Brakeless Posts: 865
edited April 2010 in Pro race
http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... +SS+JERSEY

Taking pre orders at £80

Why so expensive?

Comments

• Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    Cervelo Test Team jersey is £80 too, not just radioshack.

you can buy a replica for £49.99
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • They are on sale to make a profit. Why make a small profit if they can make a bigger one? I'm guessing that the supplier is setting a high base price and the shops would have to cut into their own profit margin if they want to sell cheaper.
  • Brakeless wrote:

Supplier might be stretched over many businesses wanting the jersey. Those that do get the jersey may as well price them high enough that they only just run out of stock before the next shipment from Italy/China arrives. Just my perspective anyway.

It's not that much more expensive then before - it's just a psychological barrier to £80.
    The British Empire never died, it just moved to the Velodrome
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Sometimes depends on which jersey you go for. For eg, Cervelo do two versions; a replica jersey in 'relaxed fit' for your average plodder/fan (£40-50) and a aero 'race fit' jersey, which is more technical and worn by the TestTeam, which is c£80.

Perhaps this is the same kind of deal.

Personally don't like it anyway - so wouldn't buy it, even if it was £20.
  • Percy Vera
    Percy Vera Posts: 1,103
    Why someone would spend £80 for the privilege of advertising Radioshack, Nissan, Trek etc is beyond me. That goes for any trade team. Trade Team clothing should be subsidised, but the manufacturers would rather screw you - it would be interesting to see how much the Radioshack Jersey (or any trade team one) is in the States?
  • redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    I'm sure they'll be plenty of LA Fanboys willing to stump up the cash.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • I expect half of the cost goes to Livestrong.com.....or maybe Livestrong.org. :wink:
    If red is your colour, BMC is far tastier.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It depends on the kit. I think the Cervelo kit is quite tasteful and handy if you are lucky to ride a Cervelo frame since it's linked to your bike, not some Italian gas operation or Belgian laminate flooring, but taste is a personal thing. I don't know why it's more expensive.

As for Radio Pantry, it's Lance's kit and the substantial following he has will ensure high prices, no?
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I like the Cervelo TestTeam kit, but being lucky enough to ride a Cervelo, I wouldn't feel comfortable in full team livery out on my weekend training rides! I'm not good enough to pull it off, although I did see someone the other day bursting out of a Paolo Bettini (or perhaps it was a Tom Boonen?) QuickStep rainbow jersey, so perhaps I'm being a bit hard on myself?!!

Prof trade team kit is best left to the pros in my view.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    It's because it's the RXL jersey. (Race Extra Light) - Special fabrics - same as what the pros actually wear on the bike.

You can get the same jersey but cheaper at £49: http://www.gbcycles.co.uk/eshop.asp?wci ... +SS+JERSEY

You won't notice the difference.

It's kinda like the difference between the jerseys football players wear on the field and the ones you can buy in the shops. They look the same - but are usually a little different (materials, etc).

But mostly (in this case) it's a Bontrager/Trek marketing/moneymaking thing.

And jerseys are always expensive before they come out. Once they hit the shelves and no one is buying.... then the price drops.
  • I like the Cervelo TestTeam kit, but being lucky enough to ride a Cervelo, I wouldn't feel comfortable in full team livery out on my weekend training rides! I'm not good enough to pull it off, although I did see someone the other day bursting out of a Paolo Bettini (or perhaps it was a Tom Boonen?) QuickStep rainbow jersey, so perhaps I'm being a bit hard on myself?!!

Prof trade team kit is best left to the pros in my view.

I wouldn't worry about being able to pull it off, so many guys I see in pro team kit seem to get a free beer gut with every shirt they buy.

I haven't got any pro kit myself but if I was going to buy some then it would be the Cervelo.
  • GB cycles aren't known for their competitive prices!

Try wiggle it will probably be cheaper there
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm sure there will be versions from China on Ebay shortly. £80 for a jersey is just taking the pee.
  • Its not even a nice kit im my opinion!

Cervelo's kit is by far the best in the pro peloton so if I was going to shell out 80 notes which im not then it would be the Cervelo kit by a mile for me
    Riding wise ive been Making Mediocre cool since 2003.

HIGHLIGHT..Raid Pyrenean 2005!!!

LOWLIGHT..To many to mention!!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Now cheap cervelo kit is on ebay...
  • They've probably seen how much oikball replica shirts costs, work out that the muppets buy two of them (Home & Away) & reckon that they can make a few quid on that show too!
    If they sell enough at £80 a throw, then they're worth £80.
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Bhima
    Bhima Posts: 2,145
    By the looks of it, they'll have to pay ME £80 to wear it. :|
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    i like a lot of the Nike kit but not really a fan of the new Radio Shack kit so not sure I will buy it.

If the started selling Nike shoes again I would be tempted.

Might get the new Astana kit instead I really like that
  • sparky24
    sparky24 Posts: 195
    how come this is not being made by NIKE , as the team has nike plasterd over there kit?
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    edited February 2010
    sparky24 wrote:
    how come this is not being made by NIKE , as the team has nike plasterd over there kit?

Because Bontrager is the jersey supplier. Bontrager is owned by Trek which is probably the second largest sponsor after Radio Shack.

And I don't see the Nike name on the jersey anywhere.

EDIT: The replica jerseys don't seem to have the Nike branding, but the ones the team wears do. Not sure if that's because the team ones are actually made by Nike- or Nike is just a supplementary sponsor- possibly coming on board after the replica jerseys were all put into production?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    I'm sure they'll be plenty of LA Fanboys willing to stump up the cash.

Don't see all that much LA stuff these days. Except for the yellow wrist bands. Back in "the day" of Discovery Channel and Postal it was a fairly common sight to see people riding around in the complete kit(bike and all). Always seemed a little sad to me. But that's just me.
  • sherer
    sherer Posts: 2,460
    Pokerface wrote:
    sparky24 wrote:

Because Bontrager is the jersey supplier. Bontrager is owned by Trek which is probably the second largest sponsor after Radio Shack.

IIRC Nike never made the stuff anyway it was farmed out to Trek \ Bontrager anyway.

When I saw the riders in Algave they had the Nike logo on their jerseys but yes this seems to be missing from the public one. Not sure why as I thouhgt Nike were a backer of the team

With this being Trek \ Nike I don't think this will on wiggle as I didn't think they stock their items.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Pokerface wrote:
    sparky24 wrote:

EDIT: The replica jerseys don't seem to have the Nike branding, but the ones the team wears do. Not sure if that's because the team ones are actually made by Nike- or Nike is just a supplementary sponsor- possibly coming on board after the replica jerseys were all put into production?

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nike were not going to be making cycling gear any more. Which was a pity because their shorts in particular were very good.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Bhima wrote:
    By the looks of it, they'll have to pay ME £80 to wear it. :|

+1

What's happened to Bhima? I keep agreeing with him!?!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I like The Shack kit but wouldn't buy it myself at that price.
  • Nike IS making a version of the Radio Shack jersey. They're still haven't approved the final artwork. It will be coming soon. I will post it when it's sent to me. The quality of the Nike clothing is going to be off the charts with the pieces being made in Italy. They will be made by the same maker who made Nike shorts some time ago.

Thanks,

Doug
    Bicyclinghub
  • Stuey01
    Stuey01 Posts: 1,273
    they have charts for this stuff? :?:
    Not climber, not sprinter, not rouleur
  • Vino2007
    Vino2007 Posts: 340
    Was there any official statement for the reasoning behind Nike's sudden departure from the cycling market? I'd take a guess that it just wasn't as profitable for the time and resources they spent on it.
    Their poggio shoes, thermal gloves and bib tights that i had were fantastic, much better than adidas for the money
  • MrRex
    MrRex Posts: 19
    It's quite simple: Global downturn....increase in people riding bikes and plonkers willing to pay. Most prices for bike bits have gone up by 30 odd % in the last 3 years. It's profiteering.

Saying that, its a faux pas to wear pro team kit for proper cyclists unless you are somehow linked to it.
    I love technology