Shiny bikes legit?

2»

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I've used them once, but never again.

I ordered a replacement RH Apex shifter and was greated with radio silence for two weeks. I tired calling them but no-one would answer and they didn't respond to emails. I eventually got though to someone and was given the usually speil that it had just been dispatched. It hadn't.

I think it eventually took two months for me to get what I'd paid for.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • Bought a groupset from ShinyBikes last year and found the service abysmal. Yes the price was cheaper, though only marginally, than their competitors but it arrived well after the proposed delivery date causing me all kinds of problems. Asked for a refund on the postage, as i had paid for 48hr delivery, the least they could do and only a small gesture cosidering, well you guess the rest....! I will go back to using Merlin who I have always found to be prompt and very competative price wise.
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    If they'd charged my credit card and didn't have the item in stock and weren't forth-coming with an immediate refund I'd be calling my credit card company and complaining - if they get enough issues the CC company will take action which might force shinybikes to act a little more professionally...
  • jimmurray
    jimmurray Posts: 130
    Ordered a set of Open Pave tyres last Thursday for Flanders this Saturday. Still waiting although they were 'dispatched on Monday'. Looks like I'm going to have a bumpy ride.
  • Fipzee
    Fipzee Posts: 1
    I ordered some bib shorts from Shiny Bikes. After 11 days and no sign of the shorts I emailed and tried to call Shiny Bikes numerous times. I could not get through to them on the phone and email got bounced. Raised a claim with Paypal and got my money back within a few days but not a word from Shiny Bikes. I re-ordered with PBK with whom I've never had a problem and the shorts were with me a day later. I've learned my lesson.
  • davesvord
    davesvord Posts: 80
    Avoid. Maybe cheapest if you get your item. I ordered a stem when after 3 weeks it had not arrived I call and was told they would sort it out and get back to me that was a week ago. No replies to emails or messages. Will not use again!
  • As has been said previously, great prices, awful service. Wouldn't use them again.
  • I have just had to open a PayPal dispute with Shiny Bikes, for a pair of Sidi Ergo 3 that failed to arrive, despite assurances from Shiny Bikes that they were sent a week ago.

The package may be lost in the post, and the company may be completely above board; I have no reason to suspect anyone of any wrongdoing. I don't doubt the many that have posted on this thread to say their experience with Shiny Bikes is a positive one. However.... Try ringing them and talking to them before you put your hard-earned cash their way... I've let the phone ring and ring endlessly today, and they simply do not pick up...

Would you feel comfortable spending money with these people?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Oof, hope you get it sorted
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • There are several continental suppliers. I can think of 6 distributor 3 offical 3 not that supply gator skins so you will not know which distributor Shiney deal with.

When I get issues like this for example a cusotmer complained about a faulty mountian king tyre - too much wobble, he returned it, I checked it out and agreed it was not right (even it was not I would not have quibbled as it is not worth it for a tyre) and sent a new one out with a refund for his return postage. I then send it off to the distributor for a credit - come to think of it the distributor has not got back to me.

That is the way good retailers deal with things. There are more out there. I have never dealt with shiney bikes so I cannot comment of their service but quibbling of a gator skin is not worth it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I think the thing that annoyed me the most with Shiny (shity) Bikes is - they sent me the wrong part (I ordered something completely different) and they wouldn't refund the money back to me until I returned the part (OK fair enough) but they refused to pay the return postage (outrageous).
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    I ordered a seatpost from them last Tues, got the email confirming it had been processed on the Wed. Then nothing until yesterday when I had to call back about 20 times as the line was engaged to be told the systems were down.
    I only placed the order as I called ahead first to check it was actually in stock and was ensured they had it after reading this thread. Thankfully it arrived today and delighted as it was significantly cheaper than elsewhere.
  • I ordered a Turbo Trainer on Sunday 06 Oct 2013.....it is now 29 Oct 2013, and guess what.....It hasn't arrived! was fobbed off on 08 Oct 2013 with the excuse that there was a fault with the order system and that they were due in on 15 Oct, would be shipped on 16 Oct 24 hr express service, and guess what.....it hasnt arrived. He told me at one point that parcel had been returned undelivered, that he was going to investigate, and once again ship out. Never happened, however, he did send out a despatch note....to fob me off for a few days with.

The latest is that I have informed my credit card company that I havent received the goods, and that he charged for the item before it was even in stock. I will be claiming a refund under section 75 of the consumer act.

I would advise all to stay clear 'Shiny Bikes', as he does not have a clue about customer service!
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    If they have it in stock all seems to be fine, if not then your toast, unfortunately when you order you have no idea
    will not use them again. Plenty other retailers to chose from.
  • I have a terrible experience.
    They shipped to the wrong address, the item returned to sender, but guess, the sender address was insufficient. The package staied at the courrier depot for 20 days, even with 20 e-mails and phone call to solve the problem.
    At the end, they did not refund my money, about US$ 1,100.
  • mbroady
    mbroady Posts: 63
    I made an order from Shiny Bikes a few weeks ago and didn't receive my order in a few days as is usually expected.

Sent an e-mail asking where my stuff was and they said they were waiting on a delivery, 10 days later no response or anything so I forwarded it to the resolution centre on Paypal, 2 days later still no response so I bumped it up to a claim.

4 days later still haven't heard anything. Seems a bit odd from a mail order, especially to be ignoring Paypal as I'm sure that could hinder their business in the long run. I'm not hugely concerned because if they don't respond in 10 days Paypal will automatically refund me and the order was made on my credit card so I could claim in that way but it's just a bit disappointing due to the lack of response over 3 weeks from themselves.
  • ben@31
    ben@31 Posts: 2,327
    When I looked at their website it did not look right, with its fuzzy photos in the wrong resolution and accepting various different currencies set alarm bells ringing. I initially thought they were some dodgy Chinese fake shop.

I eventually found their address on their website.

Put it into Google Maps and its not even a shop but some lock-up on a trading estate in Antrim. One one Google Maps photo theres even a raging fire in the background. Doesn't look like a nice professional outfit.

Also a lot of horror stories on other forums. One or two p*ssed customers I'd accept, but not when it's complaint after complaint of customers paying and then goods not turning up...

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/hot-de ... 09453.html

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... ing/page/2
    "The Prince of Wales is now the King of France" - Calton Kirby