Rapha

amochrie
amochrie Posts: 73
edited March 2010 in Road buying advice
I m about to buy the Rapha Country jersey and arm warmers...my question is, does anyone know if Rapha gear fits small or large (or heaven forbid, as it says on the guidelines.)....Im 6ft 4in so usually buy large gear but I've heard lots of cycling brands tend to fit small (Italianesque).

Oh, and does anyone own this gear, if so is it any good?

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    amochrie wrote:
    I m about to buy the Rapha Country jersey and arm warmers...my question is, does anyone know if Rapha gear fits small or large (or heaven forbid, as it says on the guidelines.)....Im 6ft 4in so usually buy large gear but I've heard lots of cycling brands tend to fit small (Italianesque).

Oh, and does anyone own this gear, if so is it any good?

Rapha is 'normal'...

I wear Large T-Shirts and tops and I'm a Large in Rapha...

The jerseys are fab!
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I find the sizing guide is prety accurate.

I take size 5 in most stuff and a large in Rapha.

I have quite a bit if their stuff and it does perform well.
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    40" chest = large
  • DaSy
    DaSy Posts: 599
    Have any of you noticed that Rapha sizes seem to have become bigger for the stated size since they made it big in the US of A?

I'm a mildly obsessive Rapha buyer/owner, and noticed that the 3 jerseys that I bought about 2 or 3 years ago fitted me nice and snugly in size Large (I'm a 40" chest, 6' 1"). The jerseys I have bought in the last year to eighteen months have been much bigger and fitted looser in general. I ended up sending one back and getting a Medium which fitted much better.

I actually measured them from armpit to armpit and the new Large was about 3cm wider than the old one.
    Complicating matters since 1965
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I think it could be to do with their manufacturers. I assume, like many other businesses, they switch suppliers every now and then. Particularly as they are growing and can negotiate lower costs with bigger suppliers. I've got two pairs of the fixed shorts, one fits perfectly, the other pair (bought 18 months after the first) are decidedly loose fit.
  • DaSy
    I'd put it down to the fact that the Americans tend to like to have everything twice as large for the same labelled size, to make them feel slimmer...
  • I'm sorry but £125 for a friggin cycling jersey? Rapha can go do one - I don't care if it's made from the fleece of a unicorn. I'll stick to DHB thanks very much.
  • DaSy
    Unicorn fleece is good insulation but lacks the wicking properties of merino.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Westerberg wrote:
    I'm sorry but £125 for a friggin cycling jersey? Rapha can go do one - I don't care if it's made from the fleece of a unicorn. I'll stick to DHB thanks very much.

The thing is you don't stick to Rapha jersies, the material glides, nay, cossetts your flesh whereas the DHB ones may be polyster based hence the adhesion problem you mention :wink:
    M.Rushton
  • APIII
    I must admit I'm disappointed in the low level of vitriol generated by this Rapha thread thus far. Are the main protagonists suffering burnout or something?
  • DaSy
    I think Jezmo's reappearance has drawn the fire...
  • mrushton
    APIII wrote:
    I must admit I'm disappointed in the low level of vitriol generated by this Rapha thread thus far. Are the main protagonists suffering burnout or something?

Surely there can't be anything left for the detractors to say altho' if Rapha could persuade Armstrong to wear their kit that might really generate some posting
    M.Rushton
  • DaSy
    I hate to say this but he does mrushton -

Lance, sporting the Rapha Bomber Jacket.

Lance2.jpg
  • mrushton
    Excellent! Now we just need the Lance tribute jersey from Rapha
    M.Rushton
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Anybody want to buy my Rapha jersey then? :wink:
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Westerberg wrote:
    I'm sorry but £125 for a friggin cycling jersey? Rapha can go do one - I don't care if it's made from the fleece of a unicorn. I'll stick to DHB thanks very much.

Stick to DHB, it's about as good as the Aldi stuff! My Rapha kit gets used, the DHB stuff was used once and never again.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    The money wouldn't put me off, but the fact that you can't get blue arm warmers to match the navy version would ...... so to 'make' it into a long sleeve jersey, it's black or erm .... black!
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    RAPHA: Really Absurdly Price Hyped (cycling) Apparel
  • “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” Aldo Gucci
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • APIII
    tenor wrote:
    RAPHA: Really Absurdly Price Hyped (cycling) Apparel

2/10. Must try harder
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    arnie-77 wrote:
    “The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” Aldo Gucci
    He would say that wouldn't he? :o
    "The money we make from the colossal premium we can charge the suckers is in our bank account long after the debatably superior quality has faded from memory"
  • The thing that makes me laugh about the Rapha rage is that you don't have to buy it, why do people get so worked up about it? - and its always about how much it costs.

You know you can buy clothes from Primark or you can go shopping in Bond Street - its really down to personal choice.

I'm really pleased that there are options such as Rapha to broaden the choice, why not have high end clothing to go with high end bikes?
    "Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving." A. Einstein
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Well said arnie! How many times do you see people applauded for spending thousands on a new bike on this forum, but dare to mention you like a jersy costing £100 and you get pilloried like a kiddy fiddler!!

I have a few Rapha garments, just as I have a few DHB items. The Rapha stuff looks and feels great, washes well and has been really robust, surviving a couple of crashes this winter. The DHB gear is fine for it's price, but is less well fitting. To a degree you get what you pay for, but it's all about personal choice is it not?
  • Oh dear people slagging off Rapha

YAWN!
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    YMCA

I just think it is very affected. I prefer Assos. Its a coke / pepsi thing.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Scrumple wrote:
    YMCA

No it isn't. I like Rapha and Assos.

I like Coca Cola but hate Pepsi!
  • lfcquin
    lfcquin Posts: 470
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Scrumple wrote:
    YMCA

No it isn't. I like Rapha and Assos.

I like Coca Cola but hate Pepsi!

I like Coke & Pepsi, does that make me weird? Couldn't care less on the Rapha debate, if you like it and can afford it and want it then get it. Who cares.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Don't like coke or pepsi, but like rapha and assos. Can't really afford either, but have saved as I have lusted over a rapha jacket for a while. Yes, you pay a premium, yes cheaper brands would do a similar job, but as people have said - Dura Ace is probably wasted on most people here and 105 will do the job - but if you have the choice and can afford it....
  • akkers
    akkers Posts: 140
    I use both, and the feel and quality is second to none - you do get what you pay for.

Dont slate these brands just cos you dont have em.........other dont slate DHB/Aldi when wearing Assos/Rapha do they?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    My money my choice. :roll: Liked Assos bib tights...bought them...liked Rapha jersey...bought it....liked DHB bike box...bought it

Snobs, both regular and inverted are a pain in the arse.