Forgetting your clothes.

Canny Jock
Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
edited February 2010 in Commuting chat
I managed to forget the most vital of clothing today - pants and socks!

Remembered towards the end of my commute so it was too late to turn back. I don't carry a lock (it's outside the gym I shower at) so had to walk into Marks and Spencer on Leadenhall Street in the City, up the escalator, with my bike, dripping wet.

I thought I might get kicked out, but the staff were actually very helpful and had a laugh about it. Not sure the cleaner will agree when she sees how much filthy water I've left trailed over the floor though.

Comments

• 0scar
    0scar Posts: 219
    I used to work in a club in leeds and I once arrived late for my 10pm shift without trousers. I ended up working in bibshorts with two long aprons, one on the front and one at the back.
    Commuter: Taped-up black Trek 2200 (FCN 5)
    Shiny bike: Pinarello FP2 (FCN 3)
  • i didnt have my trousers today so cycled straight home and worked from home!
  • Aidy
    Aidy Posts: 2,015
    I'm still quite tempted to leave a week's worth of clothes permanently in the office, and spend one lunchtime a week in a laundrette.
  • I've forgotten shoes, one day spent clicking around the office in carbon fibre Shimanos. A rookie error, now I have dedicated office shoes.
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Spare pair of P&S in my desk drawer (I've forgotten them a number of times). Everything else left at work - though I often forget my security pass too!
  • Canny Jock
    W1 wrote:
    Spare pair of P&S in my desk drawer (I've forgotten them a number of times). Everything else left at work - though I often forget my security pass too!

That's a good plan - as I had to by packs from M&S then I have some spare here today that I can leave. Just hope people don't find it odd that I have pants in my desk drawers!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Canny Jock wrote:

Remembered towards the end of my commute so it was too late to turn back. I don't carry a lock (it's outside the gym I shower at) so had to walk into Marks and Spencer on Leadenhall Street in the City, up the escalator, with my bike, dripping wet.

I thought I might get kicked out, but the staff were actually very helpful and had a laugh about it. Not sure the cleaner will agree when she sees how much filthy water I've left trailed over the floor though.

God. I would've just gone commando for the day and been done with it. As for socks, I usually wander round the office bare foot anyway. I got stares to start with and I got comments from management, but I persevered and they've lost interest and now just think I'm weird....

I forgot my trousers yesterday though, and even I draw the line at sitting at my desk in my boxers, however I always have an emergencey pair of trousers stashed at work, so crisis was averted
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • MrBlond
    MrBlond Posts: 161
    Socks in the desk are good.

I've forgotten them before and walking around in a suit with white (bike) socks like Michael Jackson is not a good look.

Shamon!
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock wrote:

God. I would've just gone commando for the day and been done with it. As for socks, I usually wander round the office bare foot anyway. I got stares to start with and I got comments from management, but I persevered and they've lost interest and now just think I'm weird....

I did think about this, however I have to wear a suit and decided it was worth trying M&S before I gave up. Wearing suit while going commando doesn't really appeal, and not wearing socks with suit and shoes (as someone pointed out at work) would be too 'European' :shock:
  • W1
    W1 Posts: 2,636
    Canny Jock wrote:
    W1 wrote:

That's a good plan - as I had to by packs from M&S then I have some spare here today that I can leave. Just hope people don't find it odd that I have pants in my desk drawers!

I'm not too worried what a desk burglar might think....
  • rml380z
    rml380z Posts: 244
    Pretty much a full set of work clothes in the desk now, thanks to Next.

I'm sure the City branches of Next are open early especially for the dirty stop-outs, but they've saved me on many occasions.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Yeah i've been commando and wore my shower flip flops while waiting for my socks to dry before. We don't have a dress code at my place though.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Belv
    Belv Posts: 866
    I have forgotten all items of clothing at one time or another. The most embarassing time was when i had to wear my water-splattered shorts all day. Spares of everything are in the various drawers at work but they have to be taken home and washed sometime... :?
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I've once got to work, showered after my long ride only then to realized that i have no new clothes with me so have had to promptly change back into my sweaty cycling gear.....a lovely thought i know and then spend the whole working day in these, meetings and all. Lets jsut say i will never forget my clothes again.
  • I have on occasion forgotton to bring my towel in, it gets a spin in the back pack once a week usually.

Drying yourself with your spare cotton Tshirt, or worse, your spare cotton boxers just isnt fun!

:cry:
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    I have on occasion forgotton to bring my towel in, it gets a spin in the back pack once a week usually.

Drying yourself with your spare cotton Tshirt, or worse, your spare cotton boxers just isnt fun!

That's why i always bring a new towel in before taking the old one home.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    What did your PE teacher say when you'd forgotten your kit?

Oh, wait that wouldn't really be appropriate in a work context. :)
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Roastie
    Roastie Posts: 1,968
    Late last year I forgot my trousers - fortunately on secondment at an industrial site, I was able to get away with putting on my boiler suit for the day. Probably helped make me (at least look) more productive than usual.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    In more than 4 years of cycle commuting, I've yet to forget something I wanted to change into upon arrival. Occasionally I forget my goggles or sunnies though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Today I forgot my shirt. I'm having to wear my base layer under my v-neck jumper, I look like a right beatnik (black roundneck base layer under black v-neck and no brogues).

I can do without underwear, I wear my socks all day but have a spare pair in my bag.

I leave my shoes at work.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • Canny Jock
    Agent57 wrote:
    In more than 4 years of cycle commuting, I've yet to forget something I wanted to change into upon arrival. Occasionally I forget my goggles or sunnies though.

That's some serious fate-tempting!
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I had to buy a shirt in Lewins not so long ago.

The guy in there was telling me that he sells a shirt nearly evey day to cyclists !
  • Levi_501 wrote:

The guy in there was telling me that he sells a shirt nearly evey day to cyclists !

:lol:

Excellent.

All I can say is I am eternally grateful that the M&S on High Street Ken opens at 8, as all the other shops open at 10.

Thank-you, M&S, thank-you.
  • Forgotten my trouser belt several times. Boxers and socks a couple of times. Usually send my secretary out to get replacements from the shopping center across the street.
  • Canny Jock
    Levi_501 wrote:

I've had to use Lewin's for emergency shirt purchases in the past - once because I was a dirty stopout and once because I had a bacon and egg sandwich incident.

If you ask them nicely sometimes they'll iron them for you.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Pffft, at least most of you lot are just forgetting to bring clothing in. I hung my 1 month old Castelli Mannaggia Jacket up in a different spot to usual in the shower room at work yesterday and promptly forgot it. By the time I remembered it had gone and no one has handed it in, cleaner hasn't seen it etc. So some c*nt has helped themselves to £200 worth of Castelli loveliness and I have only myself to blame.

I am apoplectic with rage this morning. Going to have to spend January's hard won commission on replacing the damn thing as it was a fricking excellent piece of kit.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    Pffft, at least most of you lot are just forgetting to bring clothing in. I hung my 1 month old Castelli Mannaggia Jacket up in a different spot to usual in the shower room at work yesterday and promptly forgot it. By the time I remembered it had gone and no one has handed it in, cleaner hasn't seen it etc. So some c*nt has helped themselves to £200 worth of Castelli loveliness and I have only myself to blame.

I am apoplectic with rage this morning. Going to have to spend January's hard won commission on replacing the damn thing as it was a fricking excellent piece of kit.

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

WTF???? you've sent a mail to the company I assume (or is it open to other people?) It's quite likely a cleaner has put it somewhere
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Headhuunter
    I have an emergency pair of trousers, underwear and a T shirt under my desk in case I forget anything. Saves me having to buy an overpriced Lewin shirt in an emergency....
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Clever Pun wrote:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

WTF???? you've sent a mail to the company I assume (or is it open to other people?) It's quite likely a cleaner has put it somewhere

We're in a shared development - lots of small companies. I intend to knock on doors and drop notes in pigeon holes, but given the size of the development I'd have expected it to have been handed in yesterday. Centre manager has spoken to the cleaner who claims not to have seen it. I'm hoping it may turn up, but am thoroughly f*cked off..
  • Headhuunter
    Clever Pun wrote:

ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

We're in a shared development - lots of small companies. I intend to knock on doors and drop notes in pigeon holes, but given the size of the development I'd have expected it to have been handed in yesterday. Centre manager has spoken to the cleaner who claims not to have seen it. I'm hoping it may turn up, but am thoroughly f*cked off..

I went to the gym yesterday and forgot to put my £30 Altura hi viz jacket in the locker with the rest of my stuff. An hour and a half later it was still there in all it's faded and sweaty glory - no one had touched it. I guess that's the benefit of wearing sweaty, cheap cr@p