London centric post on todays commute to the City

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
It started in Wimbledon, worked its way through Colliers Wood, Tooting, Balham and Clapham. Traffic! Where did all that traffic come from it was ridiculous and at times too dangerous to filter as cars would randomly swerve left or right to nip down a side road or merely dart around traffic. Then there was the large number of police. What happened, was something going on? Was London on high alert or something?
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I feel your pain - took me about 1hr20mins to get in this morning :shock:. I reckon the motorists have worked out another route now that Albert Bridge is blocked. Took them a while, mind. The majority seemed to be peeling off the common to go down to Battersea Bridge
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    Yeah, seriously.

I come in from the North, and it was proper silly nearly all the way. I reckon I cycled past a traffic jam that was a good 5 miles in length.
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    What happened, was something going on? Was London on high alert or something?

I did a similar route, left home about 7.30. Looked like the Northern Line was down, so bus stops were overflowing, and loads of people were walking. There were loads of police/ambulances around. Traffic wasnt too bad at that time so I enjoyed my ride in.

Also did you see the beginnings of the cycle superhighway, there are some big blue strips appearing.
  • DonDaddyD
    Terry, Waterloo Bridge seemed ok and there was less traffic once I got past Oval/Vauxhall tube area. You might be right. This may mean though I need a route change.

Also did you notice the blue stoned ASL and cycle lane between Colliers Wood and Tooting?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • londonlivvy
    londonlivvy Posts: 644
    I think there were big issues with the northern line so more people may have decided to drive? The gates to the tube at Balham were shut when I went through there and there were crowds of people queueing all over the road.
  • DonDaddyD

Also did you see the beginnings of the cycle superhighway, there are some big blue strips appearing.

Is that all it is? What a useless thing, I just thought they re-laid the ASL and cycle filter lane with blue stones.
    Food Chain number = 4

• Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    Check out the plans on the TFL website - not hugely inspiring, a few signs, some blue paint and some new ASLs....from what i can gather.
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    Sewinman wrote:
    Check out the plans on the TFL website - not hugely inspiring, a few signs, some blue paint and some new ASLs....from what i can gather.
    +1
    http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/w ... ways-25041

In fact, some of it looks like segregation from the road *sigh*
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    I think there were big issues with the northern line so more people may have decided to drive? The gates to the tube at Balham were shut when I went through there and there were crowds of people queueing all over the road.
    ... and Jubilee line and Waterloo and City. Bank closed due to overcrowding...

I've just had the rants from my PT-using colleagues.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    +1

Well I think that was the point though wasn't it to encourage 'everyone' to cycle

I'm sure it'll mean cyclist on the road getting more grief as we're not on the highway

Edit... Having had a quick look at the article for the first time aren't they just blue cycle lanes? they still have the broken lines so what has it actually done?
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    JonGinge wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:
    +1

Well I think that was the point though wasn't it to encourage 'everyone' to cycle

I'm sure it'll mean cyclist on the road getting more grief as we're not on the highway

Edit... Having had a quick look at the article for the first time aren't they just blue cycle lanes? they still have the broken lines so what has it actually done?
    Sure, but the initial PR seemed to suggest priority for cyclists on these road 'superhighways'. Maybe that was wishful thinking on my part.
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • jonginge
    Clever Pun wrote:
    It's the last picture that gets me. There's a perfectly good road there but the artist's impression gives a very narrow two-laned cycle-path away from it. Score!
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    they'll still be full of detritus anyway
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Sewinman
    Given what i saw today it should be named - cycle and moped super highway. I wonder if they will inforce the ASLs and superhighway more.
  • Well the blue strips are about double the current cycle lane width - so thats a improvement.

The removal of the pedestrian barriers around intersections is probably a good thing for those cyclists who used to enjoy being squeezed against them, but there are now more places for the moron ped's to cross the road (while looking everywhere except right)
  • Today was the first day for a couple of weeks that I've
    trundled in.

It was slow along Colliers wood, but it is, most of the time.

Clapham Common was also blocked and slower - for the first time I can remenber.

It would have had a much bigger impact on you speedy girls than a clogger like me.

But the sun was out and I didn't get wet for the first time in months.

The blueness was a bit iof a shock but I'll see how it goes before
    being negative.
    No Babbit No, Look what Birdy doing
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Sewinman wrote:
    Given what i saw today it should be named - cycle and moped super highway. I wonder if they will inforce the ASLs and superhighway more.

Fat chance! It will remain the moped superhighway and ASLs will remain for the use of mopeds and motorbikes. No different from the green cycle lanes...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Terry, Waterloo Bridge seemed ok and there was less traffic once I got past Oval/Vauxhall tube area. You might be right. This may mean though I need a route change.

Also did you notice the blue stoned ASL and cycle lane between Colliers Wood and Tooting?

Terry? Who's Terry? Are you getting confused by my surname: Sterry?

I missed the start of the Superhighway, as I turned on to the A24 at Tooting Broadway - doesn't sound like I missed much though. Not sure how I can avoid Mitcham on my route though.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • DonDaddyD wrote:
    What happened, was something going on? Was London on high alert or something?
    Mrs OSK had her first commute to work this morning (thanks by the way to everyone for their route advice :-)), perhaps that was the reason. :P

Watch out for a Purple Brompton looking for scalps in the city, she's already had her first impatient White Van Man experience. 8)
  • VespaTrek
    VespaTrek Posts: 72
    Sewinman wrote:

Fat chance! It will remain the moped superhighway and ASLs will remain for the use of mopeds and motorbikes. No different from the green cycle lanes...

Only because most bicycles dont bother using the ASL boxes and either go through them and wait or RLJ :roll: :roll:
    Vespa GTS 300 most days... Trek 7.7FX the rest
  • Sewinman
    Chicken or egg with ASLs. I creep throuh them to avoid motorbikes who seem to have to give it full beans off every amber. Either that or i am relegated to the gutter due to all the mopeds.

I saw loads of mopeds using the cycle lane at the junction North of Vauxhall Bridge this morning.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Only because most bicycles dont bother using the ASL boxes and either go through them and wait or RLJ :roll: :roll:

Wrong. Scooters enter the ASL boxes for the same reason some cyclists don't wait for red lights: because they can't be @rsed to wait. In the case of scooters, it's not wanting to wait behind other traffic.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Wrong. Scooters enter the ASL boxes for the same reason some cyclists don't wait for red lights: because they can't be @rsed to wait. In the case of scooters, it's not wanting to wait behind other traffic.

Exactly. Risking opening a can of worms, I shoot through the ASL box specifically because it's usually full of mopeds and motorbikes who gun the accelerator as soon as the lights go green. Most cyclists move ahead of the ASL because the ASL is still a dangerous place to be not because they want tio geven further ahead of the traffic!
  • Headhuunter
    cjcp wrote:
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Exactly. Risking opening a can of worms, I shoot through the ASL box specifically because it's usually full of mopeds and motorbikes who gun the accelerator as soon as the lights go green. Most cyclists move ahead of the ASL because the ASL is still a dangerous place to be not because they want tio geven further ahead of the traffic!
  • Dav3m
    Dav3m Posts: 84
    what does ASL stand for?
  • VespaTrek
    Dav3m wrote:
    what does ASL stand for?

Advanced Scooter-stop Line
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Sewinman wrote:

I attended a TfL presentation on this a while back. The first two are being rushed through without proper consultation so they are bound to be quite poor. I'm not sure why TfL felt they needed to do this so quickly.

The promise was that roads would get redesigns - large gyratories removed and the cycle lane would be continuous wiht new enforcing powers being sough to keep the lanes clear at all times.

also i think they are intended to be wider than cycle lanes have generally been to allow overtaking.

I haven't been down to see what's been done already - but I intend to get involved in the consultation process for the next stage once these (probably) botch jobs have been completed.
  • Porgy
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Only because the ASL fills with mopeds, motorbikes and taxis. :roll:

your turn :roll:
  • VespaTrek
    Porgy wrote:
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Only because bicycles don't use them even when they are empty...
  • Porgy
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Porgy wrote:
    VespaTrek wrote:
    Sewinman wrote:

Only because bicycles don't use them even when they are empty...

That's not my experience tbh - and if it's true where you ride then we probably just need more cyclists out there.