Communting in London - fast hybrid or road bike?

goco
goco Posts: 35
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Hi all, new here. I'm currently commuting 8 miles each way on an old Trek T30 hybrid (north london to C wharf), but like many others about to take the plunge through the C2W scheme and upgrade to something a bit better. I have my £1000 voucher in hand and have been looking at both hybrids (Spesh Sirrus Comp) and road bikes (spesh Secteur Elite).

Having never used drop bars before they are a little daunting, but everything i read says they are much better. Plus am thinking of doing some longer rides in the summer, about 90-100 miles, in which case the secteur is a better bet. But just worried that the secteur may not be suitable for london commuting (which will be 90% of the usage), and maybe the sirrus is a better option?

So, what are the forum thoughts on drop vs flat bars for busy city commuting?

Thanks for your help!

Comments

• MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    personal preference really. Road bike will probably be a little less comfy, but faster and more responsive to changes in direction. Hybrid will have a more upright position, probably more comfortable but probably heavier and more less responsive, i.e. more stable.

Best thing to do is go try some examples from your LBS
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited March 2010
    Road bike.

Many of us came from Hybrids and have moved up to a road bike.

Drop bars look scary, they potentially offer more comfortable as they provide more places to rest your hands and therefore more riding positions which equals potentially more comfort. Get a frame with a relaxed geometry and you could increase your comfort levels even further. - I would even argue that on the hoods (the riding position you'll most likely use) the Sectuer has the same or as near as possible riding position as the Sirrus.

The other benefit of having a roadbike is that it opens up the potential for riding beyond commuting needs such as sportives, weekend rides etc.

Riding a road bike has improved the enjoyment levels of my commute. There is no reason for a road bike not to be suitable for a commute in London.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    There's no such thing as a fast Hybrid. :lol:

TBH this argument always runs and runs. Having experience of both, my preference is for drops, but there are plenty who prefer flats. So yeah, get down the LBS and test ride, also widen your net to include more manufacturers.

Edit - if you want longer rides of 100 miles or so then a road bike is the way to go, and IMHO spending £1000 on a hybrid would be a waste of money...
  • DonDaddyD

TBH this argument always runs and runs. Having experience of both, my preference is for drops, but there are plenty who prefer flats. So yeah, get down the LBS and test ride, also widen your net to include more manufacturers.

Edit - if you want longer rides of 100 miles or so then a road bike is the way to go, and IMHO spending £1000 on a hybrid would be a waste of money...

This and only this.

Combined with what I said.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Road bike.

I would even argue that on the drops (the riding position you'll most likely use) the Sectuer has the same or as near as possible riding position as the Sirrus.

He means Hoods, not Drops.
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    goco wrote:
    Hi all, new here. I'm currently commuting 8 miles each way on an old Trek T30 hybrid (north london to C wharf), but like many others about to take the plunge through the C2W scheme and upgrade to something a bit better. I have my £1000 voucher in hand and have been looking at both hybrids (Spesh Sirrus Comp) and road bikes (spesh Secteur Elite).

Having never used drop bars before they are a little daunting, but everything i read says they are much better. Plus am thinking of doing some longer rides in the summer, about 90-100 miles, in which case the secteur is a better bet. But just worried that the secteur may not be suitable for london commuting (which will be 90% of the usage), and maybe the sirrus is a better option?

So, what are the forum thoughts on drop vs flat bars for busy city commuting?

Thanks for your help!

My commute bike (Cadenza) is flat bars, but if/when I replace it I'd be looking for drops. I've done long rides on all three of my bikes, they were all more than OK, but drops do give you the advantage of multiple hand positions. Set up properly, riding on the hoods (default position for town riding or relaxed cruising) is just as comfortable as drops, and bit more aero too. Fit suitable wheels and tyres- perhaps 25s instead and the Secteur will be more than up to the job. You could always go for something along the lines of a Condor Fratello/Ribble Audax etc instead- clearance for full guards and wider tyres. That's probably a better bet for commuting.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Road bike.

I would even argue that on the drops (the riding position you'll most likely use) the Sectuer has the same or as near as possible riding position as the Sirrus.

Yes. Editted.
    Food Chain number = 4

• il_principe
    Also what is 'Communting?' A portmanteau of some sort - commuting with ugly people?
  • il_principe
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Road bike.

Yes. Editted.

He means 'Edited.' 8)
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736

+1. I like flats, I like drops. But for long runs, a road bike's almost certainly your best bet. I have done 100+ on the Cadenza, but that was before I got the Viner....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Heh, the two prime reasons I can't keep up with some roadies is fitness and gearing on a commute. Aerodynamics for a stop start commute matter far less.

Basically go with what your body wants and where and how its comfortable.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Hi and welcome!

I currently have a young family and can't justify multiple bikes. I had to think about the bike for all seasons, and what type of punishment it can take.

I've got a "fast hybrid" (as in "faster-than-a-mountain-bike-style-hybrid" :roll:), and it's been great for what I want to use it for (a work horse on bumpy country roads, with loads of mud).

However, I'd recommend a road bike, as that's what you'll be using it for. I'll be going for something like a CX bike next time I get the green light from mission control :lol:

Don't be put off by the drops - it just means more hand positions.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • This is one I have to wade into.
    I started off as a MTB'er (I know, the shame!) but that was when I was a teenager and didn't realise how addictive speed could be.

Then after a long, long hiatus, I returned to cycling to work. Same conundrum. What to buy? Well I knew I wanted eventually to race, compete, take part in a few things, so I was weighing up my options.

Then I did London to Windsor and borrowed a hybrid. I've never been so sore in my life. All my work colleagues took the pi5s. I had to sit on a cushion for a week afterwards...

I bought myself a Genesis Flyer and never looked back. Single speed, low maintenance, drop bars. It's more comfy than a hybrid IMHO, as it offers more hand positions, it's a great 'trainer' bike for when I get my fancy race bike out, and it's much lighter and faster than a hybrid. Trust me, if you're late for work or uni, you will curse your hybrid with every breath if you choose to go that route.

Arguably flat bars offer a more upright position so you get to see a bit more of the traffic. Well, just ride on the hoods for that on a proper road bike. Fit some crosstop levers like I did, and it's WAY more comfortable. What's great about the drop bars too, is that when it's really blowing a gale out there, you can adopt a more streamlined position and hunker down out of the wind so it doesn't affect your speed as much. On a hybrid your natural body position is an airbrake, so you'd feel like someone is pulling back on you. And remember that because you're more upright, more weight is on your bum, so ironically that's why you're more likely to be saddle sore on a hybrid.

Ok so your commute isn't the same distance as London-Windsor, but 8 miles is still a fair whack.

Get the lightest, best specced SS or road bike you can for your money, and smile every time you blast past someone on a hybrid, knowing you made the right decision....!!!

Good luck. :P
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Its a matter of preference for the commute, depends on distance as well - road bike will be a bit faster, but less robust and drop bars for me feel less stable which isn't good around heavy traffic. You have better brakes on a hybrid / MTB as well generally speaking. For long rides though its a no-brainer, road bike all the way. So if you really want one bike to cover both bases I'd say go road bike. But why the Secteur? Possibly the ugliest bike on the road (hybrids included), there's a purple one I've passed a few times on my commute (on my MTB :twisted: ) and its just hideous (it might be a Roubaix, basically looks the same but carbon...).
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    A Road bike is perfect for commuting, if you get a hybrid you'll regret it in about 6 months. Been there done that.
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    Road Bike definitely

like many here - I also started on a hybrid & they definitely have a role , particularly for those returning to cycling after a while away.

In fact I've just bought a trek T30 for my wife.

Ultimately, they are a compromise & if you are already riding a hybrid regularly then you're probably ready to move up to a road bike.

I rarely use the drops on my bars when commuting, but it gives me an option when there's a headwind.

Ask at your bike shop, if you're going to buy from them they should all be happy to let you try out a few different bikes.

Mike
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    amnezia wrote:
    A Road bike is perfect for commuting, if you get a hybrid you'll regret it in about 6 months. Been there done that.

+1. Especially given your plans to do some mileage.

And welcome to the forum :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • John B
    John B Posts: 139
    There are parts of my commute where a road bike is great but a hybrid is better once you're five miles or so from central London. I favour customizing a hybrid with slick tyres, bar ends etc. I've used both types and miss the speed of a road bike though.
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    I should add that a large part of my anti road bike bias for commuting stems from the fact that I could never bring myself to:

- fit mudguards
    - fit a rack
    - have a "relaxed" geometry
    - have spacers under the stem
    - fit wider tyres
    - fit spd pedals
    - etc. etc.

to my road bikes - they have to be set up to look good and ride fast at all times, for me a commuting modified road bike is more of an affront than a hybrid. :)
  • goco
    goco Posts: 35
    Well, thanks all for the excellent replies - consensus seems to be go for the road bike. Was hoping it would be, just a little apprehensive about the switch from flat to drop bars. good to hear many others have done the same and not regretted it. To answer some of the questions:

- I have been down the LBS and tried out both types, but unsurprisingly the flat bar hybrid feels much more comfortable as I'm not used to the dropped bar. I know it will take a while to get used to the dropped bar, but that will only happen after i've bought it! Bit of a gamble (ie hope i do get used to it!) which is where the opinions and experiences of others are very useful.

- Why the Secteur? Well i'd rather go for the more relaxed geometry over the Allez given its use for commuting and long rides, and (please don't shoot me) i want to fit a rack and panniers, which rules out many others like CAAD9 and Synapse.

thats a good tip about cross top levers, will look into that. Braking was one of my other concerns - maybe i have weak hands but i can't seem to generate much braking power from the hoods (?). And i don't want to ride on the drops the whole time just to have hands near the brakes......

ANyway, thanks all for the replies.

And yes, communting - great new word, commuting with munters
  • DonDaddyD
    goco wrote:

- Why the Secteur? Well i'd rather go for the more relaxed geometry over the Allez given its use for commuting and long rides, and (please don't shoot me)

I swear to you that this is marketing, unless Specialized recently changed the geometry of the Allez. The Allez has a fairly long headtube giving an already quite upright (when on the hoods) riding position. It was comparable with my SCR which has a long headtube and offers a relaxed geometry. Bikeradar tested the Allez and said the same thing: Long headtube. So don't rule it out.
    thats a good tip about cross top levers, will look into that. Braking was one of my other concerns - maybe i have weak hands but i can't seem to generate much braking power from the hoods (?). And i don't want to ride on the drops the whole time just to have hands near the brakes......

First rule of braking is anticipation. I've been known to brake from the before teh zigzag line appears and not stop until well into the ASL.

Welcome, when you get the bike give us a review.
    Food Chain number = 4

• linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    Think about a cyclocross.

I bought one, have already done 200 miles on it and I LOVE it. It takes mudguards, pannier rack and gets me to work only 3 mins slower (over 11.5 miles) than my road bike.

It has drop handlebars, and some of the advantages of a hybrid too. It can hold its own with a fairly fast ride (23 or so mph on the flat) and the PF doesn't visit so often.

Seriously, think about it. It is the perfect commuter
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • FrankM
    FrankM Posts: 129
    I started on a road bike and went to an MTB with slicks. You sit slightly higher on an MTB (and without drop bars get a better view) and the brakes (disc on my bike) are infinitely better, particularly in the wet. You may go a bit slower than on a road bike but that's no bad thing on a commute in London given all the traffic.

My commute is 12.5 miles each way.
  • ichabod
    ichabod Posts: 78
    I ride a road bike with flat bars - the best of both worlds IMO.

In London it is a life saver to be able to brake hard and quickly. 90% of people I see riding drops in London are actually using the tops/hoods of the bars which in my mind is extremely dangerous. I ride fast and have lost count of the number of times that sudden braking has saved my skin. Its all very well to talk about anticipation but the most dangerous situations are ones that you cant anticipate!

To achieve a slightly more aero position for those windy days, you can use a downwards angled stem and remove all of the spacers from the steerer. If you are serious, you could even go for some of those triathlon aeor bar extender things.
  • DonDaddyD
    ichabod wrote:

So you ride a hybrid?
    In London it is a life saver to be able to brake hard and quickly. 90% of people I see riding drops in London are actually using the tops/hoods of the bars which in my mind is extremely dangerous.

How is it dangerous?
    I ride fast and have lost count of the number of times that sudden braking has saved my skin.

That's the thing, first rule of braking is anticipation and not how hard you can squeeze your brakes and skid to a stop.
    Its all very well to talk about anticipation but the most dangerous situations are ones that you cant anticipate!
    Perhaps you should anticipating not anticipating.
    To achieve a slightly more aero position for those windy days, you can use a downwards angled stem and remove all of the spacers from the steerer. If you are serious, you could even go for some of those triathlon aeor bar extender things.

I'm not seeing how that is safer than dropbars to be honest.
    Food Chain number = 4

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    ichabod wrote:

So you ride a hybrid?

Don't be so hasty. Bought over the counter hybrid geometry is usually different to road bike. If he is riding a road bike with flats he is - don't forget the drivetrain differences too. Please don't just lump anything that isn't a classic mtb or a classic roadbike as a hybrid.

</treebeard>
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • amnezia
    amnezia Posts: 590
    ichabod wrote:

In London it is a life saver to be able to brake hard and quickly. 90% of people I see riding drops in London are actually using the tops/hoods of the bars which in my mind is extremely dangerous.

You can brake fine with you hands on the hoods..why is it dangerous?
  • MatHammond wrote:
    I should add that a large part of my anti road bike bias for commuting stems from the fact that I could never bring myself to:

- fit mudguards
    - fit a rack
    - fit wider tyres
    - fit spd pedals
    - etc. etc.

My commuting road bike has:

- no mudguards
    - no rack
    - a "brutal" geometry
    - no spacers under the stem
    - 23mm tyres
    - spd pedals

I have a hybrid too - a very good one - which I rode when it snowed. I was so chuffed to get back on the roadie...
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • linsen
    linsen Posts: 1,959
    MatHammond wrote:

- fit mudguards
    - fit a rack
    - fit wider tyres
    - fit spd pedals
    - etc. etc.

to my road bikes - they have to be set up to look good and ride fast at all times, for me a commuting modified road bike is more of an affront than a hybrid. :)
    My Giant TCX ticks all those boxes and goes like the clappers
    Emerging from under a big black cloud. All help welcome
  • gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    I you want a road bike but fancy flat bars, try a flat bared road bike like this:

http://www.scottusa.com/us_en/product/8 ... ter_s50_fb

Its not a hybrid, that would be Scott's Sportster range not the Speedster

Other makes must do them to. It'll be lighter than a drop handle bar version to.