Anti Pollution Maks

2»

Comments

• kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    OK well the Mask arrived , and I cycled in this morning. It steam up my specs at the traffic lights after a climb - so I had to cycle the last 1/2 mile maskless.

I have been taking sudafed which helps with the throat problem - but when I stop taking them that will be the test of if the mask is working. I actually think its taking in cold air that triggers it - not pollution - but we shall see
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    The trick is to get the fit nice and snug, so you don't get any leakage, particularly at the top edge of the mask.

Try different adjustments of the metal nose clip thingy, bit of a fiddle, but persevere (on a quiet road).

Twist the exhaust valves round so they don't point straight up into your glasses.

Experiment with slightly different positions for your glasses. I find it helps if I sit the nose bridge on the edge of the mask rather than behind it, it works a lot better.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    rjsterry wrote:
    The trick is to get the fit nice and snug, so you don't get any leakage, particularly at the top edge of the mask.

Try different adjustments of the metal nose clip thingy, bit of a fiddle, but persevere (on a quiet road).

Twist the exhaust valves round so they don't point straight up into your glasses.

Experiment with slightly different positions for your glasses. I find it helps if I sit the nose bridge on the edge of the mask rather than behind it, it works a lot better.

all points extremely valid especially the nose bridge on the mask and the vent exhaust ports.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Horrible things (IMHO) and from what I understand they don't filter out the really dangerous stuff anyway. The delectable Dr Alice Roberts did a little test re cycling an pollution and concluded that unless you sat directly behind HGV's all day it wasn't anything to be concerned with. I binned mine after 2 weeks I think, couldn't breathe at all through the damn thing, + it got all damp and nasty. In order for the really good masks - ie the ones with the charcoal etc - to work properly you're gonna need a pretty tight seal between face and mask - I could never get that seal to hold and on the rare occasion I could it made breathing even tougher.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    rjsterry wrote:

Ermmm - my mask was £10 of ebay - don't think Ive got exhaust ports !
    I was trying to sort of breathe downwards at the lights - with limited success !

Overall though not as bad as suggested by some. My work colleagues were slightly disappointing, they said I only looked slightly more stupid than normal !
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Horrible things (IMHO) and from what I understand they don't filter out the really dangerous stuff anyway. The delectable Dr Alice Roberts did a little test re cycling an pollution and concluded that unless you sat directly behind HGV's all day it wasn't anything to be concerned with. I binned mine after 2 weeks I think, couldn't breathe at all through the damn thing, + it got all damp and nasty. In order for the really good masks - ie the ones with the charcoal etc - to work properly you're gonna need a pretty tight seal between face and mask - I could never get that seal to hold and on the rare occasion I could it made breathing even tougher.

How about if Rapha made one? :wink:
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition