2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport

scottbowlby
scottbowlby Posts: 143
edited April 2010 in Your mountain bikes
My week old Hardrock, upgraded Handlebars to EA30's already and replaced pedals with some DMR V8's also replaced nasty white Specialized grips with some locking Bontrager ones :). Looking to replace stem, tyres and forks asap :)

DSC00001-1.jpg
DSC00002-2.jpg
DSC00003-2.jpg
DSC00004.jpg

Not the most high end bike by any means but does for my daily commute and odd weekend out in Dalby.

Comments

• Dubzy
    Dubzy Posts: 123
    Very nice too, and loving the sandals - RAF or The Who memorabilia?
    Life's good

Boardman MTB Team
  • Dubzy wrote:
    Very nice too, and loving the sandals - RAF or The Who memorabilia?

They look like slippers to me..
  • scottbowlby
    Haha they are slippers and were from Asda lol

Got a RaceFace Ride stem today from JE James, still mulling over what forks to get :/
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298

Got a RaceFace Ride stem today from JE James, still mulling over what forks to get :/

What forks are you considering?
  • I really like the new hardrock frames, i think they look like must more expensive frames than they actually are.
    My Bikes And Me
    A bicycle can't stand alone; it is two tired.
  • specialeyes
    specialeyes Posts: 542
    I have the exact same bike, had mine for 6 months now and have upgraded the pedals for some da bomb icy ice polycarb ones, new front wheel build (funn xlrater rim) due to me banana-ing my original on an ill thought out downhill race with a mate, lol, new odi yeti grips in white and have just bought some 2010 marzocchi 44 rlo forks to replace the suntours.

all been gradual upgrades as i have realised parts were not up to the job. how come you are upgrading all those parts so soon after purchase, as you said you have had it a week?
  • scottbowlby
    Well the supplied pedals are pants so that upgrade was a no brainer, handlebars i detested the white colour and wanted a longer stem. Also the white grips were uncomfortable for me and i wanted black ones to go with the handlebars :/
  • specialeyes
    What forks are you after? and are those bars much of an improvement? Was lookin @ the ea30's myself. Got my marzocchi's today, will be glad to be shut of those suntours!
  • scottbowlby
    Yeah there slightly wider which i prefer and after some Tora's i reckon :)

Heres the RaceFace stem fitted :)

DSC00006.jpg
    DSC00007.jpg
  • specialeyes
    Stem looks nice! What length did you go for? I was looking @ a thomson one but they are a bit pricey! The toras seem to be a popular choice, almost got them myself. Check out merlin cycles for some crazy deals!
  • scottbowlby
    Hey stem is 100mm :)

Should have my new forks tomoz courtesy of a fellow forum member by the name of Scott haha

currently got some Marzocchi MX Comps on at the mo as a stop gap anythings better than the Suntours lol

Looking for a thomson layback seatpost but bit pricey for me to buy brand new so hoping to pick up one up second hand cheaper :)
  • scottbowlby
    Nasty phone pic of it just cleaned it too :)

DSC00001-2.jpg
  • scottbowlby
    just gave it a clean looks so much nicer without the crud guard on imo

DSC00016-2.jpg
    DSC00015-3.jpg
    DSC00014-2.jpg
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    my much younger brother has got one of these for his birthday, looks really nice and i was impressed by the weight, have to agree that the forks are abit ppo, but he's gonna love it. i had a set of toras and they were pretty good, brilliant for the price, far better than the suntours
  • Dan Dare
    Dan Dare Posts: 367
    Very nice 8) Did you notice if there was much of a weight difference between the new stem and bars compared to the original items?

Cheers

• scottbowlby
    got some "proper" forks finally haha also just got some peaty lock ons not fitted tho yet :/

DSC00017.jpg
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lol those forks must be worth as much as the bike :lol: looks ace mate, hope you're enjoying it :)
  • specialeyes
    Just need to replace the frame and you are done! :shock:
  • JamesBrckmn
    JamesBrckmn Posts: 1,360
    great forks, and colour works well with the white on the seat tube
  • jacob2910
    jacob2910 Posts: 218

get some rock shock reba sl i have got them and they are amazing
  • scottbowlby
    i have teams why would i want SL's :p

with some new Swalbe Albert Tyre's and Peaty lock ons :)

DSC00025.jpg
  • scottbowlby
    New Charge Spoon saddle and Thomson Layback seatpost :)

DSC00038.jpg

DSC00037.jpg
  • specialeyes
    You would have been better off buying the frame on its own :lol:

What you gonna upgrade next? I would consider a new headset as the stock one is pants!

Serviced mine a few times because it just invites crap into it! Looks like someone melted a caramac bar and sprinkled a crunchie inside! :shock:
  • scottbowlby
    Well i've been thinking and i'm just going to probably get a new frame when funds allow. Looking at a P7, they stock Orange in my lbs and i've ridden a 21inch one and it feels a lot more comfortable and natural than the Hardrock.

Apart from wheels and drivetrain everything swapped on to a P7 frame would make a nice bike :)

(ps next upgrade is a Thomson stem picked one up cheap on here :))
  • specialeyes
    Well i've been thinking and i'm just going to probably get a new frame when funds allow. Looking at a P7, they stock Orange in my lbs and i've ridden a 21inch one and it feels a lot more comfortable and natural than the Hardrock.

Apart from wheels and drivetrain everything swapped on to a P7 frame would make a nice bike :)

(ps next upgrade is a Thomson stem picked one up cheap on here :))

Sweet! Those thomson stems are well sexy too! Plus if you have kept your old bits you will be able to put the hardrock back together when you get your orange :D then sell it or use it for knocking about on! :wink:
  • scottbowlby
    I'd probably sell it tbh, though i have apart from the original forks kept everything :)

Hows your Hardrock? be great to see some pics of someone elses Hardrock Sport :)
  • specialeyes
    Out of action for a couple of days, Snapped/mangled the chain on saturday, not the first time ive had to walk home from a ride :D

New chain on the way with some new bars and stem :wink: shorter stem and wider bars to cope with the riding ive been doing! Will be looking at a new frame myself soon, If i had known then what i know now i would have bought a different bike but its taking the punishment admirably :)

I'll get some pics up when ive fitted the parts!

Fancy a santa cruz heckler :shock:
  • scottbowlby
    So today my Superstar Nano Pedals came, great i thought finally replace the V8's i take the left V8 off no problem, right one was dead stuck...
    ok i thought i'll just nip to my lbs 5 min walk away, they undid the pedal with a bit of pursuasion great i thought, so i walk back home, finish unscrewing off the pedal.
    I get my Nano's put the left on no worries looks great, then the right did not want to screw in, i'd noticed there was some shards of metal on the outside of the crank arm when removing the V8 but thought nothing of it.
    I continue fettling trying to screw the pedal in with no luck, so went back to my lbs to be told the threads in the crank arm were shredded to bits and either needed re-threading (if salvageable) or the cranks replacing.... they said the cause was overtightneing, funnily enough last week i had both pedals off fine for maintenance and fitted em back on fine then 2 days ago my bike had its free service from Evans.

Guy in lbs says more than likely one of the them have gone over the bike tightening everything the pedal being one....

So i'm taking the bike to Evans to see what they say :/

all in all not happy as was due to go with a mate from work to Dalby tomoz would of been a mudfest but still.....
  • scottbowlby
    You guys reckon they should fix this free of charge as read online part of the first service is they tighten everything up as things can come loose in first few weeks of use or do you reckon they will try and pass the buck on to me?
  • scottbowlby
    So there fixing it by fitting a helicoil? should cost £20 but there doing it free of charge and will be ready tomoz :)