Should you filter on the left or right

Comments

• I carry one of these babies...
    _44095239_borning_machine1_629.gif

...beats pedalling
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    nono i ALWAYS filter up the right, even if there are crocodiles and frikin lasers to get me.....

:P

DDD,

THis is your most stupid poll yet...

why isn't there a "whichever is more dangerous" option. I want to vote for that :twisted:
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    It's a loaded poll to prove to the people who preach religiously that you should filter on a certain side that ultimately they are wrong.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    It's a loaded poll to prove to the people that ultimately they are wrong.
    Technically, this is known as a referrendum.
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    jedster wrote:

DDD,

THis is your most stupid poll yet...
    :

It's been said before and will be said again. :lol:
  • What if we voted right because it will almost always be the safest route anyway? :lol:
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    whyamihere wrote:
    You can't be in any hurry to get anywhere in rush hour commuting then.

Oh, wait, you are doing a PhD in Oxford aren't you? That explains it.
    Undergrad, Birmingham. So, you were right except for all information. ;)

It could just be that traffic in Birmingham flows relatively well compared to other cities, and where it doesn't there's bus lanes, but I've never felt the need to filter on the left. Anywhere I do need to filter, there's plenty of room to do so on the right.

I ride in birmingham a lot but find due to lack of cycle lanes and people who dont know how to treat a cyclist you just need to take the best approach and the safest at the time.

I will filter down the right as long as I can see enough space to do so and cars arent coming down ridiculously fast the other way. If i do filter down the left when i get to a stage when a car could turn suddenly ill join the line of traffic, not worth risking getting swiped

im lucky i only commute one journey in rush hour and can mainly cover that with country lanes
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    How do you filter on the right to turn left at the junction? :?
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    DonDaddyD wrote:

Personally I dont buy the notion that as a rule you should not filter on the left.....

Discuss.

Which rule?
    Kiblams wrote:
    How do you filter on the right to turn left at the junction? :?

With ease, It's all about managing space. I did it twice this morning and I'll do it again this evening, all at different junctions. The trick is not to be seen to be weaving between traffic.

If the traffic is stationary then you can just cut into the nearside at a suitable point. it can be easier when the traffic is stsrting to move off, from the off-side align yourself with a gap in traffic, indicte left and move to the nearside.

Bob
  • I would highlight that although many of the experienced commuters on here know about filtering on the right and why it is generally safer (except when it isn't but there are always exceptions) most newbies (and I'll admit myself until a couple of years ago) think that it is safer/required to filter on the left.

It was quite a revelation to me when I first started to filter on the right, as I had perceived it to be more dangerous (I know that isn't the case (again in general), but I'm talking about perception) Most newbies I've 'buddied' on the bike to help them gain confidence have also had this initial perception, a lot of which is fed by the positioning of cycle lanes etc.

(I would also say they also perceive that it is safer to filter to the front and don't consider sitting in traffic, again a revelation once they realise that it is often safer and not much slower - but that's a debate for another thread)
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Whichever is safer, but usually left. Slowly and judiciously. Only when there's a wide gap, and never past buses/HGV's.

The thing I don't like about filtering on the right, is when the traffic starts moving again, I'm stranded between traffic moving in opposing directions. And +1 to the point of if you get taken out when filtering on the right, you're in the path of oncoming traffic as opposed to the pavement on the left.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    iain_j wrote:
    The thing I don't like about filtering on the right, is when the traffic starts moving again, I'm stranded between traffic moving in opposing directions. And +1 to the point of if you get taken out when filtering on the right, you're in the path of oncoming traffic as opposed to the pavement on the left.

That's down to anticipation; if I'm on the right and the traffic starts moving I hold back near a car and as it goes past (checking over my left shoulder) I move back to the left. If I'm keeping pace with the traffic, then I'm in the middle ready to pull back out on the right.

I've had too many close calls on the left where cars have pulled over closing the gap.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I would highlight that although many of the experienced commuters on here know about filtering on the right and why it is generally safer (except when it isn't but there are always exceptions) most newbies (and I'll admit myself until a couple of years ago) think that it is safer/required to filter on the left.

It was quite a revelation to me when I first started to filter on the right, as I had perceived it to be more dangerous (I know that isn't the case (again in general), but I'm talking about perception) Most newbies I've 'buddied' on the bike to help them gain confidence have also had this initial perception, a lot of which is fed by the positioning of cycle lanes etc.

(I would also say they also perceive that it is safer to filter to the front and don't consider sitting in traffic, again a revelation once they realise that it is often safer and not much slower - but that's a debate for another thread)

I'm pretty sure this is down to the fact that cycle lanes are always on the left, as are the approach 'tails' for ASL boxes. The impression is given that it is the 'correct' thing to do by the road markings.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • beverick
    rjsterry wrote:
    I

I'm pretty sure this is down to the fact that cycle lanes are always on the left, as are the approach 'tails' for ASL boxes.

I agree although it's worth noting that cycle lanes and reservoir entry lanes are not always on the near side and this can be a problem in itself.

Bob
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    beverick wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    I

I'm pretty sure this is down to the fact that cycle lanes are always on the left, as are the approach 'tails' for ASL boxes.

I agree although it's worth noting that cycle lanes and reservoir entry lanes are not always on the near side and this can be a problem in itself.

Bob

My commute features a cycle lane that is between two lanes of traffic. Makes things interesting when cars decide they're in the wrong lane.
  • I would also say they also perceive that it is safer to filter to the front and don't consider sitting in traffic, again a revelation once they realise that it is often safer and not much slower - but that's a debate for another thread

+1 OSK. It also helps to know your junctions and light phasings but as you say, that's a whole 'nother thread.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • beverick
    will3 wrote:
    beverick wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    I

Bob

My commute features a cycle lane that is between two lanes of traffic. Makes things interesting when cars decide they're in the wrong lane.

It's even more fun when they decide that you're in the wrong lane.

Bob
  • lxwb
    lxwb Posts: 6
    Im not from here - but what is 'filtering'? is it riding beside cars where they are slower than you [traffic] so you are actually overtaking them? thx
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    @lxwb: Yep, you've got it. A pretty regular occurrence in congested urban areas.

I don't really think there is such a thing as 'safe' filtering, as vehicles or pedestrians can make unexpected manoeuvres (sp?) whether on your left or right, or even in front of you, and whether moving faster than you or slower than you (i.e. filtering).

Hence motorists are at least taught to leave suitable stopping distances between them and the vehicle in front, leave enough room when passing other vehicles and so on. When filtering you need to apply the same principles - adjust your speed according to the possibility of an unexpected manoeuvre and your distance from that vehicle or pedestrian. Belting down the inside or outside of a stationary queue of traffic is always going to lead to problems because you will by definition always be riding closer than your braking distance to the stationary vehicles)

I would agree with OSK that right hand filtering is likely to be slightly safer, as motorists are used to checking their right hand mirror for other vehicles before pulling out, but not all motorists (or cyclists or pedestrians for that matter) check before they pull out/step out.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Have we not started to talk about whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever made yet?
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Have we not started to talk about whether pickled onion monster munch is the best crisp ever made yet?

Pickled onion or flaming hot? Or even the rank outsider, beef?

Whatever flavour, it's clear that Monster Munch are superior. Or squares. Hmmmm.

I love crisps, I do.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    worcester sauce french fries. mmmm
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:

Oooooooooooooh good shout!
  • Porgy

I used to think so but they changed the recipe about a decade ago - or so. Since then I prefer tomato sauce flavour walkers crisps or McCoy's Thai chicken.
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Porgy wrote:

I used to think so but they changed the recipe about a decade ago - or so. Since then I prefer tomato sauce flavour walkers crisps or McCoy's Thai chicken.

Where have you been living - they brought them back with original recipe just a few months ago! In a huge bag too!
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    JonGinge wrote:

At work we are having a Worcester Sauce French Fies fest - Asda do two 6 packs for £2! :D
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    JonGinge wrote:

At work we are having a Worcester Sauce French Fies fest - Asda do two 6 packs for £2! :D

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Why do you tell me these things? I'm trying to dry out my convertible Saab's very wet interior and some air circulation seems a good idea, so I was going to go for a drive. Now I'm blatantly going to end up bringing back lods of crisps.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    It's worse for me when they do BOGOF on Pringles.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    [

Why do you tell me these things? I'm trying to dry out my convertible Saab's very wet interior and some air circulation seems a good idea, so I was going to go for a drive. Now I'm blatantly going to end up bringing back lods of crisps.

epic-fail-winter-driving-fail.jpg
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:

Where have you been living - they brought them back with original recipe just a few months ago! In a huge bag too!

Waaaaaahhh!!

Why did nobody tell meeeee!! :evil: :evil: