What pancakes do you eat?

solsurf
solsurf Posts: 489
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
Been a big debate at lunch today, with no answer, I think you should not stray from lemon and sugar! :)

The worst suggestion was tuna and marmalade :?

Comments

• Sweet: Lemon and sugar only.

Savoury... well I'm open to suggestions!
  • Savoury... well I'm open to suggestions!

I think I just heard don_don explode. :shock:
  • Will be having savoury (salmon and mushroom), followed by sweet (lemon and muscavado sugar)
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    Peanut butter and Nutella, for that Reese's pancake experience.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    For LiTs Pankcake wrapped around a 'sausage' with a drizzle of syrup running through it....

For me: Lemon and Sugar. Its not a pancake unless it has lemon and sugar. Anything else and it's a yorkshire pudding or something, surely?
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Will be having savoury (salmon and mushroom), followed by sweet (lemon and muscavado sugar)

Salmon and mushroom with cheese?

Parmesan on top will most likely be added too. :D

Interesting... interesting... are we talking smoked salmon? I've only ever had one savoury pancake, with cheese, ham and mushroom, and it was quite nice...
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    Proper ones instead of your silly thin crumpets :P

Interesting... interesting... are we talking smoked salmon? I've only ever had one savoury pancake, with cheese, ham and mushroom, and it was quite nice...

Smoked salmon would work well, but as my husband is going shopping for the ingredients this afternoon it will probably be a salmon fillet or 2 for me to cut into chunks.
  • For Pancake Day pancakes, then traditional pancakes, with lemon & sugar.

I also have an everyday vegan 'travel pancake' (but which we also make at home sometimes), based around dried ingredients, including spice & dried apricots. Where possible, the veganness is promptly undone by smothering the cooked item with yoghurt. :P

Smoked salmon would work well, but as my husband is going shopping for the ingredients this afternoon it will probably be a salmon fillet or 2 for me to cut into chunks.

*strokes chin thoughtfully*

I might try a dutch pancake, rather than a filled one...
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    cheers guys, I think i'll have a go at some savoury specials, probably give the sausage one a miss :wink:

I've never had such a quick response to a forum post btw. It must be the element of food :)
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    I've never understood the use of lemon juice. Freshly squeezed orange juice and sugar is the way forward.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    blueberry pancakes.....with cream...yum
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    American pancakes with streaky bacon and maple syrup.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Smoke and a pancoik? :lol:

Lemon juice and demarera sugar for me. Nothing else will do.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • CXXC
    CXXC Posts: 237
    caramelised bananas and ice cream for main course....lemon and sugar for dessert :D

www.redlightjump.co.uk

FCN 3 (FCN 4 if I'm carrying clean pants)
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    Pancakes?

do-not-want-dog.jpg
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • seeing how I'll be eating far more than my fair share this evening it'll be most with lemon and sugar, some with ice-cream and maple syrup and maybe 1 with nutella!
    Giant Reign - now sold :-(
    Rockhopper Pro - XC and commuting
    DH8 - New toy :-)
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    sweet
    chocolate
    banana and syrup
    traditional of course

might have something with prawns as my main tonight
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • iain_j
    iain_j Posts: 1,941
    Anything beyond lemon & sugar just ruins them.

My pans also ruin them 8)
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I am foregoing any other food this evening for pancakes - at least 5 of them!

I've never understood the lemon and sugar combo - quite sickening!

It's double cream and syrup all the way for me - I've bought a pint of cream for the job! :D
    Still breathing.....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    hambones wrote:
    I've never understood the lemon and sugar combo - quite sickening!
    hambones wrote:
    It's double cream and syrup all the way for me - I've bought a pint of cream for the job! :D

Eh!!! How can lemon and sugar be sickening compared to double cream and syrup?!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Clever Pun
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Crepes suzettes

CrepeSuzetteCTPic4.jpg

You might want to get an adult to help you with this :lol:

(my frying pan has never been the same since I let someone use it to make crepes suzettes....)
    Misguided Idealist
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    I worked for a bakery many moons ago, they trialled pancakes with apple & cinnamon which were absolute perfection.

BTW pancakes in Northern Ireland are better as they include buttermilk, sugar and egg in the batter mix. Makes them richer and sweeter. Perfect cycling snack
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • seeing how I'll be eating far more than my fair share this evening it'll be most with lemon and sugar, some with ice-cream and maple syrup and maybe 1 with nutella!

I didn't realise my 6-y-o daughter was already posting on bikeradar...!

:lol:

GO TO BED!!!
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • lardboy
    lardboy Posts: 343
    edited February 2010
    Savoury: Chorizo, strong cheese, spinach, green peppers and mayonnaise with a light sprinkling of paprika, all placed onto the pancake while it's still in the pan, so it heats up and melts slightly.

Sweet: Lemon juice and caster sugar. I'm not a pervert.
    Bike/Train commuter: Brompton S2L - "Machete"
    12mile each way commuter: '11 Boardman CX with guards and rack
    For fun: '11 Wilier La Triestina
    SS: '07 Kona Smoke with yellow bits
  • Clever Pun
    I had lemon juice with syrup..not sugar. There I said it, and it was really nice too
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Fixed Pista- FCN 5