hope doctor vs star nut

2»

Comments

• nicklouse wrote:
    hope headset, especially if using carbon steerer. mine has been fit and forget for 5 years.

what has that got to do with the question?

My apologies, I meant head doctor, mine just happens to be used with a hope headset.

and no hammer needed.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    While I accept the evidence that SFN works and I also accept that it isn't an always on item (the stem clamping the steerer, with SFN only being properly used for pre-load) I still don't like it ... it's just not a proper fixing. As a fixing method, there's no way I would have got it passed the guys who used to check our calcs for construction work (at least not without an ars3 load of testing and a 300 page installation manual). it just seems to be a dirty way of doing the job.

..... so I use a Head doctor, even though they're heavier more complicated, more expensive and the evidence says I don't need to. shrug.

I can't ride a lefty either and that *is* structurally justifiable on paper. I just feel like I'm going to fall off all the time, watching the wheel exiting stage right as my face hits the trail.

must be something in my brain.

once you tighten the bolts on the stem to the steerer...all the hope thing is doing is preloading the bearings as well...

in fact...once i have done that, I usually back off my top cap bolt a little....because that bolt is no longer doing anything!

its the engineer in me..... :wink:
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Kiblams wrote:

:lol: On the bike I had stolen,

Admitting to being a bike thief on bike forum? You should have stolen a bike more suited to your forks.

You joking?

Just in case, it was Kiblams' bike that was stolen...by somebody else. Although he does make it sound like he 'had it stolen' for an insurance scam......just taken out a large policy had you Kiblams? :lol:
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • bails87 wrote:
    Kiblams wrote:

:lol: On the bike I had stolen,

Admitting to being a bike thief on bike forum? You should have stolen a bike more suited to your forks.

You joking?

Just in case, it was Kiblams' bike that was stolen...by somebody else. Although he does make it sound like he 'had it stolen' for an insurance scam......just taken out a large policy had you Kiblams? :lol:

t'was a joke, sorry was it a recent event...feel kinda bad now... :oops:
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    No worries MacAndCheese it was recent yeah, I regret the frame going, but the rest of the bike was a mess if I am honest!

And I am not sure £300 is really worth the effort bails :wink: All I have ended up with is a mountain bike (Trek 3700) which is niether suited to singletrack or my commute and is currently rusting in my cellar :cry:
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If you are worried about installing an SFN, buy a setter. Can get one for about 6 quid. Or even make one.
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    how can you foook up instaling sfn they easy to install.. i do have a setter tool though,,

if you change forks then why not have a sfn in each set of forks, and you don't need to remove anything...
    i have both sfn and hhd i decided to leave the hd in my talas r when i fitted the marzocchis to my pace and use the sfn that was already in them....
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Hope Hed Doctor

I use it because it works

and as a bonus it annoys people
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    and as a bonus it annoys people

Haha, I like that!