Shiny bikes legit?

blakef111
blakef111 Posts: 374
edited October 2014 in Road buying advice
Alright fellows, I am about to order my new saddle and I was wondering if shinybikes.com are actually legit? I'm looking for a nice cheap selle italia turbo, and judging by the going rate Im wondering if this is too cheap? http://www.shinybikes.com/bikes/selle-i ... addle.html many thanks guys

Comments

• Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    I've bought from them before.Bit of a delay getting the item so phoned them&it was sorted.So yes they are legit.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I've used them, they're fine. I've even heard of aussies ordering groupsets off them and it all arriving fine.
  • Yay cheap saddle next week then! Cheers for the help
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I had a nightmare experience with them. I bought a set of Zipp 303s from them. They didn't arrive when they were supposed to, some of the order was missing, and I never got my refund (small but on principle.....).

Then when I contacted them all I got was an insincere apology.

Never gonna use em again
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    stuff arrived no probs......but the quoted prices were ex vat - and even on the phone he didn't mention the VAT - I was only spending £50 - so it wasn't a big deal..........put me off though
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    I have bought from them - no probs with delivery. Helpful after-sales too.
  • nicensleazy
    nicensleazy Posts: 2,310
    Yep, I bought my super record 11 groupset from them.
  • cal_stewart
    cal_stewart Posts: 1,840
    got my speedplays from them no probs
    eating parmos since 1981

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Aero 09
    Cervelo P5 EPS
    www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=40044&t=13038799
  • chris1001
    chris1001 Posts: 58
    I'm currently having a bit of a nightmare with Shinybikes.com, initially they delayed sending the order due to 'bank checks on my card/address' (I use the same card all the time elsewhere and bever have problems). Then the parcel gets "lost in the post", they wont refund but have said they'll send another one out. Its a £130 saddle sent using a non insured or tracked service, however the website indicated that they'd use Parcel force. Promises to call me back came to nothing, I've had to do all the chasing. Looking through other forums I've come to realise that many people are haivng problems with this company, so beware, pay the little extra and go elsewhere.
  • Twilheimer
    Twilheimer Posts: 189
    I ordered some pro-lite wheels, they were ordered saturday, 2 day delivery supposedly, ended up ringing them on wednesday 'oh theres been a delay, they'l be there monday. Wow. 8 days to wait. Wont use them again,only saved a 5er.
  • Bought three Michelin Pro Race 3's on 8/11/10 for £23.73 each including postage and they were delivered the next day. Best price I could find after a lot of searching.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    My handlebars went missing (Parcelforce's fault) but good service recovery, nice to deal with over the phone.
  • I've used Shinybikes for my last 2 groupsets - great service next day delivery and best prices I could find.
  • richtw
    richtw Posts: 118
    I used them for a Super Record 11 Groupset and when it turned up it had a 2009 rear casette, phoned them to be told the rear casette is still identical and not to worry!

Spoke to the importers who informed me the 2011 casette is indeed different and they have not had any 2009/ 2010 for about 6 months.... never chased it down further than that but unlikely to use them again as I felt a bit let down tbh.
  • KH678
    KH678 Posts: 6
    Ordered a groupset online last year phoned to ask if it was in stock and paid by credit card. Two weeks later phoned and was told there was no stock,no apology.

To many good online retailers to be buying from Shinybikes.
  • Richtw wrote:
    I used them for a Super Record 11 Groupset and when it turned up it had a 2009 rear casette, phoned them to be told the rear casette is still identical and not to worry!

Spoke to the importers who informed me the 2011 casette is indeed different and they have not had any 2009/ 2010 for about 6 months.... never chased it down further than that but unlikely to use them again as I felt a bit let down tbh.

Dear Richtw

Further to your comments regarding the cassette supplied as part of your 2011 Super Record Groupset.

We can confirm that there has been no model change for the 2011 cassettes for Super Record, Record and Chorus. The cassettes remain unchanged and are the same model as the 2010 version. At present through the UK importers the cassettes are still coming through in the 2010 design boxes eventually this will change to the new logo’d boxes, however the cassettes are exactly the same.

The only changes to the cassettes for the 2011 range have been to the Centaur and Veloce Models.

Both the UK Importers and Campagnolo Italy have confirmed this.

If you feel you need further confirmation Campagnolo have a contact us form where you will be able to have this information verified.

Kind Regards
    Shinybikes
  • GordonH
    GordonH Posts: 58
    Ordered a Kask K10 helmet from them - it took a week to arrive, but that's O.K. Would :) use them again... :)
  • NP28
    NP28 Posts: 5
    Just wanted to warn everyone about Shiny Bikes.

I bought a pair of Gatorskin tyres from them in April and one developed a large split in the sidewall after four rides. It was big enough for a large portion of the inner tube to start spilling out of the tyre.

So I sent the tyre back and I was told that this was not eligible for a refund/replacement as it was cut by an object whilst cycling and was part of normal wear and tear.

I disputed this – as the gash was in such a position that it was impossible for me to ride at such an angle that would allow a sharp object to go through the tyre in that position. In addition, for an object to be sharp enough to have caused a gash that large it would certainly have punctured the inner tube within the tyre, which had not happened.

As we could not agree they said they would send the tyre back to their supplier for a second opinion and get back to me. They never did. During the next month I called them 8 times and the line was engaged or the phone was not picked up. I also e-mailed them 3 times. No reply.

I eventually contacted their supplier myself and they told me they had NOT received a tyre from Shiny Bikes. So basically for over a month I have had no idea who has the faulty tyre and Shiny Bikes are deliberately ignoring me.

In the end I was able to get my money back from my credit card company. But if anyone is thinking of using shinybikes.com, be careful, if anything goes wrong they may try and scam you and ignore you too.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    FFS

One post on one thread is enough.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Herbsman wrote:
    FFS

One post on one thread is enough.

Indeed.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    I just wanted to warn everyone that i've used them a few times and they've been just fine.

Just sayin, but on the internetz there's always someone with a horror story about almost everything you can buy from just about everywhere that sells things.
  • Interesting, thought I would update this old thread, hang around here but never posted, thought bout time :D
    I dont really trust any online retailer, so visited warehouse to collect a frame (my hubby is 'trying' to build me a new steed) anyway called in to pick up a headset and the frame. Does what it says on the tin, large warehouse with no signs up outside so tricky to find. Once inside it is an Aladins cave with loads of boxes on shelves and trade counter. No bling showroom but prices you cannot beat. Staff were friendly too, even gave us a cup of tea!!
    BTW spent WAY too much tooooo tempting.
    Shaz
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Interesting, thought I would update this old thread, hang around here but never posted, thought bout time :D
    I dont really trust any online retailer, so visited warehouse to collect a frame (my hubby is 'trying' to build me a new steed) anyway called in to pick up a headset and the frame. Does what it says on the tin, large warehouse with no signs up outside so tricky to find. Once inside it is an Aladins cave with loads of boxes on shelves and trade counter. No bling showroom but prices you cannot beat. Staff were friendly too, even gave us a cup of tea!!
    BTW spent WAY too much tooooo tempting.
    Shaz

That doesn't count as you could see what you were getting and they could feck it up!
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • nicknick
    nicknick Posts: 535
    Seems to be that Shiny Bikes are ok if they have the stuff in stock. But they don't show whether the items are in stock are not, and from my experience when you place an order and the item isn't available they don't contact you to let you know what's going on. That's not really acceptable nowadays so I wouldn't bother ordering from them again!
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Ordered 4 tyres yesterday at 2pm. Arrived this morning at 8.15am. Wasn't even in a hurry for them. But very impressed with the speed of the turnaround.
  • geebee2
    geebee2 Posts: 248
    I bought my SRAM Force groupset from them - no problem. They are certainly legit.
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    I bought a groupset from them - great price -awful service, the worse I have ever experienced. I even did a post on my blog about them.

http://ukmambo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/c ... nline.html

read if interested. Basically you pay less but run a real risk of poor service - for me I have never gone back to them even when they are the cheapest.
  • d3mje
    d3mje Posts: 1
    Made my first purchase from Shiny Bikes last week. Great prices, but communications are atrocious!
    As I'd heard nothing for a few days, sent them a very polite email requesting a status update on my order, received this in reply

"This has been shipped today"

...that was it, no regards, thanks for your order, politeness, KMA,...

Just left wondering if I hadn't emailed them, how long would it have been before they sent my goods.

Looks like their customer feedback is a little too one-sided as-well!!

In future, I'll stick with my favourite and well tried and trusted suppliers, even if they're not always the cheapest; at least I'm made to feel like a valued customer and I do always receive order updates.
  • I use them several times a year since 2009 (I think!) for everything from groupsets to lights and on the whole the have been great. Had one instance of a handle bar size issue but got a prompt refund so can't complain (No worse than any other company). The prices are usually the best, especially for Campagnolo.

The emails can be a bit terse but at least they always reply!
  • gaitero
    gaitero Posts: 1
    Legit? Maybe. Ethical and professional? No, not in my opinion.

Ordered a pair of cycling gloves for my wife's birthday at the beginning of March 2013 as they were the best price at the time. 4 weeks later nothing. Called them, to find that although they charged my card, they did not have the item in stock and did not know if and when they would. No apology. No offer of refund. Offered ridiculous substitutes that were just not appropriate. Customer Service skills absolutely zero. Pressed for refund which after much argy-bargy they reluctantly agreed but it still hasn't showed up so I don't think I have heard the last of this. I won't do business with them again, and although some people plainly have got the gear they ordered. Plenty of people have not. Why would you risk your money with what are plainly a bunch of cowboys? :evil: