Help with getting fitness back please!

flyer
flyer Posts: 608
I only ride to keep fit, problem is after loosing 4st 4 years ago I have put a stone back on during last 8 months. Winter has not helped as I have lacked the motivation etc.

I do around 125 miles per week in summer, but if I am honest I would be lucky if I have done that since xmas.

I now have the bit beyween my teeth and have don 4 x 30 this week.

Think is I tend to do the same route, its good in some ways because I can measure my progress.

Any advise on how I should continue my fitness to shed that stone, would be much appreciated. I am now 14st and was 13st, I am 49 years old and 5ft 10".

Average MPH is 17.4 over 30 miles and 16.5 over 55 miles.

Is it worth hiring a coach, I understand they start from about £30 per month!

Many Thanks

Flyer

Comments

• Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    For me to keep the routine fresh and enjoyable its important to break up the rides into different routes so there's as little monotony as possible. Currently if im pressed for time im lucky to get a turbo session in on an evening but boy does it help keep the fitness levels up.

I also ride with friends where possible, this may mean a slower ride but the company goes a long way and can leave you refreshed for a hard solo session when it suits. Most important thing is to enjoy your cycling, taking it too serious definitely takes out the enjoyment for me!

:)
  • +1 on keeping fresh routes. Makes all the difference
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Slimbods
    Slimbods Posts: 321
    flyer wrote:
    Any advise on how I should continue my fitness to shed that stone, would be much appreciated. I am now 14st and was 13st, I am 49 years old and 5ft 10".

Club runs are the best motivation to me. You have to keep fit to stop from being dropped, and the mixture of steady pace followed by some surprise blasts keeps it interesting.
  • JimmyK
    JimmyK Posts: 712
    doing the same route over and over is the key to guaranteed boredom, you gotta switch your journeys .