have ordered a pair of the deore cranks, and will be stripping them down, weighing them and posting pictures in due time comparing the 762s to the 542s. We shall see.

Don't get me wrong, I love the current aftermarket XT cranks (I have a set), but I can't see the point in spending that much money when you're scrimping on wheels etc.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.