Tour of Oman Stage 4 ***SPOILER***

Kléber
Kléber Posts: 6,842
edited February 2010 in Pro race
Columbia's Leigh Howard wins, ahead of Bennati and Farrar. Howard is an Aussie with a background on the track, being the 2009 Omnium* world champion.

Boassen-Hagen was dropped in the crosswinds and loses the yellow jersey, once again putting Brailsford's job under increasing pressure!!!!!

Comments

• greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    Team Sky + wind = bad combination just now.

They seem to be lacking a few Spartacus-esque powerhouses who can close gaps before they become terminal.

Still, EBH is still really a beginner at this thing, so it's all part of the experience. Pity that's two jerseys blown on the bounce though...
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    EBH is one of the strongest riders in the cross winds.

Isn't he?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    edited February 2010
    Twice in two weeks. That is not good. Sort it out EBH.

Seriously, why isn't the GC leader near the front all the time and why doesn't he have his guys around him?!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    How many top 3's has Farrar had already this year?!
  • According to Bennati, EBH was attending a call of nature when the break happened

http://www.cyclingnews.com/races/1st-to ... -4/results
  • “Sky had the jersey and it was their responsibility to chase the break they had let go. Racing is racing but perhaps it wasn't fair they attacked when Boasson Hagen stopped for a leak."

Oh dear
  • Kléber
    afx237vi wrote:
    Vaughters has already said he's planning on resurrecting the "virgin sacrifice" programme that delivered so many results last autumn.
  • According to Bennati, EBH was attending a call of nature when the break happened

Good to hear.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • De Jongh:

''Sometimes you better say nothing.''

Hunter:

''So another good day in the office.group split in the cross wind & sky 2 races in a row messed up with the yellow jersey.I'm feeling good:)''
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    Hunter is an idiot. It takes a certain person to find pleasure in others misfortune. It is not as though Garmin have been successful so far this season. Maybe when they overtake sky's win total Hunter can shoot his mouth off.
  • Kléber
    Hunter rules himself out of a job with Sky :lol:

But the fact that other teams rode to put pressure on Sky shows there's little love for the new team, Sky seems to have few favours to call in.
  • afx237vi
    To be fair to Hunter, the "sky 2 races in a row messed up with the yellow jersey" part and the "I'm feeling good" part are not necessarily connected. If you take them as two separate clauses, they're both true.

I don't think he's saying he's feeling good because Sky messed up.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Riding off when the Yellow jersey is having a wee is well bad form. Wonder which team put the hammer down?

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    calvjones wrote:
    Riding off when the Yellow jersey is having a wee is well bad form. Wonder which team put the hammer down?

It depends when it happened, though, no? If he stopped to take a leak in the final 20-30 km, then it's his fault.
  • iainf72
    Is Benna saying Sky shirked on their duty at yellow jersey holder *again*?

I reckon Rendell is right about EBH having a problem with wind. Right, quiet in the back.
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    iainf72 wrote:
    Is Benna saying Sky shirked on their duty at yellow jersey holder *again*?

I reckon Rendell is right about EBH having a problem with wind. Right, quiet in the back.

It's fart oo early to say for sure.
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • Kléber wrote:
    But the fact that other teams rode to put pressure on Sky shows there's little love for the new team, Sky seems to have few favours to call in.

but Bradley Wiggins has already dismissed claim that pro cycling hates Team Sky :lol:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/fe ... mid=271566
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    in order to stop this happening again i recommend urinating heavily, clumsily and lavishly right in the middle of the peleton.
    in fact didnt lemond once 5hit himself rather than stop. 1990 tdf iirc
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    afx237vi wrote:

still looking for a extra gear though...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • The break occured when EBH was taking a leak with 50km to go according to Hayman.

That's out of order really.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,860
    According to Bennati, EBH was attending a call of nature when the break happened

thats not on.... did someone have a word?

who was "they" that attacked?

OTOH

if sky develop a reputation for not being able to handle the cross winds it invites repeated attacks.... hard road ahead
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

thats not on.... did someone have a word?

who was "they" that attacked?

OTOH

if sky develop a reputation for not being able to handle the cross winds it invites repeated attacks.... hard road ahead

Judging from the final results it could have been either Columbia, Cervelo, Garmin, Saxo Bank or Quick Step who instigated the initial attack.
  • How else are they going to beat this Champion other than underhand tactics!

Still I think with 50km to go you shouldn't be stopping. In Tour stages, the lead out train for the big guns will already be forming. If you need to go, then hold it for an hour.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Kléber
    Spending a penny can cost you thousands in lost prize money and tends of thousands in lost prize money

:idea:

It's time for Dave "marginal gains" Brailsford to invent a lightweight colostromy bag. A sort of Camelbak in reverse if you like. Of failing that, an absorbent chamois pad.
  • Maybe taking a leak was a "marginal gain" he was talking about. It all reduces weight for the sprint.
  • The break occured when EBH was taking a leak with 50km to go according to Hayman.

so is poaching under contract riders from other teams. Payback time :lol:
    interview.cyclingfever.com
  • BdeB
    BdeB Posts: 110
    Manuel Quinziato on Twitter 'We arrived in 34. I was in the first group but I'm sorry they have attaked when Hagen stopped to pis. Not fair. Also cause he's a good guy!'
  • maltiv
    maltiv Posts: 34
    lucybears wrote:
    The break occured when EBH was taking a leak with 50km to go according to Hayman.

so is poaching under contract riders from other teams. Payback time :lol:
    Uhm yea, but it is not like EBH had anything to do with that. Had it been Wiggins taking a pee, I'd understand it if Garmin attacked (in fact, that would just be deserved). This, however, was just pathetic.

Congratulations to Cancellara for his "great" overall victory...
  • iainf72
    How else are they going to beat this Champion other than underhand tactics!

I don't know. Get a minor cross wind?

EBH is talented but forgodsakes, get a grip.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,154
    maltiv wrote:
    Uhm yea, but it is not like EBH had anything to do with that. Had it been Wiggins taking a pee, I'd understand it if Garmin attacked (in fact, that would just be deserved). This, however, was just pathetic.

According to Cycling News it was Cervelo who upped the pace - a result of general schoolboy squabbling throughout the day.

(Of course Cervelo may have intended to ride there anyway - they've done it before. And if you go for a pee with 50k to go then you're just asking for trouble).
    Twitter: @RichN95