How long have you been cycle commuting for?

2»

Comments

• lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Pre-2000: To and from my part-time job after school, occasional trips otherwise.
    2000/03: Probably half the trips to and from Uni, but only 'cos it was walkable too. Did cycle out to the part-time job though.
    2003/06: Nowhere near enough...my barren years!
    2006/07: Living in Archway. Starting to get back into it. Maybe a third of commutes by bike.
    2007/08: Living in Turnpike Lane. Maybe half and half with cycle and Tube.
    2008/09: Living in Docklands, probably the majority of journeys with the rest DLR / Tube...only just though the majority, mind!
    2009/10: Now in Shepherds Bush. Into it now, only 2 out of 38 possible days missed so far!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • 19 years since I started work have cycled pretty much ever since. Occasionally taking the car if I had to go to night college after work!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Just over 10 months now, I was actually just wondering when the anniversary was coming up.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Will be 6 years in june I think. Maybe 7
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • flybywire
    flybywire Posts: 575
    since 1988 :wink: .. Berkshire,Surrey & Hants - 10 different jobs

commuting by car for less than 30miles a day doesn't make sense
  • Recently, on and off since 2004, with a big gap folloowing my back injury in summer 2008.

Long term, since my paper round days back in '86 ;)
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    5 Months, 2700 miles & counting...
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    1996 I think....whenever I finally got my old road bike serviced.
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • theblender
    theblender Posts: 201
    Since 1990
    1990-1996, 1/2 mile within same town, Raleigh M-Trax/ Stumpy M2
    1996-1997, Trowbridge to Devizes return, 5 days a week, Santa Cruz Heckler
    1997-1998, Trowbridge to Kingswood, Bristol, return, 5 days a week, Heckler
    1999-2000, Reading to Woodley return, 5 days a week, Heckler
    2000-2001, Haringay to Marylebone, 5 days a week, Heckler and Gypsy Hill to Covent Garden or Wimbledon, 5 days a week on the Heckler
    2001-2002, Trowbridge to Downend return, 5 days a week, Heckler and Rocky Mountain RM7
    2002-2004, Bishopston, Bristol to Downend, Bristol 5 Days, Kona Smoke
    2004-2009, Emersons Green, Bristol to Downend, Bristol, 5 days, Charge Blender custom
    2009-2010, Emersons Green to Downend, Marin Attack Trail 6.9

Never learned how to drive, hate public transport, love my bike.
  • Since I was 11 and went to skool on my Raleigh All-Steel Bicycle - one with rod brakes and weighing about 30 tons.
    Now I'm 54 and still commuting - but not on the same machine! It's the only way to stay fit enough to race (TTs), because I find doing training rides per se soooo hard to get enthusiastic about. In the holidays I have great difficulty in motivating myself to go out, but having to ride as part of the routine makes it so much easier.
  • Yeah, posted twice 'cos I was told there was an error or something...
  • dvdfoz
    dvdfoz Posts: 62
    Started last March, so just completed first full year, less 7 days, missed for various reasons
    Celebrating with first post here after lurking awhile...
    Dalston --> Canary Wharf, and all pubs inbetween
  • John B
    John B Posts: 139
    11 years. Used 7 different bikes in that time, 4 of them were new. Still can't work out which is best though.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    dvdfoz wrote:
    Started last March, so just completed first full year, less 7 days, missed for various reasons

Welcome...love the avatar!

Cheers,
    W.
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    20 years. I've done a quick and dirty calculation based on my 15 mile round trip, five days a week for, say, 48 weeks a year. It comes to 72000 miles (and that doesn't include Sundays!!!) :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    A year and a half ago, just before I moved to the new flat. It was too close to be running the the car in and out every day (the car is a teenager now) so I decided to cycle instead.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    About 3/4 years, though only since June has the distance been worth considering it 'a commute'
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    4 and a half years, more or less. For most of the 5 years before that, I worked from home. Before that I lived too far from work to cycle. Before that I lived close enough to walk.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Massimo wrote:
    20 years. I've done a quick and dirty calculation based on my 15 mile round trip, five days a week for, say, 48 weeks a year. It comes to 72000 miles (and that doesn't include Sundays!!!) :wink:

Have you been working at the same place for 20 years?
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Massimo wrote:
    You should have done 3 times round the world by the end of the month*... :D

* it's pretty close to that anyway
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • About six or seven years in my current incarnation - after a gap of about 15 years - but before that I used to ride everywhere, from the age of about seven or eight. All told then, 25 years in the saddle? Something like that.
    "If I had all the money I've spent on drink, I'd spend it on drink."
  • Massimo
    Massimo Posts: 318
    "Have you been working at the same place for 20 years?"

Yes davis, I have (22 years in fact) :wink:
    Crash 'n Burn, Peel 'n Chew
    FCN: 2
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Religiously for the last three years. Before that there was a twelve month break. Prior to that about five years on and off.
  • LazyBoycp
    LazyBoycp Posts: 320
    dvdfoz wrote:

Welcome...love the avatar!

Cheers,
    W.

+1 (both to the welcome, and the compliment on your avatar!)

Coming up for 5 years, or maybe 6. Have had spells where I didn't cycle for ages though, due to not being well, crappy weather or laziness. Have got back into the swing of things since last summer though (have lost 1.5 stone since then - woo) and plan to average at least 3 days a week this year.
  • Since 1996 but with periods where, due to being a bit rubbish, used the car or train. Sometimes I need the car for work as well, or like tomorrow I have a meeting 70miles away so I'll use the train. Almost everyday on the bike for the last year though, it's got to the point that I can't stand driving - chucking down with rain, take the bike leave the car at home.
    Cheers

Tim
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    Since I was 11 and went to skool on my Raleigh All-Steel Bicycle - one with rod brakes and weighing about 30 tons.
    Now I'm 54 and still commuting - but not on the same machine! It's the only way to stay fit enough to race (TTs), because I find doing training rides per se soooo hard to get enthusiastic about. In the holidays I have great difficulty in motivating myself to go out, but having to ride as part of the routine makes it so much easier.

Bu&&er, I thought I had that one won!

I didn't add school commuting, but even at 38 years I'm still five years short of you Nigel!

Bob
  • On and off since schooldays in the late 70s, followed by uni, first job, more uni. About 1995 and to my lasting regret and even disbelief, I chucked away my steel framed SS Coventry Eagle that had done about 90% of all that riding.
    In 2006 I became a regular again, commuting on a hideous but un-nickable Argos-type job because of my parlous security situation at home.
    Have added a Vulcan MTB recently for fun but it needs a bit of work before it becomes a regular on my pothole-riddled commute.
    Looking forward to another 10 years at least, by which time the world of bike commuting will be very different I reckon but no less enjoyable. Love it.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Massimo wrote:
    Yes davis, I have (22 years in fact) :wink:

Chapeau. I thought my current 10 year run wasn't bad.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.