jodrell bank sportive

Comments

• supersid
    supersid Posts: 5
    Instead of hiding behind your anonymity. Why don't you tell everbody your real name then we can check the results and all have a look at your pictures ourselves.

If indeed I was the organiser I could post them on here myself.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    supersid wrote:
    Instead of hiding behind your anonymity. Why don't you tell everbody your real name then we can check the results and all have a look at your pictures ourselves.

What a strange idea...

The organiser posting as 'torelli' is apparently called Tony cos someone actually knows him, but the rest of us don't

As for you, did the vicar not object to your parents having you christened as 'supersid' ?
  • i was out on sunday and there were plenty around macclesfield…
    riding on my bicycle, i saw a motorcrash…
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    supersid wrote:

I don't really understand this question... you're asking people to post real life pictures of themselves... why?

Interesting to note that since you joined just a few days ago you've made only 3 posts, all of which are to attack people on this thread who disagree with the organiser.

Curious. Maybe I should make an irrational demand that you post a r/l photo of yourself so that we can identify you also?
  • supersid
    themightyw wrote:
    supersid wrote:

I don't really understand this question... you're asking people to post real life pictures of themselves... why?

Interesting to note that since you joined just a few days ago you've made only 3 posts, all of which are to attack people on this thread who disagree with the organiser.

Curious. Maybe I should make an irrational demand that you post a r/l photo of yourself so that we can identify you also?

So what has Fungus the Muffin Man and Slow N Old got to hide. If everything they are saying is correct.
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    What on earth has what they look like in real life / how fast they rode the sportive got to do with their legitimate comments about the event???!

You now seem to have moved from accusing some of them of not paying for the ride to now making veiled threats to post photos of them in revenge?

This is getting ludicrous... you really need to calm down.
  • Sooooo glad I did the forum spring fling instead of this - very sad conclusion. Plus I got to share a great dinner with my parents. I am starting to come down on the side of not riding sportives personally, unless I see that what I actually get is value for money - that would include feed stations with food and at least changing facilities and post ride refreshment. Signs are good too, though a reasonable route map (maybe get into the road rally tulip style) is a great help. I do not go on a four hour plus car journey without my own independant means of navigating after all!

Regarding the childish slanging, as a teacher I am always very aware of the 'he said-shesaid' issue when problems arise. It is however of note that both OldnSlow and Fungus have at least partly completed their profiles and do include names, wheras supersid seems to have nothing on his profile nor does he seem to have any other cycling interests other than defending this sportive! Odd that, though personally I draw no conclusions as to motive nor an individuals identity.
    If I can feel the pain in my arse, I mustn't be hurting my legs enough.
  • supersid
    themightyw wrote:
    What on earth has what they look like in real life / how fast they rode the sportive got to do with their legitimate comments about the event???!

You now seem to have moved from accusing some of them of not paying for the ride to now making veiled threats to post photos of them in revenge?

For one it would prove wether Slow N Old had actually done any of these events or just up to Mischeif.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    I can vouch that Slow-n-old has participated in the Mad March Event, whilst I and Fungus (and a number of others here) participated in the dreadful Jodrell fiasco.

My picture is on the left :roll:
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • skinsey
    skinsey Posts: 105
    As The Mighty W says, this is getitng ludicrous. I'll try to bring a bit of perspective for any actual or potential organisers of sportives who might be reading this, or those who may be connected to them.

Lots of us enjoy sportives, though I acknowledge others prefer alternative cycling events. For me, cycling with a large bunch of others, on a signed, well-thought out route, with good feedstations, proper timing and some marshalling/support is something I get a buzz out of, and I'm in the fortunate position of being able to pay £20 or so a few times a year to do it. For example, I'm doing the Cheshire Cat Sportive this weekend.

When we pay our money we hope for some decent organisation. When we write about our experiences on here afterwards (or observations in the case of the direction arrows - it was me that raised that), then sure, for many our first motivation will be complaint.

However, our second motivation is to provide feedback that might bring about improvements, because we love to ride good sportives. For example - and I have absolutely no connection with the organisation - Kilotogo got some criticism for the Wild Edric sportive route last year (which I rode), on this forum and elsewhere, and consequently have changed the route for this year. It's a good case of an organiser listening to what was said and addressing concerns, and a reason why, I suspect, Kilotogo's sportives are very popular.

So, please take feedback in the spirit it is intended. Sometimes it may be ill-informed or a single negative anecdote in a sea of satisfaction, but those of us who've had a different experience will both recogonise that and post accordingly. Over the last 5 years of reading sportive reviews on here, I've seen very little - in fact nothing - which has struck me as maliciously motivated. So let's stop all this nonsense about photos and who did what time and so on, and take the nuggets of feedback that undoubtedly exist.
  • supersid wrote:
    themightyw wrote:
    supersid wrote:

So what has Fungus the Muffin Man and Slow N Old got to hide. If everything they are saying is correct.

If you need to know so much then go on the appropriate website and look up number 302 my name is Ian Angus and I have nothing to hide. Would you also like my place of work, telephone number and home address?

Also as I've previously stated I know of the organiser through a mutual friend. So I'm far from hiding my online anonimity. He could quite easily get in touch with me regarding this if he wanted to.

Are you a hitman? Have I now got a contract out on me? What reason do you need this kind of information for?
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • supersid wrote:
    themightyw wrote:

For one it would prove wether Slow N Old had actually done any of these events or just up to Mischeif.

If you had even bothered to read the thread properly. You can read can't you? You would see quite clearly that slow n old was unable to do the ride due to injury and after both of us consulted with Tony ( the organiser) via email the ok was given for me to take my friends place so he wouldn't lose out on money, as I paid him the amount he had paid for the sportive. :roll:
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    Are you a hitman? Have I now got a contract out on me?

I think anyone seen riding a Bianchi around Heywood will be asking for trouble... :lol:
  • andy_wrx wrote:
    Are you a hitman? Have I now got a contract out on me?

I think anyone seen riding a Bianchi around Heywood will be asking for trouble... :lol:

Most of the people living in heywood don't understand why I ride a bike named after a ginger bird in Eastenders :roll:

Luckily for me a guy in tight fitting lycra riding through town is quite normal compared to what the rest of the inbreds get up to :lol:
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    supersid wrote:
    themightyw wrote:

For one it would prove whether Slow N Old had actually done any of these events or just up to Mischeif.

What Planet are you on Supersid, I stated very clearly that I couldn't ride because of injury and I sold my place no 302 to fungus.

Prior to booking any event I research as to whether it is well organised or not and a simple google last year brought up a load of negatives, but it seemed like torrelli intended to rectify it having learnt a lesson.

Tony wrote to me privately and I haven't replied to him yet as I am waiting to hear from my mates, but I will reply when I am good and ready and not when a jumped up Tw*t can't be bothered to read the previous posts.

Go and read the posts then come back to me with your questions.
  • mrchrispy
    mrchrispy Posts: 310
    I enjoyed the ride...good early season route (did the 80).

However, 25 notes is a lot for what it was and as others have pointed out....
    1. Parking was a bit of a nightmare.
    2. Toilets were a nightmare.
    3. Being charged for food/drink at the finish was a little rude.

However....
    I did find the route pretty easy to follw (got lost once but hey-ho...sh1t happens) and I was perfectly happy with the 2 feed stations....quick fuel and go is all you want anyway.

I don't really have much to compare to and we were going to do the Peaks ride but after this thread I don't think we'll bother.
  • pprince
    pprince Posts: 141
    I think organisers need to put emphasis on getting the basics right before charging extortionate entry fees and not delivering. Reading the thread, it seems this one didnt deliver for some people though its not a balanced argument as not ALL riders have commented only the very disgruntled. thats just me sitting on the fence.

The Sportive scene will sort itself out. The good ones will stay, the bad ones wont. Simple.

That said, if riders keep paying, organisers will keep organising (and charging), simple supply and demand.

I do believe though sportives should have somekind of minimum standard. I'd happily sign up to somekind of voluntary code guaranteeing riders a certain 'level' of event based on what riders pay to enter. Difficult one to manage but the idea in principle, I think, is the way forward.

Paul Prince
    Mad March Hare Organiser

PS.....thanks for the kind words from some about my event
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    Paul you organised a good event and the only small hiccup was the gpx files, but otherwise it was run superbly and a credit to your hard work, if everyone followed your standards then the sportive scene would be a guaranteed success.

Well done Paul.

PS Can we get rid of the 2nd orrible hill ! :shock: :wink: for next year?
  • pprince
    Slow-N-Old wrote:
    Paul you organised a good event and the only small hiccup was the gpx files, but otherwise it was run superbly and a credit to your hard work, if everyone followed your standards then the sportive scene would be a guaranteed success.

Well done Paul.

PS Can we get rid of the 2nd orrible hill ! :shock: :wink: for next year?

blame bikeley.com for the naff .gpx files. 2nd year they've been out so I'll sort that out seperately for the next year
    The route will be different again next year too with another different 'signature' climb in it :wink:

the event will improve as it has the past 2 years

Paul
  • Paul has set a high standard with his sportive, the Mad March Hare.

Economists will know of the famous phrase by Hirschman, "Exit, Voice and Loyalty" as the mechanism used by customers in the market place.

1. Exit - people cease to use a service due to low standard ;
    2. Voice - people will express a desire for improvement and the supplier will respond positively and if they do not, the customer will exit;
    3. Loyalty - people will continue their loyal support for services that deliver.

From reading this thread, Jodrell Bank clearly falls into the Exit category. Events such as the MMH fall into the Loyal category and deservedly so!

Hopefully Voice expressed by participants will result in other event organiser raising their bar and follow the example set by events such as the Mad March Hare, Ken Laidlaw, Cumberland Challenge, etc.
  • cjw
    cjw Posts: 1,889
    +1

Also the web is now a powerful customer advocate / dissastified customer tool.

In the future when good sportive organisers post of their upcoming events they will attract posts along the lines of;

"excellent event last year, can't wait, count me in :D "

Whereas imagine Jodrell's;

"No way, don't waste your money and they never listen to customers :evil: See this thread ...."

We have long memories....
    London to Paris Forum
    http://cjwoods.com/london2paris

Scott Scale 10
    Focus Izalco Team
  • idw
    idw Posts: 11
    I’ve read this topic with interest, as I rode the event, and it seems to have turned into a petty slanging match and not in my opinion a review of the event. I’m not too interested in the whole he said/she said my dads bigger than your dad argument that seems to be carrying on but I will give a purely unbiased opinion of the event, and before I start getting accusations thrown at me, no I’m not related to the organisers or have any connection the event with even other than I rode it.

Parking – Registration was defined as being between 7-8, I arrived at 7:20am and had no problem parking. I’m pretty sure in the event e-mail it mentioned street parking if the car park was full. I’m not sure how people can complain if they arrived at after 8 and the car park was full.

Feed Stops – No problem for me, I found them both, hard to miss really!! Grabbed some bananas and was even offered extra gels for the road by the people manning the feed stop. What more do people expect? I’ve been on some sportives that had out of date swiss rolls and sausage rolls??? I’m happy with couple of bananas and gels.

Markers – All seemed fine to me. I did the 80m route and never had an issue. I even thought at the time it was quite nice to see extra markers if for example you had been riding for a while just to confirm you were still on the right track.

Route – For the time of year it was this was ideal for me, 55m fairly flat, with a little sting in the tail.

Food after – I didn’t hang around for any of the food, I tend to take my own recovery drinks. Free coffee would have been a good idea for people that wanted it though, but I don’t think I’ve ridden a sportive which has offered free food at the end, and considering I rode ten or so last year, I wasn’t surprised to hear there was a cost. Even reliability’s I’ve done this year have a few cakes/biscuits and coffee available.

I did think the timing print-out at the end was good, this is the first time I’ve ever encountered this service, plus point for me.

I am also planning on riding the Tour of the Peak District and I don’t think people should judge the organiser based on this thread, ride one and see for yourself!
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    idw wrote:
    I don’t think people should judge the organiser based on this thread

I've the judged the organiser based on his posts on this thread, and he seems like a c0ck
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    idw wrote:

I am also planning on riding the Tour of the Peak District and I don’t think people should judge the organiser based on this thread, ride one and see for yourself!

I've judged the organiser based on his responses to constructive comment and have also come to the conclusion that, well, see what Redddragon put...

I'm not paying 25 quid to 'find out for myself' based on what I've seen here.
  • idw
    OK, I personally wouldn't judge the eventbased on this thread, having ridden it i don't believe it's a balanced view. I can't comment on the organiser, I don't personally know him.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    It's enough to put me off spending 25 quid to ride my bike, thanks.
  • idw
    That's fair enough, but i rode it and I quite enjoyed it.
  • MrZ
    MrZ Posts: 55
    idw wrote:
    OK, I personally wouldn't judge the eventbased on this thread, having ridden it i don't believe it's a balanced view. I can't comment on the organiser, I don't personally know him.

Well said. Please also see my previous, hopefully balanced review of this event.
    This forum could be described as the following:

1. A few people are somewhat overcritical of an on the whole enjoyable event that had a few minor flaws
    2. The organiser then shoots himself in the foot by reacting to this (over) criticism very badly
    3. It all descends into petty and ridiculous nonesense.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    idw wrote:
    That's fair enough, but i rode it and I quite enjoyed it.
    So what you've highlighted is that the event was more successful for the early arrivers/early starters - more food, easy parking, and probably the toilets were in a cleaner state the earlier you used them.

It sounds like the capacity to hold the event was lower than the actual number of participants. This is either down to poor planning or greed. The organiser should take this on board and look at how this could be improved - either improve facilities or reduce the number of participants to something that is manageable and allows a consistent and quality offering to everyone - after all, everyone pays the same amount to enter.

I would be interested to know what the costs are in hosting an event like this. I'm sure we'll never be party to this information, however.
  • pprince
    Ands wrote:
    idw wrote:
    I would be interested to know what the costs are in hosting an event like this. I'm sure we'll never be party to this information, however.

do a search on my previous posts, I posted costs of my event last year on here somewhere