How do you carry a pump and spare tube when riding?

podgeorge
podgeorge Posts: 188
edited March 2010 in MTB general
So after getting pissed off with punctures for the last time, i went and bought my self a pump and another spare tube for my bike. But now i have a tube, pump, multi tool, tyre levers and puncture repair kit, but the thing is i'm not sure how to carry it while out riding. :?
I am not a fan of big bulky rucksacks, and think saddle bags look a bit gay! So where do you put your spare tube and pump etc???
Thanks in advance!

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    in a bag, not a big rucksack but a small mountaineering bag is good as it has those straps so it stays on or a camelbac is another option
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    No need to buy a big, bulky rucksack mate.

I have one of these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=12308 and it keeps all of the stuff I need with me fine and it also has enough room to put a 4 pack in from the local off licence on the way back from a good ride :)
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    A Camelback copy should be OK. I bought a Gelert one for £15 and they look even better if they are desert camouflaged in colour.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    In my hydrapack, along with tools, food, maps, lightweight showerproof jacket etc etc etc depending where I;m going riding...
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    I use a Camelbak to carry phone, multitool, 2 tubes and a pump (and a tenner just in case). I often have a bottle of water in there as well as I never seem to get round to cleaning the Camelbak bladder :oops:
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • Mine live in my Camelbak, I got a Camelbak Scudo and there is tonnes of room in it for everything you'll ever need on a ride. £50 from CRC.
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    This isn't how I carry mine but how about getting a mini pump that attaches to the bottle bolt things and get an under saddle bag for a tube or two to live in.

This is assuming you don't have a backpack :wink:
  • handon94
    handon94 Posts: 137
    maybe a bag is a good idear
    diamondback LS02
    giant talon 2 -http://s867.photobucket.com/albums/ab236/handon_2010/?action=view&current=Photo0069.jpg&newest=1

"Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 22,097
    peter413 wrote:
    This isn't how I carry mine but how about getting a mini pump that attaches to the bottle bolt things and get an under saddle bag for a tube or two to live in.

keep meaning to fit one to the mountain bike - bag works a treat on the road bike
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    matthew h wrote:
    peter413 wrote:

keep meaning to fit one to the mountain bike - bag works a treat on the road bike

My dad has his fitted to the bottle mounts on his Caldera

Although he is quite stupid sometimes :lol:
  • "look a bit gay",

twat!

A
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    i use this:
    3811302684_7a0dc2e7cd.jpg

from alpkit.com as it is big enough to put a jacket, tool kit, tubes food and water in (or fit bladder to) but not so big that everythng is flapping around. also it is 100% water proof, as in once closed properly it can go under water and best of all, was only 20 quid.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Well if you don`t like rucksacks and saddlebags are gay how about shoving the pump up your arse?
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    I got a mini pump from Halfords and fitted it to the bottle bolts on the downtube. I don't even notice it's there.

Backpack wise I've got a "High Sierra" which is a Camelbak copy. It was £16 or so from Costco. Works great, plenty room for stuff as well as the bladder.

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • stu8975
    stu8975 Posts: 1,334
    Pump attached to bottle cage holes (most pumps come with the attachment needed), and for the rest of the kit (seeing as you dont want to use a backpack type deal), how about a dayglow 80's style bumbag (fanny pack as they are called in the U.S.A :lol:

fannypack.jpg

Me, everything in the Camelback Chaos.
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    in summer I'll dump the camelback and stick bottle cages on. I've got one of the tiny little crank bros pumps ( http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Crank_Brothers_Power_Pump/5360013735/ ) and I just stick that, a spare tube, puncture kit tools etc in jersey and short pockets. if you find the right layout then you barely notice them. until you come off and land on your back. then it hurts!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • biff55
    biff55 Posts: 1,404
    i usually get my butler running along-side to carry stuff
    dont know where i'd be without jeeves.
    :D
  • 26779_352140456929_658841929_4173815_5991065_n.jpg

Pump gets velcroed to the seat tube and an inner tuber is pushed into a saddle bag.
    Job is a goodin.
    Gerrin! Love owt like that, me.

Malty goodness
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Alternatively, do what racers do; cable tie a tube to your seatpost, tire levers and CO2 inflator in your jersey pocket.
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    antfly wrote:
    Well if you don`t like rucksacks and saddlebags are gay how about shoving the pump up your ars*?

Brilliant :lol::lol:

I use a Marin waist pack that i bought years ago, carries 2 waterbottles and all the kit i need for short rides. I hate having things on my back when riding.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    edited March 2010
    I don't carry a pump at all...

I use a small Hydrapak that has a 2L bladder
    A new spare tube is kept in the main pouch as well as a few spare 16G CO² cartridges
    Also in there is a small 1st aid kit and a disposable plastic raincoat (in case I am caught in a monsoon). I can also fit my wallet, pone (in a waterproof bag), car keys and a few energy gels and bars in the Hydrapak

I carry a Topeak clip on saddle bag under the saddle, in that is an Innovations CO² inflator, two CO² cartridges, spare chain links and pins and a small puncture repair kit.
    A Crank Bros 19 function multi tool is kept in the top zipper compartment of the saddlebag
  • ive got a topeak medium saddle bag that carries two tubes, levers, multi tool, mech hanger etc and the pump i strap to the seat post or in the back of the jacket if on a local route, if its a longer ride, the saddle bag and pump etc go in the camalbak, works a treat either way, as you know being prepared with all the kit you'll rarely need it! :wink:
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    BKBLIN.jpg

2l water
    topeak alien
    leatherman-a-like
    socket screwdriver
    keys
    minipump
    shockpump
    maps
    food

the whole thing is low profile and pretty unnoticeable on a ride

slainte :D rob
  • gleders
    gleders Posts: 21
    how about just buy some kevlar coated tyres and just carry multi tool and other bits in pockets?
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Jersey and wedge it all in, pump in the middle pocket, and tubes and other stuff on the side pockets, sorted
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    podgeorge wrote:
    and think saddle bags look a bit gay!

:roll:

Your face is gay.
  • El Capitano
    El Capitano Posts: 6,401
    Another vote for the Camelback/Backpack. Plenty of alternatives from Tesco/Costco etc if the cost is an issue.

I've done the frame mounted option with pumps in the past and find you get so much crap in there (even with a cap over the head) that the lifespan of the pump is greatly reduced.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I have a bag similar to Sheepsteeth's.A bit smaller though, mine's 12L but carries everything I need without giving me so much space that I'm tempted to carry too much.

A small camelback or similar rucksack is ideal for the job I never (OK, rarely) leave home without one
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • clodhoppa74
    clodhoppa74 Posts: 331
    pump is next to/under the bottle cage, never knocked it, got a blackburn pump with the mount. puncture kit, multitool, inner tube, phone and usually car keys go in the saddle bag. i don't care if kids think it' looks a bit gay, to be honest, i don't look at it, it's behind me, and i know i have all the tools i need, without having stuff strapped to me.
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    In my wife's backpack =-)

I love being married
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?