Research testing - Northumbria University

adh038
adh038 Posts: 67
We are currently recruiting fit subjects for a study investigating cardiac function during exercise, to be carried out at Northumbria University (Newcastle). Subjects will be requested to visit the laboratory for two tests on a single occasion. We are aiming to recruit subjects aged 18 - 50 years with a recent training history consisting of at least 3 hours per week cycling.

Please note, that we hope to perform this testing between the 18th-30th April 2010.

For more information, please contact adrian.haggett@kingston.ac.uk or les.ansley@northumbria.ac.uk.

Comments

• hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    What will the tests include? What will the "subjects" find out in return, e.g. VO2 Max?
  • blackhands
    blackhands Posts: 950
    edited February 2010
    I though that the word "subject" was now non PC as it has overtones of Nazi testing in WW2 and that "participant" is now the word to use.
  • I would be interested if I was to get some benefit out of it such as my fitness stats.
  • chrisw12
    chrisw12 Posts: 1,246
    Sorry

post deleted
  • adh038
    All volunteers for the study will receive their VO2max and anaerobic threshold interpreted for training and performance use.
  • hugo15
    hugo15 Posts: 1,101
    Adrian

You might want to post your message over on http://www.mtbe.co.uk/ as there are quite a few North East based riders.

Can you also give some more details, e.g. how flexible you are on dates, will the test be carried out during the week or at a weekend, how long would you expect the tests to take?
  • adh038
    Each participant will receive their VO2max and anaerobic threshold, which we will interpret for use within their individual training programme. Regarding dates, we are flexible within the dates provided and can test over the weekends and during the evenings. Within the single lab visit, you would be asked to complete two protocols, separated by one hour. Including the set-up time for our cardiac measures, we anticipate the total time for the lab visit to be close to three hours.

Please feel free to email with any further questions.