Indicating at roundabouts?

Kiblams
Kiblams Posts: 2,423
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I am not sure what peoples opinions will be on this one... but I have started to question whether not indicating to go straight over a roundabout is a viable these days as roundabouts become bigger and taller (foliage, statues or road signs).

So what do you think? should the rules be changed to require cars to indicate before exitting a roundabout even if they are going straight over?

(Note: this probably isn't an issue with painted roundabouts)

Comments

• will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    I thought you were always supposed to indicate left once you'd passed the exit prior to the one you're taking. :?
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    edited February 2010
    So did I. And I do (EDIT - did I mean - when I used to drive)
  • I haven't checked the highway code on this, but I seem to recall from my driving lessons/test (albeit 10 years ago) that you are meant to indicate left to leave a roundabout, even if you're going straight over.

So, if you're going left, you indicate left from approaching all the way to leaving, if you're going straight over you don't indicate until you've passed the first exit, then you start indicating left, and if you're going right you indicate right until you've passed the second exit, then start indicating left.

Whether or not this is actually the case, I'm not sure, but I indicate like this in a car and on a bike.

On bigger roundabouts I also indicate to change lanes.

I do a lot of indicating! :D

EDIT: the above is a much more succinct way to describe it! :lol:
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    You are supposed to indicate your intention to leave the roundabout. Although some of those mini roundabouts are too darn small to do so after you've passed the exit before you're taking and the exit you're taking.
  • Kiblams
    I have had ALOT of instances recently where drivers have not indicated at all at a reasonably sized roundabout when going straight accross...

Just bad drivers then? :shock:
  • Kiblams wrote:
    I have had ALOT of instances recently where drivers have not indicated at all at a reasonably sized roundabout when going straight accross...

Yep!

Also, a friend who's 7 years older than me maintains that he wasn't taught to indicate like this at roundabouts, so it could have been a more recent development.

I mean, how many drivers re-read the highway code after they've passed their tests?
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Kiblams wrote:

Yep!

Also, a friend who's 7 years older than me maintains that he wasn't taught to indicate like this at roundabouts, so it could have been a more recent development.

I mean, how many drivers re-read the highway code after they've passed their tests?
    My mother (who passed her test in the early 70s) says she was taught to indicate.
  • Porgy
    suzyb wrote:
    My mother (who passed her test in the early 70s) says she was taught to indicate.

I learnt in the late 80s and I'm pretty sure that it was the case when I took my test - at least it's something I've always done as a driver.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    edited February 2010
    will3 wrote:
    I thought you were always supposed to indicate left once you'd passed the exit prior to the one you're taking. :?

This

going straight on you don't have to indicate on entering the roundabout.. from memory

I did a motorcycle test about 3 years ago if that helps
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • suzyb wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

Yep!

Interesting! Clearly my friend is lying!
  • My mum learned in the 80s, and she was told to indicate at all times when she changed direction.

I learned about 8 years ago, and was told only if there is someone who may be affected by your change, to the point where if I indicated but there was nobody around to see it could be a minor on my test.

indicating at all times seems much safer to me.
  • risi
    risi Posts: 231
    It's all here folks:

Signals and position.

When taking the first exit to the left, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal left and approach in the left-hand lane
    * keep to the left on the roundabout and continue signalling left to leave

When taking an exit to the right or going full circle, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* signal right and approach in the right-hand lane
    * keep to the right on the roundabout until you need to change lanes to exit the roundabout
    * signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise

* select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
    * you should not normally need to signal on approach
    * stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    * signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.
    Specialized Allez
    Trek 6500
  • fnegroni
    fnegroni Posts: 794
    I particularly like:

In all cases watch out for and give plenty of room to

* cyclists and horse riders who may stay in the left-hand lane and signal right if they intend to continue round the roundabout. Allow them to do so

Of course, I don't trust anyone doing that, so when going straight over or right, I just take primary in the lane, and often actually stay close to the roundabout, giving plenty of space to motorists who for some reason didn't see me.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Kiblams wrote:
    should the rules be changed to require cars to indicate before exitting a roundabout even if they are going straight over?

As noted, they don't need to be changed as that's already what should happen.

I'm in a minority of drivers, it seems, as I indicate even when going straight on at mini roundabouts, while most people seem to just drive straight over them (often literally).
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • Porgy
    Agent57 wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:
    should the rules be changed to require cars to indicate before exitting a roundabout even if they are going straight over?

I'm in a minority of drivers, it seems, as I indicate even when going straight on at mini roundabouts, while most people seem to just drive straight over them (often literally).

What do you indicate when you go straight on - there's no straight on indicator as far as i'm aware. :?:
  • Eau Rouge
    Eau Rouge Posts: 1,118
    I drive a BMW so naturally I don't indicate on roundabouts. Well, I do, but I treat the roundabout as if it wasn't there and indicate as if it was any other junction. As a driver I've never really seen the point of indicating on roundabouts. Usually it's entirely irrelevent to me, the driver waiting to enter the roundabout, what the cars on it are indicating as I don't drive in front of cars who have right of way, and no flashy orange light will change that. Instead I find the indicator actually confuses the issue, they indicate one thing which may or may not have been true at some previous point, but then go somewhere I shouldn't expect them to.

Far better to look at their wheels and speed to figure out where they are going. It takes less time, is more trustworthy, and you shouldn't drive in front of a car (or bike) just because you think it's indicating to turn off the road before it gets to you anyway. One lucky escape with a bus sealed that for me.
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    Far better to look at their wheels

Good luck with that. It's gonna work real well in the dark!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • Dudu
    Dudu Posts: 4,637
    The answer is to ride round roundabouts faster than the cars, as I always do. It's not difficult. Then no one needs to indicate (and I'm b*ggered if I'm going to try to steer, brake, change gear and indicate all at the same time, anyway).
    There are a couple of huge roundabouts I used to have to tackle on my ride back to chislehurst and the only way to tell if it was safe to join was from who was indicating to turn left and who wasn't...as there was never a big enough break in the traffic.

Only trouble was the number of cars who would turn left not indicating - meant would be sitting there for several minutes sometimes and missed many opportunities to enter the roundabout.

And many drivers who do not indicate have even worse lane discipline - so it's nigh on impossible to tell what they're about to do - especially in the dark as someone pointed out.
  • Porgy
    Dudu wrote:
    The answer is to ride round roundabouts faster than the cars, as I always do. It's not difficult. Then no one needs to indicate (and I'm b*ggered if I'm going to try to steer, brake, change gear and indicate all at the same time, anyway).

that's OK if you don;t have one of those mega ones where the cars barely slow down anyway - and impossible if you have to do it from a standing start.

It would be better if everyone just obeyed the quite simple rules laid out in the highway code.

btw- I don;t really have problems with roundabouts generally - but do find some drivers' behaviour quite hair-raising at times.
  • Porgy
    Dudu wrote:

I'm autistic and I can do all that. It's not difficult.
  • Eau Rouge
    DesWeller wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

You know, I can't think of a roundabout that either doesn't have lights on it or is so busy that you're going to find more than two other cars on it at most anyway. I suppose there must be such a roundabout somewhere. It's worked real well for over the past 10 years of driving though, and I've been around a lot of roundabouts.
  • Porgy
    when there's a solid mass of cars - four lanes worth - constantly moving on a massive roundabout - I defy anyone to predict what the cars are going to do from their bleeding wheels!
  • Kiblams
    Porgy wrote:
    Only trouble was the number of cars who would turn left not indicating - meant would be sitting there for several minutes sometimes and missed many opportunities to enter the roundabout.

This is the exact reason I asked the original question :D Thanks Porgy, it's good to know I am not alone in the frustration of lazy drivers
  • Eau Rouge
    Porgy wrote:
    when there's a solid mass of cars - four lanes worth - constantly moving on a massive roundabout - I defy anyone to predict what the cars are going to do from their bleeding wheels!

It's not hard to tell where a car is going by it's attitude and speed, even on a roundabout in heavy traffic. It's far safer than relying on indicators, even if the indicators are being used properly they will still confuse.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Kiblams wrote:

Yep!

i was taught same as you LiT, 24 years ago!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Porgy wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

What do you indicate when you go straight on - there's no straight on indicator as far as i'm aware. :?:

I indicate left, as exiting the roundabout. Even mini roundabouts are roundabouts as far as I can see.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mean, how many drivers re-read the highway code after they've passed their tests?

Clearly not the 'professional' First Bus drivers in Leeds who seem to think it is OK to veer into an occupied (by me!) cycle lane without checking their mirrors or even indicating.

Still, that's what happens if you run recruitment campaigns in special needs classes. :roll:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

You know, I can't think of a roundabout that either doesn't have lights on it or is so busy that you're going to find more than two other cars on it at most anyway. I suppose there must be such a roundabout somewhere. It's worked real well for over the past 10 years of driving though, and I've been around a lot of roundabouts.

Motorway intersection?
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • RedJohn
    RedJohn Posts: 272
    DesWeller wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:
    DesWeller wrote:
    Eau Rouge wrote:

Motorway intersection?
    Always found them a bit hairy on a bike at night, right enough :)