Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

hope doctor vs star nut

mkfmkf Posts: 242
edited February 2010 in MTB general
which ones best boys and girls
«1

Posts

  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    SFN
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • AndyAndy Posts: 8,207
    nicklouse wrote:
    SFN
  • nicklouse wrote:
    SFN
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    SFN, it just works. Hope thing if you can't work a hammer.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • lol...you still need a hammer for the hope thing!
  • hope headset, especially if using carbon steerer. mine has been fit and forget for 5 years.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    hope headset, especially if using carbon steerer. mine has been fit and forget for 5 years.

    what has that got to do with the question?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mrfmilomrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    SFN
  • DanlubeDanlube Posts: 454
    I like the idea of the Hope, I use two...one on the Stinky and one on the Shred, never ever had a problem with them (If you know how to fit them properly, they work well) Use a SFN on the Phase. Both got pros n cons. Prefer the Hope myself.
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • Danlube wrote:
    I like the idea of the Hope, I use two...one on the Stinky and one on the Shred, never ever had a problem with them (If you know how to fit them properly, they work well) Use a SFN on the Phase. Both got pros n cons. Prefer the Hope myself.
    I'm trying reeeeealy hard to NOT be a censored , but how can you 'prefer' one or the other. They look the same when fitted. They do the exact same job, exaclty to the same standard.

    SFN is probably a bit lighter too.....
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    SFN. Why make a more complicated and more expensive part to do this simplest of jobs? (granted carbon steerers cannot be used with SFN)
  • DanlubeDanlube Posts: 454
    Danlube wrote:
    I like the idea of the Hope, I use two...one on the Stinky and one on the Shred, never ever had a problem with them (If you know how to fit them properly, they work well) Use a SFN on the Phase. Both got pros n cons. Prefer the Hope myself.
    I'm trying reeeeealy hard to NOT be a censored , but how can you 'prefer' one or the other. They look the same when fitted. They do the exact same job, exaclty to the same standard.

    SFN is probably a bit lighter too.....

    I'm also trying reeeeealy hard NOT to be a censored , but it's quite easy to prefer one over the other. Hopehead can be re-used over n over, you dont need to mess around with bashing down SFN's, when you often swap forks for different styles of riding the Hope is easily adjusted for different stems, the Hope is quick to install and the Hope, I think pre-loads the bearings better. Saying ''how can you prefer one over the other'' is like saying ''how can you prefer a home made chip over a chip shop chip'' :shock:
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    I can say with 100% authority the preloading abilty is the same when both are installed correctly.
  • supersonic
    who gave you the authority to say that?! :lol:
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    supersonic
    who gave you the authority to say that?! :lol:
    He's a mod / admin (they're both the same as far as I'm concerned :lol: ) so he authorized himself

    :lol::lol::lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    Mods are lowly scum sweepers, we have all the power ;-)
  • joshtpjoshtp Posts: 3,966
    As we well know, supersonic is all powerfull and all knowing. He dicerns good and bad, and he exercises his authority in a just and true manner.





    thats not in the bible... but it should be
    I like bikes and stuff
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    Danlube wrote:
    when you often swap forks for different styles of riding the Hope is easily adjusted for different stems

    Um. What?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Northwind wrote:
    Danlube wrote:
    when you often swap forks for different styles of riding the Hope is easily adjusted for different stems

    Um. What?

    LOL what?

    i have 2 in my tool box as they came with the headsets.

    tome they are still a fit and forget as they can be a right royal pain to remove.

    yes expanding plugs have their place and price and weight.


    and then you have the problem of some forks where they are a tight fit and the bottom of the steerer is almost closed.(or closed) then they are a pain.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • DanlubeDanlube Posts: 454
    nicklouse wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Danlube wrote:
    when you often swap forks for different styles of riding the Hope is easily adjusted for different stems

    Um. What?

    LOL what?

    i have 2 in my tool box as they came with the headsets.

    tome they are still a fit and forget as they can be a right royal pain to remove.

    yes expanding plugs have their place and price and weight.


    and then you have the problem of some forks where they are a tight fit and the bottom of the steerer is almost closed.(or closed) then they are a pain.

    LOL came out wrong, I meant if you upgrade or swap froks you can take out the Hope and re-use it instead of buying another SFN. Got caught up in the moment...
    Kona Tanuki Deluxe
  • AndyAndy Posts: 8,207
    supersonic wrote:
    Mods are lowly scum sweepers, we have all the power ;-)

    :(
  • AndyAndy Posts: 8,207
    Danlube wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    Danlube wrote:
    when you often swap forks for different styles of riding the Hope is easily adjusted for different stems

    Um. What?

    LOL what?

    i have 2 in my tool box as they came with the headsets.

    tome they are still a fit and forget as they can be a right royal pain to remove.

    yes expanding plugs have their place and price and weight.


    and then you have the problem of some forks where they are a tight fit and the bottom of the steerer is almost closed.(or closed) then they are a pain.

    LOL came out wrong, I meant if you upgrade or swap froks you can take out the Hope and re-use it instead of buying another SFN. Got caught up in the moment...

    They cost pennies. Thats a poor argument to use.
  • Andy wrote:
    They cost pennies. Thats a poor argument to use.
    BUT - if you swapped forks 10 times a day, for the next 300 years, it would be a sound investment! 8)

    :lol::lol::lol:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Andy wrote:
    They cost pennies. Thats a poor argument to use.
    BUT - if you swapped forks 10 times a day, for the next 300 years, it would be a sound investment! 8)

    :lol::lol::lol:

    nope as a for the cost of one head doc you could but 15 sfns with caps and sell the 14 spare caps and still have a pint. so would take much less time.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    Incidentally, does anyone want to buy a Head Doctor? :lol: Came with my new headset, never used, because I have made a lifestyle choice and gone the way of the SFN
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    Northwind wrote:
    Incidentally, does anyone want to buy a Head Doctor? :lol: Came with my new headset, never used, because I have made a lifestyle choice and gone the way of the SFN

    but you are using the Hope top cap and bolt aren't you.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • NorthwindNorthwind Posts: 14,675
    Nah, I'm using my Mint Sauce top cap and an M6 bolt I found on the garage floor
    Uncompromising extremist
  • KiblamsKiblams Posts: 2,423
    Northwind wrote:
    Nah, I'm using my Mint Sauce top cap and an M6 bolt I found on the garage floor

    :lol: On the bike I had stolen, I couldn't be bothered to move the SFN so I used a really long bolt that came off some IKEA furnature...

    Oh and I prefer Head Doctors *runs and hides*
  • bomberesquebomberesque Posts: 1,701
    While I accept the evidence that SFN works and I also accept that it isn't an always on item (the stem clamping the steerer, with SFN only being properly used for pre-load) I still don't like it ... it's just not a proper fixing. As a fixing method, there's no way I would have got it passed the guys who used to check our calcs for construction work (at least not without an ars3 load of testing and a 300 page installation manual). it just seems to be a dirty way of doing the job.

    ..... so I use a Head doctor, even though they're heavier more complicated, more expensive and the evidence says I don't need to. shrug.

    I can't ride a lefty either and that *is* structurally justifiable on paper. I just feel like I'm going to fall off all the time, watching the wheel exiting stage right as my face hits the trail.

    must be something in my brain.
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

    If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Kiblams wrote:

    :lol: On the bike I had stolen,


    Admitting to being a bike thief on bike forum? You should have stolen a bike more suited to your forks.

    Anyway I use both HD and SFN...both work fine. Iif I was building a bike I'd use a HD as there just easier and you get a second chance if you censored it up when installing.
    Santa Cruz Chameleon
    Orange Alpine 160
Sign In or Register to comment.