to glove or not to glove

2»

Comments

• Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I usually wear gloves but I use the Ritchey WCS foam grips which are actually ok with no gloves, pretty cheap too
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    Always glove up, Sombrio Forensics for XC, had a few pairs and they're awesome.

Got a pair of old 661's with carbon look knuckle protection for DH, they're okish. they're gettong on now and have got very baggy. Feels not a problem, but if I do a full uplift day they cause friction pains.
  • Mc Smiley
    Mc Smiley Posts: 252
    Gloved pretty much all the time, some specialized ones with holes in equinox i think. Got some seal skinz for when it gets down low, or in the snow. It is freezing in the peaks in the winter, especially if it is windy and you happen to fall in a river or puddle
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    I fall or clip trees/rocks often enough to want to wear gloves all the time. I've stuck with Fox Unabomber for everything but the coldest/wettest weather and I have some DHB winter gloves for the times it's really bad.
  • stubs wrote:
    Always. 661 Raji in summer, Fox Incline in spring and autumn also warm winter days, Goldtop leather gloves in winter

Crikey, are Goldtop still going, I haven't heard of them for thirty years.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    stubs wrote:
    Always. 661 Raji in summer, Fox Incline in spring and autumn also warm winter days, Goldtop leather gloves in winter

Crikey, are Goldtop still going, I haven't heard of them for thirty years.

They are a pretty ancient pair of leather horse riding gloves which I picked up in a charity shop a few years back. They are incredibly comfortable, warm and showerproof. They are wearing on the palms and I dont think they are going to last much longer. Been looking everywhere for a replacement with no luck.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • Always. Usually Fox Inclines or Statics, occasionally use Spesh mitts if it's really hot and I'm not going too gnarly. Feels wrong riding without them. As for grips, Yeti hardcores - plenty of traction with just enough squish to make them really comfy...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Usually wear glove/mitts, I carelessly wore the latter yesterday morning and could barely feel my fingers after bombing down Lances Hill! :shock:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    Always wear gloves- 661 Rajis in Summer and I just gor some decent winter gloves- Alturas not sure what kind though.

If I come off I'd rather trash a twenty-odd pair of gloves than take the skin off my hands and be off work!
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    I once tried cycling without any shoes - don't.
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Always wear gloves. this winter its been Sealskinz mtb ones, super toasty dry.

Now its shorts and a T weather I shall be hunting for a new pair of lighter ones as the old ones were a bit rough earlier this week.

Grips are Ergon and Konas ??
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • CanalRider
    CanalRider Posts: 194
    I wear Gil sailing gloves that have the tips of index and thumb removed. Allows me to read on the train with out taking them off and they are robust enough to protect my knuckles on the walls of canal tunnels.

In winter I just wore a pair of woolly thinsulates, fortunately I never got caught in any downpours. Had some good soakings in summer though.
    --
    Saw a sign on a restaurant that said Breakfast, any time -- so I ordered French Toast in the Renaissance.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    light summer / full winter glove and skin is what I wear. I've found there's an occasion for all.
  • I always wear gloves has saved my skin loads of times, got mits for summer
  • Started riding 18 mths ago.Hands got completely numb in no time on my old clanker. Bought fingerless Knogs and never looked back. Have bought full fingered Knogs for colder weather. Not a case of if but which ones to wear. Have thermal Altura's for the early morning sun up rides. Better control gloved in my admittedly limited experience.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    if you do wear gloves, why specifically do you choose to do so?

I don't have leather hands so when things like this
    http://vimeo.com/10166851
    happen I'm glad to be wearing gloves. To be fair I'm used to motorbiking where gloves are pretty much essential, and by comparison mtb gloves are barely there at all but I've had gravel scrubbed out of my flesh in A&E before, and the less of it I have to have scrubbed out in future, the better!
    Uncompromising extremist
  • I always wear gloves, hot or cold.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • Riding without gloves gives me blisters and callouses so I've always worn bike gloves since I was a kid.
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    My 661 Rajis came out last weekend- felt good to be in my summer gloves 8)
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Even in the winter I only wear meshed/summer gloves, otherwise I get sweaty palms and I absolutely hate that. Went through 2 pairs of 661 Comp's this winter and just bought some Endura Rapido fingerless jobbies for the summer. I did do a 16 mile ride last saturday without gloves (it was well warm enough) and even towards the end of the ride when my hands were sweaty, from wiping my brow mainly, my hands didn't slip on the Peaty grips. :D
  • Northwind
    Punched a tree today. Don't think my gloves did a huge amount of difference in the punch, saved the skin probably but they did help in the resulting crash :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Northwind wrote:
    Punched a tree today. Don't think my gloves did a huge amount of difference in the punch, saved the skin probably but they did help in the resulting crash :lol:

You also fell on your @rse. Did the gloves help then :lol:
  • Northwind
    Dissapointingly, no. I might send them back.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Gave the Lidl motorcycling gloves I bought last weekend (with knuckle protectors) a test ride during our stay at Longleat, in the drizzle that started on Thursday afternoon. Kept my hands lovely and toasty for the hour while tackling every 10%+ hill on the campus, despite finding my hands were quite damp when I took them off (had no idea while riding).

On a sidenote, the one official off-road trail at Longleat Centreparcs is evil! From the Maple 901 villas, take the path that heads towards the Azalea cascade. Within 250 metres, there is a hidden sharp turn on the right, where the fun begins...
    ~15% gradient on loose pine needles, with sharp 300 degree bends every 5 metres or so ascending the hill! :shock: If my chin was anywhere but resting on the handlebar stem of my Pylon8, I was doing mini wheelies! :lol:
    (First hill that has defeated me since getting back into cycling in 2005, but some of the blame lies with lack of traction from the Land Cruisers on a ~3" bed of pine needles :cry: )
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo