How long have you been cycle commuting for?

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
Someone, I can't remember who, posted on another thread, I can't remember which one, that they had been cycle commuting for 27 years.

So how long have you been cycle commuting for?

Sorry if it's been done before.

I've been back on the bike, on and off, since October 2008. A mere 1 1/2 years for me.
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• ince
    ince Posts: 289
    I've now been on the bike for two years. I did start before that bit only on odd days so not going to count that.
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Eleven years, but with some time off when working overseas. That is a lot of money saved on train tickets, but plenty spent at Wiggle 8)
  • Sailorchick
    Sailorchick Posts: 202
    One year at the end of this month. Can't wait for my C2W to end so I can get another bike, something a bit nicer and faster than my Carrera Subway.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    About two years, and loving every minute of it.

Although I'm certainly enjoying a bit of daylight in the mornings - it's been a tough winter.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    Just over 20 months "properly". Still don't quite manage it every day (there's 20 litres of degreaser and 24 cans of GT85 waiting at work for me to bring the car in).
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    31 years with the exception of a seven year gap between '92 and '99 where it was impractical for a number of reasons.

Bob
  • MattFT
    MattFT Posts: 178
    5 years on London's unforgiving streets.
    FCN: 4

My Condor R.I.P.

Enigma Echo - everything outside the city
    Genesis Day One Disc - commuter
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    Three and a half years for me, so I managed to start regular cycle commuting just as we stopped having proper summers..... :roll:
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    Hmmm, tricky... it's about five years since I started cycling to the station from my current house a day or two a a week. A bit less since I stopped taxing & repairing the second car as an alternative. Immediately prior to that my circumstances hadn't let me consider it an option (working too far from home/PT, complicated domestic logistics etc).
    When we lived in Edinburgh (before & after our big backpacking trip) I used to cycle everywhere- I didn't think of it as commuting, it was just the way I got around and always had been, unless I needed to carry something heavy, or travel outside town.
    So- either a few years or pretty much all my adult life, depending on how you define "commuting".

Cheers,
    W.
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    About ten years.

Works out at about £7000 saved on bus fares :shock:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Six months in 2002
    Three months in 2006
    April 2007-present day.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    june 2001-aug 2003
    Hip-fuckaroo
    feb 08 - present
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    18 months, 12 of those fixed.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    2001-2003, Oxford; 2005-2009, London.

Currently not due to not having to be in an office in a country where I have a bike. If I keep having to be in Luxembourg that will change... I'll bring one here. And become awesome at climbing.
  • Nearly three years.

I started three summers ago, the really really wet one. I figure if I got through that I won't stop.

I have bought two bikes, lights (too good for what I need), every piece of kit that I could possibly need and I reckon I must still be even compared to the train.
    FCN 8

2009 Boardman Hybrid Pro
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    edited March 2010
    12 months. About to move to fixed.

Even in that short time I had a two month hiatus when my little girl was born.

Edit: I've been riding to the train station for about 4 years, the time I put above is how long I've been doing the full 15-25 miles commutes from home to the office.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    2 years before Uni

3 years after. Nearly 2 of those on a road bike.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Since April 22nd last year. Earth day. Was a beautiful morning and I suddenly remembered why I loved cycling places when I was a kid, even though I was on a god-awful BSO at the time.

I've covered 2500 miles in the past 10 months, and most weeks cycle three days. Roll on the summer, but I've even been enjoying it over the winter. :D
  • ex-pat scot
    ex-pat scot Posts: 939
    All the time between 91 and 95
    To the station between 2001 and 2004
    Sporadically from 2007
    Every day (pretty much) for 12 months - 40 miles a day.
    Fixed since June 09
    Commute: Langster -Singlecross - Brompton S2-LX

Road: 95 Trek 5500 -Look 695 Aerolight eTap - Boardman TTe eTap

Offroad: Pace RC200 - Dawes Kickback 2 tandem - Tricross - Boardman CXR9.8 - Ridley x-fire
  • Mikelyons
    Mikelyons Posts: 154
    edited March 2010
    I've commuted by bike since March 2006

March 06 - Jul 08 - 8 miles a day (Home > Rail station & Rail station > office) - Brompton
    Saved £60/month on tube fares
    Then moved office & sold the Brompton

Aug08 to date 26 miles a day (just bike) 3-4 days a week

Saves at least £1500 each year by not having to buy a second car even after allowing
    for bike-related purchases & depreciation

Mike
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269

Currently not due to not having to be in an office in a country where I have a bike. If I keep having to be in Luxembourg that will change... I'll bring one here. And become awesome at climbing.

LiT what on earth are you doing in Lux? That is where i was born/lived for the first 18 years of my life... not the most happening place in the world!
  • flamite
    flamite Posts: 269
    I used to do a lot of mtb in my youth, and mtb to uni in london etc

but discovered road biking 1 1/2 years ago, havent looked back...
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,170
    Been commuting in London since 1998. As demonstrated by two nicked bikes; one very happily recovered.
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    flamite wrote:

LiT what on earth are you doing in Lux? That is where i was born/lived for the first 18 years of my life... not the most happening place in the world!

Working!

No, it's not very happening. I don't enjoy it enormously, but one of the big things I dislike is the fact that I have no independent transport, so am reliant on the others for lifts everywhere. A bike would fix that... I would probably be able to talk my boss into buying me one.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Since 2003. Bar 3 months off after the accident and the odd day when early/late meetings force PT, I've commuted pretty much every week day since then.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    I would probably be able to talk my boss into buying me one.
    Carbon no.2 :) Would only cost the same as a good laptop, tax deductable etc etc ;)

Back on-topic:
    Rode to/from school/college
    Rode to/from uni
    PT for the first couple of years working in London
    2001-present
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited March 2010
    My mum and dad let me start cycling to school in 1980. I've been cycle commuting ever since - school, University, work.

So that's 30 years. 8)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Since September 2006 when I moved to SE London from Islington. I used to walk to work from Islington but that became a little less practical when I moved 6 and a bit miles from the office.
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Someone, I can't remember who, posted on another thread, I can't remember which one, that they had been cycle commuting for 27 years.

They should really have got a job closer to home :wink:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Admittedly I stopped commuting when I lived in Clapham (1990) for a year as the journey to work by tube was so short I got lazy - the piece de resistance in my commuting years - the jewel in the crown so to speak was in the late 80s - i lived in Harlesden. The journey took about an hour by tube - one day I made it in less than 10 minutes on the bike. That's what cycle commuting is all about. Mind you I was still late towork nearly every day. :roll: