Let's play "The Frames the Same Game!"...

2»

Comments

• Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Grr, mountain bikes since this is the MTB forum ;) As per Splott's first post:

"is easy to notice similarities between many Mtb frames, in fact many are EXACTLY the same, but with diffferent companies names/paint/stickers. "
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    OK then,

Meridia Mission and Carrera LRS 2 :P
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    jstock wrote:
    to be honest any one with a hang up about taiwanese made frames or bikes should stop cycling

Not so - depends on what the hang up is about. If quality, then I'd agree. However, when I spend a lot of money, I'd like to support as local an industry as I can - if that isn't UK, then Europe will do. If I can't do Europe, then US will do. If all else fails, only then will I support the Far East (which has had enough of an economy boost courtesy of the UK this year thanks to the scrappage scheme without me adding to it by buying a Far Eastern bike!).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Merida Mission (latest) is a different design - Carrera LRS is no longer made.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Yep, most frames are made in the Far East. Some are great, some are crap!

The guys at my LBS once showed me an industry catalogue with listings, pictures and specs for 1000's of bike frames. The idea being for designers and manufacturers to choose a frame to fit whatever budget/spec they are going to market to. I don't think you'll find vast differences though in total costs of complete bikes if 10 manufacturers used an identical frame and similar equipment.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Dobbs
    Dobbs Posts: 186
    us lazy brits
    Speak for yourself. I'm not lazy sonny.

My Knolly was made in canada and north america.
    Yes I do place a value in the fact that my money has gone to a company which employs workers with rights who are paid and treated fairly. And Rolf F is spot on!
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    Ok the way this works is the big bike companies design their own frames and then pay someone else to make them. They probably own the tooling for the hydroforming and any cast parts. They then decide who will make the frame for them but the frames remain the property of the big bike comapny. Merida or who ever do not own the Spesh design and will only produce those frames for Spesh.

The confusion comes in with their own in house designed frames. It's these frames that they can sell to who ever they like. Sometimes they will sell under their own brand like Kinesis or Merida, sometime they will sell the frames on to other companies who badge them up as their own.

Big big difference between the two.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Dobbs wrote:
    Yes I do place a value in the fact that my money has gone to a company which employs workers with rights who are paid and treated fairly.

Yeah, that'll teach those bloomin' workers in the thrid world countries! No more bike building, it's back to the brothels and drug running for you! :wink:

But seriously, no-one forces the workers to work for Giant/Merida/whoever. If they don't like it they can quit!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Dobbs wrote:
    Yes I do place a value in the fact that my money has gone to a company which employs workers with rights who are paid and treated fairly. And Rolf F is spot on!

The bike builders are skilled workers doing a high quality job, so they do tend to be treated and paid better than you think. THe cliche of sweatshop workers doesn't always apply just because something is maide in thailand or taiwan. Especially since the bike companies tend to have close connections to the factories they use.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    I never quite understand the old won't buy stuff from sweat shops arguments. Now I'm not condoning them but people wouldn't work there if better paid work was available so take away the sweatshops and people have no employment (in countries with zero welfare states).

As Northwind says many Far East factories are more modern and efficient than European factories.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result