Anti Pollution Maks

kingrollo
kingrollo Posts: 3,198
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
I seem to be suffering with my sinuses this winter. I wonder if anyone has tried\used\opinions on anti pollution masks

Comments

• W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Apparently it's like drowning in your own sweat.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    IRC they don't really block anything of significance and the blurb from the makers is careful around that. Plus you'd need to keep buying filters for them to get the benefit and keep to the claims of the makers.

It may well be that you feel better wearing one as it'll block the cold air and or big bits of dust. It may be cheaper and more hygenic to use a cloth or wrap
  • kingrollo
    W1 wrote:

Not at my speed !
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    kingrollo wrote:
    W1 wrote:

Not at my speed !

Condensation is the problem, rather than sweat. That and an inability to wipe snot from your nose :?
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Tried with them. Tried hard to get used to them but in the end gave up. Certainly they seem to filter out pollution, when I finished my commute and took it off, my breathing felt clearer, almiost like I had had a breath mint! the big downside is that they completly obstruct your breathing and if you like to ride hard and fast it's hard to take in enough oxygen with the mask on. However if you're a "pootler" and just want to breathe cleaner air then they should be fine. I didn't really have a prob with sweat but my nose runs a lot when I cycle and I am constantly blowing it out onto the road, however with the mask this was impossible so I would end up with a face full of snot..... :shock:
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    There is talk of these masks every now and again...

I hve seen some folk wearing them, but most seem to say similar to headhuunter above...

Is there not some evidence to suggest that you get more of the bad fumes sat in a car (in traffic, what with the circulating of the air and whatnot), than you do riding a bike?

I mean, I have no doubt that the facemasks do filter something out...but I am not sure that we as cyclists are in any way worse off in the breathing stakes than folk sat in a car....

Try it...if you like it keep using it...
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • Headhuunter
    There is evidence that air quality inside cars is worse than that outside, largely because car ventilation air intakes are very low to the ground, at about the same level as exhaust pipes, whereas cyclists breathe air much higher up and the pollution has had a chance to thin out at that level.

However cyclists pull in much more air than someone sitting in a car, a car driver and passenger would be breathing quite shallowly whereas a cyclist will be breathing deep and hard. Also, if you're a slow or less fit rider, you're likely to spend longer in traffic than car drivers and faster riders (unless the car is caught in a jam), so you're exposed to the pollution for longer.
  • PS I think everyone is having more sinus problems than usual this winter, at least as far as my home and office is concerned
  • Headhuunter
    Nettle tea is supposed to be a good, natural remedy for sinus problems. It somehow "dries out" sinuses. I have certainly found it helpful when I've had a cold or during hayfever season...
  • Not sure I'm happy being called a pootler but I use a facemask all the time. Breathing isn't really that much of a problem at all - if anything its training for when you don't wear one. I do have larger than normal lung capacity but hey ho.

Techno mask with good vents stop most of the moisture buildup. I get condensation in this weather on the outside of them. Hate the taste of road now and can't stand cycling without if on road in the city.

As far as pollutants stopped - they do. If you want to say they don't stop nano particles or what not then fine. They do stop the larger particles and the techno does really quite small ones too as its fucking obvious from the fact they turn black. I doubt there is any a non-pootler here who always breathes through their nose so otherwise they go into your lungs.

Comes down to your choice but if you haven't properly tried one yourself then do so.

I don't have any problems with mine at all.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kingrollo wrote:
    I seem to be suffering with my sinuses this winter. I wonder if anyone has tried\used\opinions on anti pollution masks

I use them when I'm in high density traffic, especially in the summer. But in the winter, it keeps your face warm!

Takes some time to get used to them, though. But after spitting out some dark grey/black stuff once after cycling home from work, I decided that it was worth getting used to them. I'm telling ya, it's worse than smoking!
  • Headhuunter
    Another problem I found with the mask is that my mouth is covered and as I don't have a bell on my bike, I tend to shout to make people aware of me (something along the lines of "coming through" or "'scuse me, watch out") to aviod clipping lemming pedestrians etc. With the mask I was silent and deadly...
  • While I have no medically qualitative proof, given the residue and decolourisation of the filter, it must be filtering out something!

I had been using a mask for over a year as a consequence of having Asthma. But wouldn't claim that it has had an obvious effect on it?

As an aside, I would like to say that it (the mask) can represent a greater risk to a cyclist than the pollution itself. Firstly the neoprene material is relatively thick, so if you wear a helmet that is "snug" for it's size. Then the masks straps will make it uncomfortable to wear under your helmet. Secondly if you wear glasses (not necessarily prescription), your breath will invariably fog them up, making it almost impossible to see, especially in winter. And no amount of fettling (even using tape to divert the stream of expelled air) seems to help.

So in summary, they do appear to filter out (some) pollution. I expect the manufacturers didn't bother to test them in the real world or in combination with other headwear.

I've stopped using it because the benefit didn't justify the dangerous conditions they create (for me).
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    I started using a Techno Gold last summer when I started to develop a nagging dry cough (constantly trying to clear my throat kind of thing - ahem. Turns out to have been an allergic reaction to some component of London smog related to underlying mild asthma). The mask worked pretty well, to the extent that I started thinking that I didn't need it in the winter. Stopped using it in November, and hey presto, back came the cough. So, I'm using it again.

Yes, lots of condensation at this time of year. Breathing warm humid air is better for your lungs than cold dry air.
    Yes, they take some getting used to. So do most new bits of close fitting clothing/kit.
    Yes, you have to keep buying fresh filters. When you see the crap that collects on them, you will be glad too.
    But they work, at least for me and MM. If you do try them, stick with it for at least a few weeks to give yourself time to get the hang of them - getting them in just the right place to not fog your glasses up takes some practice.

Still haven't found a solution to the runny nose problem though, and sneezing inside one is to be avoided :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • rjsterry
    Then the masks straps will make it uncomfortable to wear under your helmet. Secondly if you wear glasses (not necessarily prescription), your breath will invariably fog them up, making it almost impossible to see, especially in winter. And no amount of fettling (even using tape to divert the stream of expelled air) seems to help.

I put the mask on over the helmet straps (Spesh Propero) - easier to pull off to blow your nose for a start, plus more comfortable. Second point - I'd have a bit more of a fettle: definitely an issue, but if you set the filter so that it slightly protrudes above the neoprene mask on you nose, and make sure that your glasses sit on the edge of the filter, but behind the neoprene, that seems to work. Also make sure the nose clip is as tight as you can comfortably get it to get a good seal. I can see that this will also depend quite a lot on the exact combination of head shape, glasses and helmet.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• Headhuunter
    Yes, I remember now, when I stopped, my breathe would fog up my glasses with the mask on, although whilst moving the airflow kept the glasses relatively clear...
  • rjsterry, The helmet fit can be worked around... although in my case to keep the mask secure the fit was always tighter than I'd have liked.

The killer for me was the glasses. As HeadHuunter pointed out it was mostly a problem when riding slow or stopped at traffic lights :shock: Not being able to see clearly as cars began to pile up around me was.... "interesting" to say the least.
  • When that happens to me (when I'm not wearing me contacts) I just open the bottom to exhale using my hand and let it flap back up to breathe in. The angle of the vents can make a key difference too.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry, The helmet fit can be worked around... although in my case to keep the mask secure the fit was always tighter than I'd have liked.

The killer for me was the glasses. As HeadHuunter pointed out it was mostly a problem when riding slow or stopped at traffic lights :shock: Not being able to see clearly as cars began to pile up around me was.... "interesting" to say the least.

I quite agree it is an issue, I have had a few "feck! I can't see" moments, but I seem to have found through trial and error a position that doesn't fog up. Certainly something the manufacturers could look into though - Techno are you there?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• If your problem is really a sinus one (rather than air-quality-related asthma or whatever), it's doubtful masks would make a difference. I would suggest getting medical advice. (I get painful sinuses whenever I get a cold nowadays--cycling is then out of the question immaterial whether wearing a mask or a gorilla costume, the pain is too bad if I tip my head up at all.)
  • This may be interesting:
    http://tinyurl.com/totobobo-EarthTimes
  • kingrollo
    OK folks OP here- just an update. I have an appointment with ENT next week re my pesistent sore throat.
    I have done somew web reserach - and post nasal drip symptoms seem to fit how I feel - always wanting to clear my throat.
    I have been taking sudafed which seems to help - but I stop taking my symptoms return.

Anyway this morning I blew my nose - and a great big wedge of green snot came out......is this good news?:-

1.Yes the decongestant - is unblocking the sinuses

2.No it just means the snot is now infected
  • Sigurd
    Sigurd Posts: 38
    I recall reading, some years ago, a study into particulates and other gunk in the lungs of various road users. They looked at cycle couriers, motorcycle couriers and taxi drivers.

The greatest concentrations of muck were found in the taxi drivers, the least in the cycle couriers.

The explanation offered by the researchers was that the cyclists, in breathing deeply as they exerted themselves, were flushing out their lungs more fully than the more sedentary taxi drivers.

Of course, this doesn't provide any comfort for concerns about hazardous substances entering the bloodstream via the lungs, just the concentration of solid matter.

I've had a search for a reference to the original article but haven't found it yet.
    1992 Dave Yates Diabolo

"The future is dark, the present burdensome; only the past, dead and finished, bears contemplation. Those who look upon it have survived it: they are its product and its victors"
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    dude - your nose is an amazing filter as it is. Snot is just the end product of you fighting something. Its like pus from wounds.

Could be entirely separate from sinus issues. :)
  • rjsterry
    @kingrollo: Your symptoms sound very similar to mine. It was suggested at one consultation that whatever constituent of central London air that was aggravating my airways was also causing my nose to produce more snot, some of which tended to run down the back of my throat, leading to the persistent ahem, ahem, ahem. (sorry if anyone's eating their breakfast while reading this)

This was more of an educated guess than a definitive diagnosis, but it does fit with the way my hayfever 'works', and the mask has definitely helped.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• kingrollo
    rjsterry wrote:
    rjsterry, The helmet fit can be worked around... although in my case to keep the mask secure the fit was always tighter than I'd have liked.

I quite agree it is an issue, I have had a few "feck! I can't see" moments, but I seem to have found through trial and error a position that doesn't fog up. Certainly something the manufacturers could look into though - Techno are you there?

I have ordered a mask - only a cheap one - to see how I get on - should be here soon
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Yes, I remember now, when I stopped, my breathe would fog up my glasses with the mask on, although whilst moving the airflow kept the glasses relatively clear...

This is the main reason I stopped using mine. But what bugs and nasties evolved within i while it wasn't in use I dread to think.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    cjcp wrote:

This is the main reason I stopped using mine. But what bugs and nasties evolved within i while it wasn't in use I dread to think.

No worse than live in the equally damp and warm recesses of your mouth nose and throat :shock: , but I do always try to put mine somewhere to dry out thoroughly after each use.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    rjsterry wrote:
    No worse than live in the equally damp and warm recesses of your mouth nose and throat :shock: , but I do always try to put mine somewhere to dry out thoroughly after each use.

Rather than, say, burning it! :)
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • rjsterry
    They don't work for everyone, but they do work for me (just ask Mrs RJS, who was driven half mad by my pre-mask constant throat clearing).
    Pinnacle Monzonite