Radioshack Jersey = Expensive

2»

Comments

• MrRex wrote:
    Saying that, its a faux pas to wear pro team kit for proper cyclists unless you are somehow linked to it.

Does liking the kit count as being linked to them?

And I always thought Nike kit was made by Giordana?
  • Brakeless
    Brakeless Posts: 865
    Saying that, its a faux pas to wear pro team kit for proper cyclists unless you are somehow linked to it.[/quote]

What a load of crap. Anyone can wear what they like. Who makes the rules?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    It does look a bit odd if you have ALL the team kit and you wear it all at once.

I've no problem with anyone wearing top and shorts or yellow jerseys etc - but the socks, shorts, top, mitts cap and matching bike is a lil bit ott - for me anyway.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Brakeless wrote:
    Saying that, its a faux pas to wear pro team kit for proper cyclists unless you are somehow linked to it.

MrRex, with his 13 posts makes the rules and you would do well to obey them.

Personally, I kind of collect them. I prefer the defunct teams. Chateau d'Ax, Z and a rare ONCE black jersey being favourites (bought from eBay, not Prendas). Systeme U is top of the wanted list.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    RichN95 wrote:
    Brakeless wrote:

MrRex, with his 13 posts makes the rules and you would do well to obey them.

Personally, I kind of collect them. I prefer the defunct teams. Chateau d'Ax, Z and a rare ONCE black jersey being favourites (bought from eBay, not Prendas). Systeme U is top of the wanted list.

I have a Histor (Stephen Roche) jersey from 1987. Still fits!
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • garrynolan wrote:

Are you sure? Stephen Roche was riding for Carrera in 1987, he rode for Histor in 1990.

Still, pretty cool it still fits!
  • cougie wrote:
    It does look a bit odd if you have ALL the team kit and you wear it all at once.

I've no problem with anyone wearing top and shorts or yellow jerseys etc - but the socks, shorts, top, mitts cap and matching bike is a lil bit ott - for me anyway.

And can I have a bit of clarification. I have a full 2009 Saxo Bank kit, but my bike is a 2007 Specialized. Is that acceptable?
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    The quality of the Nike clothing is going to be off the charts with the pieces being made in Italy.

Yeah right, Nike kit is rubbish (same goes for Adidas as well) and not just cycling, their rugby kit is pants as well. I know I've made the mistake of buying some of it in the past.

I can't understand why anyone would want a RS jersey it's grim. Suppose if you really want it, you can always wait till its in the bargain bin at the end of the year and pick it up for £25 :lol:
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    I think Nike abandoned the cycling market when LA retired?

There seems little appetite to re-enter the market proper, even though Armsrtong has come back, but as he's closely associated with the swoosh/livestrong, they seem to be re-brading kit, made by other manufacturers. For eg, I think Armstrong is using re-branded Rocket 7 shoes?

Which is a bit weird, as they do make one-off shoes for some high-profile riders - I think Cav wears Nike shoes?

Anyway, personally, whilst their cycling gear looked good, the technical qualities weren't great - short inserts, labels, stitching etc.

I have a pair of Poggio IV ULs, which I still use - they're very nice, super light and look pretty stealthy/understated (which isn't usually Nike's forte!).
  • Nike NEVER have and NEVER will make ANYTHING.

They are a marketing company who rebrand sporting kit. There is NO NIKE factory anywhere in the world.
    Racing is life - everything else is just waiting
  • garrynolan
    garrynolan Posts: 560
    garrynolan wrote:

Are you sure? Stephen Roche was riding for Carrera in 1987, he rode for Histor in 1990.

My mistake - I'll take your word for that :oops: .
    Visit Ireland - all of it! Cycle in Dublin and know fear!!
    exercise.png
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    cougie wrote:
    I'm sure there will be versions from China on Ebay shortly

Sky ones on there now...

anyone taken the plunge with a Chinese E-bay?
  • garrynolan wrote:
    garrynolan wrote:

My mistake - I'll take your word for that :oops: .

Actually, come to think of it, I have a 1991 PDM LS jersey which still fits (just... :D )
  • SunWuKong
    SunWuKong Posts: 364
    I thought DMT made the shoes for Nike (IIRC)?
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Yes, DMT made the Nike shoes. The same company behind Giordana, APG, does the Nike clothing.
  • For the Sky team replica kit, is it going to to be de rigueur to have your own surname up the side panels of the jersey or that of one of the team's riders ?
  • Slow1972
    Slow1972 Posts: 362
    eh wrote:
    Yeah right, Nike kit is rubbish (same goes for Adidas as well) and not just cycling, their rugby kit is pants as well. I know I've made the mistake of buying some of it in the past.

Adidas cycling kit was, as I understand it, made under licence by Mavic up to last year (and just branded adidas), the deal ended when mavic brought out their own range of shoes and clothing.

Adidas licence different manufacturers for different niche markets, so just because (say) the rugby kit is cr@p it has little bearing on wether the cycling gear is or not. FWIW I've had a few pairs of Adidas shorts, bibtights (cheap I'll admit as my Sis works there) and a few pairs of shoes when they were made by Mavic, all lasted and fitted very well.

I understand the rumour is Adidas are moving the cycling gear in house next year as they see it as an expanding market. The Sky kit, whilst branded up as theirs is made by another cycling kit manufacturer.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Slow1972 wrote:

Adidas cycling kit was, as I understand it, made under licence by Mavic up to last year (and just branded adidas), the deal ended when mavic brought out their own range of shoes and clothing.

Adidas licence different manufacturers for different niche markets, so just because (say) the rugby kit is cr@p it has little bearing on wether the cycling gear is or not. FWIW I've had a few pairs of Adidas shorts, bibtights (cheap I'll admit as my Sis works there) and a few pairs of shoes when they were made by Mavic, all lasted and fitted very well.

I understand the rumour is Adidas are moving the cycling gear in house next year as they see it as an expanding market. The Sky kit, whilst branded up as theirs is made by another cycling kit manufacturer.

The same parent company owns both Mavic and Adidas. The current Mavic clothing range is a continuation of the Adidas range but with Mavic branding. They felt, rightly in my opinion, that the Mavic brand was stronger with cyclists than the Adidas one.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    edited March 2010
    andyp wrote:
    The same parent company owns both Mavic and Adidas
    Not so. Mavic is part of Finnish company Amer Sports, http://www.amersports.com/brands/ but Adidas is is Adidas AG.

Adidas did own French ski company Salomon (which owned Mavic) but sold these businesses to Amer in 2004 or 05 I think. So there was a direct link but that's over.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nike NEVER have and NEVER will make ANYTHING.

They are a marketing company who rebrand sporting kit. There is NO NIKE factory anywhere in the world.

You say this like it's either a) unusual or b) surprising?

There are plenty of very similar models.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,477
    Kléber wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    The same parent company owns both Mavic and Adidas
    Not so. Mavic is part of Finnish company Amer Sports, http://www.amersports.com/brands/ but Adidas is is Adidas AG.

Adidas did own French ski company Salomon (which owned Mavic) but sold these businesses to Amer in 2004 or 05 I think. So there was a direct link but that's over.

My mistake, the ranges are near identical, which is understandable as Salomon were making Adidas cycling kit under license;

http://www.roadcyclinguk.com/gear-news/ ... /3393.html
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had some adidas mtb shoes as my winter shoes for over a decade now - they've been good, and I have plenty of their running shorts too - again nice. A lot pricier compared to the aldi stuff though, but slightly better quality.

I have a cervelo winter jacket off ebay - it looks and feels fine but i dont doubt taht the genuine stuff would perform better - so I'm keeping it for the slightly warmer days when I dont need as much protection.

LOL at wearing sky jerseys with our own names down the side !