to glove or not to glove

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited March 2010 in MTB general
does anyone ride without gloves? if so what grips are you using? if you do wear gloves, why specifically do you choose to do so?

thanks

Comments

• jay12
    jay12 Posts: 6,306
    on hot days i wear no gloves. colder days i wear cheapo gloves to keep my hands reasonably warm. but i will be getting some bike specific gloves soon
  • I wear gloves no matter what...

They provide more grip and stop me getting and blisters!

They also offer a bit of protection for when I fall off!
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    I can't ride without gloves, it just don't feel right, kinda naked :shock: . its got to be full finger gloves too.

There has been a couple of times that wearing gloves has saved me from getting a gash on my hand when i came off.

for some reason wearing gloves is as important as a helmet.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    I can't ride without gloves, it just don't feel right, kinda naked :shock: . its got to be full finger gloves too.

There has been a couple of times that wearing gloves has saved me from getting a gash on my hand when i came off.

*snigger*
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Always wear gloves. No matter what, stops the blisters/sweaty palm syndrome. Obviously increases grip.

Also, in case I have an off...... skinned my hands many a time!!!

I have some reeeeaaaaally light 661s that are great, you don't know they are on.

I also have some Kona backcountry gloves that I have had for years for more 'aggressive riding'........ cost about £14 and have been great, you don't have to spend £30+ for gloves, it's ridiculous
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    cold weather - always. summer - very rarely, especially if im riding street, jumps etc, just feels better and no sweaty hands. i havent tried my new-ish royal's in summery conditions yet, so ill see what they're like in summertime (if we ever have one that is) im currently using a set of ODI x trainer grips, which are the best ive ever owned, im tempted to buy some race face diabolus grips when the ODI's wear out, which will be pretty soon, tried them on a few demo bike's and they're pretty good for gloveless riding
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    bigbenj_08 wrote:
    scale20 wrote:

*snigger*

I was thinking along the same lines reading it after writing it, hoped I'd get away with it :lol::lol::lol:
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    lawman wrote:
    cold weather - always. summer - very rarely, especially if im riding street, jumps etc, just feels better and no sweaty hands. i havent tried my new-ish royal's in summery conditions yet, so ill see what they're like in summertime (if we ever have one that is) im currently using a set of ODI x trainer grips, which are the best ive ever owned, im tempted to buy some race face diabolus grips when the ODI's wear out, which will be pretty soon, tried them on a few demo bike's and they're pretty good for gloveless riding

I ran 2 sets of RF diabolus, Good and evil slip-ons, and Diabolus lock ons... the rubber on both felt wrong, especially the good and evils.....

And they are insanely priced, plenty of better out there for the money
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    I always wear gloves. I think it's carried over from the motorbike... not sure.

I feel better with them on. More grip, comfier, no blisters and the sweat goes on the glove rather than the grip.

Just prefer to wear them than not. Feels weird without them now.

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Never wore gloves (except very rarely in winter). Don't like the feel on the grips, just feels more natural without.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:

I ran 2 sets of RF diabolus, Good and evil slip-ons, and Diabolus lock ons... the rubber on both felt wrong, especially the good and evils.....

And they are insanely priced, plenty of better out there for the money

ill get them through work so im not bothered about price lol
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Always, just do, not sure why. Full finger to, lightweight summer ones, thick warm winter ones.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sparrowlegs78
    sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
    I wear gloves all year round, well where else can you wipe your snotty hooter in summer with a short sleeve shirt on! :lol:
    Caz xx
  • eltonioni
    eltonioni Posts: 82
    does anyone ride without gloves?
    Yes.
    if so what grips are you using?
    Pinky flesh.
    if you do wear gloves, why specifically do you choose to do so?
    It's really cold.

MTFU ?
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    always, and always full finger. I use 661 raji's- light summer glove with loads of vents, and i use them all year round- winter gloves for wimps pahaha
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    edited March 2010
    always gloves always full finger - just dont feel right riding without them (plus i dont like blisters and have reynauds syndrome) - grips are ODI or DMR lock-ons

was using some lightweight specialized things but just got some royal racing pros for a little more protection

slainte 8) rob
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    Gloves all the time,
    Grips are ODI, Kona and Felt Lock On Grips
    I have five pairs of gloves right from carbon knuckle protection to very light gloves for commuting. Of the 5 pairs, 4 are 661 brand
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    I always wear gloves when riding, at the moment I like my rock gardin fates and odi grips, but have been wearing liner gloves with them over winter, I wear them for protection both crash, riding impacts, having pulled a few thorns out of the knuckles I think it's worth it. and some wind protection as my hands get cold even in summer.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    I forgot to add what gloves I use.

They're cheap-ish Troy Lee GP's. Grips are Cannondale Grind lock ons. Both are great. The gloves are light and comfy and even when it's been sub zero after dark the past few weeks they've kept my hands warm enough to not even notice. Really pleased with the grips too.
    Why so serious?
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    edited March 2010
    I've got Endura Strike gloves for very cold days, otherwise I wear Thor Statics. Though my absolute favourites are Thor Phase, they fit so well and feel really nicely put together.

As for why, they keep my hands safer when I fall off, make wrestling chains and tyres easier/cleaner and stop blisters.

Although disappointingly, they've not helped with increasing gash :wink:

EDIT: supersonic: You're obviously a traditionalist, I bet you use lambskins...... :P
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    I'll wear gloves if it's really cold but I prefer not too. It's more for the feel & comfort, used to think gloves stopped me getting blisters but have actually found I'll get calluses whether I wear them or not. Found that the ones I get at the bottom of my fingers don't separate away if I don't wear gloves & do separate away after time (& then bloody hurt) if I do wear gloves.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Always. 661 Raji in summer, Fox Incline in spring and autumn also warm winter days, Goldtop leather gloves in winter.

I came off on an ice patch over Xmas and went down on my hands tearing the left glove palm. Hate to think how much flesh I would have lost without the gloves.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I always wear gloves even when mucking around on the street. If your intersted I wear Royal Air gloves and they have been fine all through this cold weather 8)
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    I wear gloves all the time because I still have the scars from when I chose not to! Just thin Troy Lee XCs for me..hardly notice you're wearing them, but enough protection to keep your skin on your hands when you come off. Also have a pair of Altura Wind-proofs which are great in the cold - but a bit thick for doing any big hitting riding where you need more precise control.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Yep, always.. from full finger (most of the time), to a set of really thin fingerless fox gloves. Got about 20 sets at home, so never really use one particular set (today, I have a pair of Dakine gloves, comfy!)

Got a selection, from Sombrio, Fox, Dakine, Mace, 661, Troy Lee, Royal and other random ones.

I just dont feel right without gloves, as others have said, they're as important as my lid to me!
    Using the amazing superstar lock on grips :D
  • bannedbiker
    bannedbiker Posts: 382
    Yup, always gloves. just like loads of people have said, my bike feels wierd if i aint got gloves on!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    Gloves in the winter and no gloves in the summer.

Call me a bit vain, but I don't want to go out riding in the summer and end up with white hands, lol!
  • MacAndCheese
    MacAndCheese Posts: 1,944
    Ho hum wrote:
    Gloves in the winter and no gloves in the summer.

Call me a bit vain, but I don't want to go out riding in the summer and end up with white hands, lol!

HaHa! I got white hand sydrome last year big time...1+1/2 hours of commute everyday through the Indian summer!
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    I always wear gloves, comfort (and habit) is the reason plus fighting the cold in winter

In summer I wear roadie style fingerless or light full fingered for trail riding and heavier protection ones for the odd occasion when I go DHing (I *always* fall off)

this last winter I splashed on a pair of Gore windstopper gloves and they've been magic right down to -10 and up to at least 10. Very flexible, good bar feel (not thick at all) I could imagine wearing them year round except for the 3 really warm days we get a year.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    gloves all the time for me too. When i see people this time of year without gloves i'm amazed, how can they have any feeling left in their hands? My blood must be thin... Wear them in the summer too because some crashes can lead to pretty bad skin loss in my experience!
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/