Iphone cradle on road bikes?

Yam Yam Jay
Yam Yam Jay Posts: 21
Hi Guys,

Does any use a cradle for their Iphone on their bike.

I have jsut downloaded th app, map my ride, a little like Garmin connect but for only £2.99 good enough for a starter.

Are the cradles secure?

Jase
I'm cycling 260 miles in May 2010 to raise money for children with terminal cancer. Please visit my site to make a small donation: www.justgiving.com/on-me-bike

Comments

• Cant help with the cradle but have used the App. FInd it pretty good and it seemed to keep the gps connection even in rural areas. I particularly like the feature to send live ride updates to Twitter. its no Garmin 705 though
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Yeah looks quiet good and a cash saver till i can get a garmin
    I'm cycling 260 miles in May 2010 to raise money for children with terminal cancer. Please visit my site to make a small donation: www.justgiving.com/on-me-bike
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    stokepa31 wrote:
    Cant help with the cradle but have used the App. FInd it pretty good and it seemed to keep the gps connection even in rural areas. I particularly like the feature to send live ride updates to Twitter. its no Garmin 705 though

Why would it not keep GPS connection in rural areas?
    More problems but still living....
  • deal
    deal Posts: 857
    amaferanga wrote:
    stokepa31 wrote:
    Cant help with the cradle but have used the App. FInd it pretty good and it seemed to keep the gps connection even in rural areas. I particularly like the feature to send live ride updates to Twitter. its no Garmin 705 though

Why would it not keep GPS connection in rural areas?

everyone knows they have more satellites in towns and cities :wink:

Being serious for a minute, what's the battery life like when running the app? battery life with moderate use on my iphone 3G is pretty bad, i have to charge the thing every evening. I leave it at home and take a little Sony Ericsson that last about 10 days between charges.
  • Ok Ok im being thick. had it in my tiny mind it was linked to phone signal in some way too ;)

you have to turn of all the power saving features on the iphone so it doesnt auto lock. I put the backlight on minimum too. after a 3 hour ride i used about 50% of the battery which i was quite surprised at. the app does have an auto power down and goes dark after a bit. the thing that really surprised me was that it kept the gps signal yesterday despite being in my tri bag frame thingy with the rain cover over it. very impressed.

it doesnt auto pause like the garmin so your average speed will be crap if you stop for a cuppa and forget to pause it.
    Burning Fat Not Rubber

Scott CR1
    Genesis IO ID
    Moda Canon
  • Check this out.
    Looks good but a bit pricey.
    Went for an Edge 705 myself as worried about the battery life on my iphone.

http://uk.dahon.com/
    Andy