where would you rather stay - b&b or campsite?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited March 2010 in MTB general
just thinking out loud for a future project and was wondering where peple would rather stay and what facilities they look for.

cheers guys :D

Comments

• Ho hum
    Ho hum Posts: 236
    B&B for me.

I have not been in a tent since I was a teenager.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The cheapest.

If BB it must have good bike security.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    i put campsite because i'm a cheapskate :)
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    I will never camp again as long as I've got a hole in my arse.

Camping just plain sucks balls in the UK. Why anyone would want to sleep in a nylon bag held in place with plastic poles. You've got all the security offered by a Zip.

I can't sleep in a tent unless I've had a few beers, then. I'll enevatably need a pee at 5am, which means dressing and drudging over to a piss smelling toilet in the dark. It WILL rain at some point. You'll be on first names terms with everyone else in the area because tents offer no sound proofing.

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED TO SLEEP IN A TENT AFTER AN 'OFF'! Oh balls to that again.

I like a nice B&B in the country,
    In-house bar and 'home cooked style' food.
    A nice bed and ensuite bathroom.
    Secure bike storage.
    A big old full-english, with the option of something less deadly.
    A nice view to sit with a beer after a hard days riding.

I like to get a riding weekend and a weeks riding abroad in every year. I was for ages the 'cheapest possible' type of person, but I've become used to the finer things in life, like indoor plumbing at cutlery.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    P-Jay wrote:
    I'm a big poofy pussy.

Yes thats correct
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    P-Jay wrote:
    I like to get a riding weekend and a weeks riding abroad in every year. I was for ages the 'cheapest possible' type of person, but I've become used to the finer things in life, like indoor plumbing at cutlery.
    and pillow fights and plaitting each other's hair? :roll:
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I like camping but if it's riding related I want a nice comfy bed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • mac_man
    mac_man Posts: 918
    welshkev wrote:
    just thinking out loud for a future project and was wondering where peple would rather stay and what facilities they look for.

Depends on your budget...

Camping £5 - £10 a night.
    B&B £60 - £80+ a night?

Bike security would be my biggest concern on a campsite. If you can lock it in your car at night I guess you'd be ok. Not as if nobody will miss the alarm going off if somebody tries to nick it. ;-)

Ever thought about a Youth Hostel? A lot of the plusher hostels have private rooms and they even do breakfast. Some of the Lake District ones are in stunning locations as well

https://www.yha.org.uk

Just a thought....

But as for camping.... sometimes I enjoy the back-to-basics of it. But the weather has to be decent. No fun AT ALL when it's pissing it down. Camping is ok for a couple of days in this country. Any longer and it would have to be abroad. Stayed at some superb places in France and Spain... with swimming pools, decent bars, restaurants etc.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

By day: http://www.mtfu.co.uk
  • mac_man
    welshkev wrote:

Depends on your budget...

Camping £5 - £10 a night.
    B&B £60 - £80+ a night?

Bike security would be my biggest concern on a campsite. If you can lock it in your car at night I guess you'd be ok. Not as if nobody will miss the alarm going off if somebody tries to nick it. ;-)

Ever thought about a Youth Hostel? A lot of the plusher hostels have private rooms and they even do breakfast. Some of the Lake District ones are in stunning locations as well

https://www.yha.org.uk

Just a thought....

But as for camping.... sometimes I enjoy the back-to-basics of it. But the weather has to be decent. No fun AT ALL when it's pissing it down. Camping is ok for a couple of days in this country. Any longer and it would have to be abroad. Stayed at some superb places in France and Spain... with swimming pools, decent bars, restaurants etc.
    Cool, retro and sometimes downright rude MTB and cycling themed T shirts. Just MTFU.

• mac_man
    edited March 2010
    Nutz... where's the delete post when you need it.

• Cadence35
    Cadence35 Posts: 13
    ilovedirt wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:

Haha. Pretty odd question I guess, are they both free?? Otherwise surely it all depends on what you like spending your accomodation money on
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    youth hostel, or if none available, b and b.
  • I chose camping but the best option for me is some kind of self catering apartment/chalet with my own bathroom! When with the bike I'd rather not have to worry about spreading mud over hotels/b+b's, so having access to all your own facilities is a must and obviously, it must have a secure bike lock up.
  • andyp79
    andyp79 Posts: 78
    B&B every time.

I am one of those folk who hates camping. Last time I went I was 18, drank nearly a whole case of beer and still couldn't sleep. Never again.

You don't need to cart as mush stuff if you B&B it as well. To me I'd much rather pay the extra to stay in a proper bed.

I think my camping experience scarred me beyond recovery though! :)

Andy
    Why so serious?
  • Campsites for me!

But then, my motorhome is rather luxurious. Nice comfy bed, hot shower, kitchen, telly/dvd and nice heating system.
    8)
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    either. got back from a three day trip round the west mids by bike yesterday- sleeping in a really quite cramped tent, got pretty damp. B&b (or YHA) would probably have been more comfortable but less of a story to tell!
    If you can guarantee the weather I'd choose camping every time for a tour, but if I was going to Welsh or Scottish trail centre, say, I'd probably go indoors- it's more about the riding than the overall experience
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Torres
    Torres Posts: 1,266
    There's a place near Gentress called the Kalzie(Sp) bunkhouse, if you're after a little businss venture, i'd give that a look as a model.
    Secure coded bike lock up, youth hostle style rooms, huge kitchen (self catering,) living room, tv etc and all for only £20 per person per night (not a lot more than camping, and you get a roof.) The woman that runs it is also uber nice; i'd use something similar for sure. :D
    What We Achieve In Life, Echoes In Eternity
  • fletch8928
    fletch8928 Posts: 794
    Darn it. I voted for B&B but in May I shall be in a tent due to mates choice.
    Plans changed and it looks like I maybe only a few miles from a friend who has a boozer. Now it may not be the done thing but for the sake of a few miles I may be missing on the evenings, well at least 1.
    It was 14 years ago the last time i went biking and camped. Its ok when your in your 20s.
    fly like a mouse, run like a cushion be the small bookcase!
  • lovewales
    lovewales Posts: 411
    Campsite - there are 4 us who get very muddy and B&B's are too expensive, plus I hate leaving muddy marks all over their very white towels and floors and walls. I

f you are thinking business venture there are things called camping pods which always look interesting but I have not stayed in them as we have gone back to a caravan, but I would certainly consider bike lockers of some sort if you aiming for a bike specific market.
    If every action has an equal and opposite reaction does that mean I will be eaten by a fly?
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    I've camped for over 30 years but my priority now is:

1. YHA - I've a life time membership. Also, Scottish YH membership is far cheaper then English :wink:

2. Independent Hostel - some great ones in Scotland.

3. Bunkhouse - again some good ones.

4. Barn-house.

5. Camping. Fed up with the cold clamy wet dismal windy soggy conditions. Oh and the midges as you cook a meal.

6. B&B - some are good, others are strange.

7. Public Inn - Way down the list coz I'm too tempted with the lock-ins.

8. Expensive Hotels.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • slimboyjim
    slimboyjim Posts: 367
    B&B all the way for me - I'm too lazy to cook my own breakfast :D

I do enjoy camping but the bike security would be a worry for me so I'd have to choose carefully. Saying that I doubt it would be too hard to chuck the bike in the car providing I'd had the opportunity to wash it and bought a tarp to put it on... The missus would go NUTS otherwise...!
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    Camping Euro style for me

Bloody great big 2m standing height tent with a vestibule big enough to store bikes in and a bedroom larger than some flats I've lived in.

Electrical hookup and a 12/220v fridge, music and nice big cooker

Sorted!

Don't mind B&Bs at all and in winter that or over here a Gite is the nuts but you need to sort a cycle friendly one as SS points out; bike security and no dirty looks for coming in all minging.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Bunkhouse, some can be as cheap as camping with secure bike storage.
    How about wild camping?
  • homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,238
    I put B&B, unfortunatly there isn't one at SITS so I'll have to sleep in a tent again.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    cheers for the replies guys.

yeah i thought that bike security would be high on everyones lists, along with possibly a bike wash? decent grub served on site? bar on site?
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    welshkev wrote:
    cheers for the replies guys.

yeah i thought that bike security would be high on everyones lists, along with possibly a bike wash? decent grub served on site? bar on site?

All sound ideal to me.

Human washplace would be important too of course.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Depends on the length of your cycling day. After 8-10 hours cycling in UK weather, do you really want to be putting up a tent at the end of it, then trekking over to a separate shower facility, then trying to find somewhere to eat, only to have to pack it all up and cook your own breakfast before starting again the next morning. Not to mention having to cart the gear around. Camping seems (and is) great when the weather's good, but pitching and then retiring to a soaking wet tent in the teaming rain after a soaking wet bike-ride is not high on my list of life's pleasures.

I'd make an exception for a 'proper' trek where in order to get out into the wilderness I had to take my home with me. I'd make an exception for a challenge trip (eg unsupported LEJOG). I'd make an exception if I only planned on cycling a handful of hours a day. But heading out for my annual few days cycling fun, it's B+B for me all the way!
  • myopic
    myopic Posts: 692
    B&B - I don't mind camping (we camp a couple of times a year) but only if there's not a convenein option. Comparing a dry comfy bed and a decent breakfast to a cramped space, lumpy ground and brekafast in the rain - there's no contest! Maybe if we had a bigger tent, inflatable mattress etc
    You don't need eyes to see, you need vision
  • P-Jay
    P-Jay Posts: 1,478
    ilovedirt wrote:
    P-Jay wrote:
    I like to get a riding weekend and a weeks riding abroad in every year. I was for ages the 'cheapest possible' type of person, but I've become used to the finer things in life, like indoor plumbing and cutlery.

Yeah, blah blah blah I'm a great big poofta.

I've camped in France, camped at Glastonbury 4 times and slept in a swag in the outback, sleeping outdoors in Oz is something that will stay with me for the rest of my life.

But sleeping is a tent in the UK to save a couple of quid? Oh no, I think I'll work a bit harder and enjoy a nigt in a comfy bed after a nice bit of food and a pint on my riding break :lol::lol:
  • nomadicbry
    nomadicbry Posts: 223
    I voted BB as i'd rather stay in a B&B than camp but in all likliehood it would come down to cost and I'd probably camp more often than take a B&B.

We have a massive tent room enough to store the bikes, family, car, kitchen sink, next door's car and caravan and still room to sit around and drink beer. Actually I might need a smaller tent
    Enough bikes to open a bike shop but always room for one more...