hi viz science

wyadvd
wyadvd Posts: 590
edited March 2010 in Commuting chat
has anyone of scientific bent come accross any proper papers investigating the incidence of accidents amoungst cyclists wearing fluoro yellow jackets as against black ones during the day. And i dont mean a copy and paste from sheldon brown or cyclecraft!

Im lusting after the showers pass softshell in black btw

Comments

• downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    As far as I'm aware there is little other than a tallying up of data from accidents. No real research as such on hiviz, reflectives or even bright colours.

I say buy what you like, just be aware that decent lights help, as do bright gloves, etc at night when indicating.
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    I saw a scooter rider wearing a hi viz tabbard the other day. On the back it said:

"I'm wearing this to cover sombody else's arse".

Which about sums up my attitude to hi viz.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    There was quite a heated debate on this previously,

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12662311

and I looked for some research
    But rather than just spout my own opinion, I thought I'd see if there's any research.

Actually, not a lot exists - but there are 2 main pieces of research I could find looking at motorcycle safety which address hi-viz (the 2nd which is quite recent didn't cite any other research, so I'm not "forgetting" some anti hi-viz report.

Hurt report - major US study in the 70s on motorcyle safety. (EDIT: actually1981)
    http://isddc.dot.gov/OLPFiles/NHTSA/013695.pdf
    University of Aukland published in BMJ
    http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/328/7444/857

Basically both conclude that Hi Viz is effective.

Now - you can point out all sorts of issues with the research if you like - motorbikes, not bicycles, lack of distinction between reflective/flouro, whatever. You can bang on about reflective only working over a limited angle etc. or at certain times of day. You can say that having lights on is more effective (probably no-one disagreeing with you) But research shows IN GENERAL, hi-viz reduces accidents or their seriousness.

one thing to note - i think people had different ideas of what hi-viz means, some just meaning bright colours, others also meaning reflectiveness....
  • Isn't this all just wishful thinking?

Do ambulances come in black? What about police cars or fire engines?
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Isn't this all just wishful thinking?

Some ambulances come in black. But you definately don't want to be in the back of those ones.
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,418
    Have you tried RoSPA? It sounds like the sort of thing hey migh investigate.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717

Of course it is. People, understandably, don't like the way hi-viz looks and would prefer not to wear it. It is more comfortable to say "it doesn't work" than "it works a bit but I'll take my chances and not wear it".

Disclosure - I mostly don't wear it. And I think I'm a bit less safe as a result. This winter I have been wearing a hi-viz tabbard thing a bit more. It is one with flashing LEDs as well as reflectives and hi-viz yellow. If you're going to do something...
  • jedster wrote:

Of course it is. People, understandably, don't like the way hi-viz looks and would prefer not to wear it. It is more comfortable to say "it doesn't work" than "it works a bit but I'll take my chances and not wear it".

Disclosure - I mostly don't wear it. And I think I'm a bit less safe as a result. This winter I have been wearing a hi-viz tabbard thing a bit more. It is one with flashing LEDs as well as reflectives and hi-viz yellow. If you're going to do something...

+1

Not the flashy tabard bit though. Although I do now have a hi-viz orange jacket that I quite like.
  • Tonymufc wrote:

Some ambulances come in black. But you definately don't want to be in the back of those ones.

You don't have to look THAT horrific in high vis....

43812.jpg

(and its so cheap, too..... :? )[/img]
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    It looks horrific.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • antfly wrote:
    It looks horrific.
    Wear black then. I'm afraid you probably look horrific anyway, though.

EDIT - that's supposed to be a joke by the way. Its all comparative. Its better than something made by Altura or Respro.
  • antfly
    edited February 2010
    I do wear black, I am the Man in Black, although I have a red jacket too.
    I think I look pretty darn good in my gear, thanks.
  • downfader
    Wasnt there also a German study too on building sites that found a "saturation point" in hiviz where when everyone wears flouro yellow how nobody takes any more notice, but those that actually need it if its limited to them it works.

As a side note, got in a conversation a while back at work and this matey pipes up how all builders and workmen wear it. He said you could probably get away with some kind of subversive activity if you wear it, as people would glance and go "ahh workman" and just carry on by. :?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778

Everyone see's the A-team van easy enough... Black and Red ...yes
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    antfly wrote:
    I do wear black, I am the man in black although I have a red jacket too.
    I think I look pretty darn good in my gear, thanks.

this I have reflective strips (scotchlite?) on the jacket/my bag etc I believe the contrast of these makes the effect no less 'hi-vis' than the silly tabards (for example)
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • antfly
    And in the same vein my black jacket has a very narrow reflective line on the arms and the back and front of the shoulders which stand out nicely against the black.
  • rjsterry
    I too go for black with lashings of scotchlite at night (Night Vision head to toe - I must light up like a CHristmas tree but never see it myself), but have a Pearl Izumi flouro gillet for gloomy day use. Definitely not a tabard as is pretty snug fit, and does keep the wind off as well. Picked it up at that massive Evans clearance sale down at Gatwick the other year so an absolute bargain.

Really not worried about looking like a freak - I'm a man in tights for half the year for goodness sake.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• downfader wrote:
    Wasnt there also a German study too on building sites that found a "saturation point" in hiviz where when everyone wears flouro yellow how nobody takes any more notice, but those that actually need it if its limited to them it works.

As a side note, got in a conversation a while back at work and this matey pipes up how all builders and workmen wear it. He said you could probably get away with some kind of subversive activity if you wear it, as people would glance and go "ahh workman" and just carry on by. :?
    Ahh, but that still doesn't mean that people wearing dark clothes are any MORE visible. It just means that wearing high vis doesn't do you any good.

Best advice at that point would be to dress as a circus clown, with a flashing nose.
  • downfader
    downfader wrote:

Ahh, but that still doesn't mean that people wearing dark clothes are any MORE visible. It just means that wearing high vis doesn't do you any good.

Best advice at that point would be to dress as a circus clown, with a flashing nose.

I know. :lol: And I said as much on another forum (clown wise)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,373
    I think there is a huge gap in the market for a darker coloured gilet or jacket but with the same coverage of reflective stripes as the 'workmans tabard'

Maybe there is such a product but I can't find one at a reasonable price
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • I think there is a huge gap in the market for a darker coloured gilet or jacket but with the same coverage of reflective stripes as the 'workmans tabard'

There are plenty of dark garments festooned with reflective fabirc on the market.

What use is reflective in dull overcast conditions when half the drivers have no light on and the other half have side lights on?

You still need the colour.
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    At the end of the Silly Commuters' Offroad Snow Ride the other month, we were all slogging up a hill, on road, in the gathering dusk. Some had lights, some hadn't. I was lagging pretty much behind :-(

Looking up the hill, only one cyclist was really visible from a distance - the one with a (at least partially) hi-viz jacket.

All the "I've got loads of reflectives" only works when you're in the headlights / under the streetlights. At dusk and even in the gloomy daytime we have at the minute, something hi-viz will dramatically enhance your visibility to half-asleep, on-the-mobile, distracted car drivers.

I don't like wearing hi-viz. When I cycled to work in civvies I realised that I was clad head to toe in black, so I threw on a builder-style tabard over the top. Looks cack but is easily removable on arrival for the restoration of the stealth look.

Now, I'm on the lookout for a non-yellow, relatively hi-viz, sleek-fitting jacket that I won't be embarrassed to wear into town. Any suggestions ?
    Misguided Idealist
  • antfly
    edited February 2010
    Some people would suit one of these.
    TAIL.jpg

This isn`t yellow.
    endurance_tops.jpg
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    Nothing to stop you getting a top your don't mind wearing but equally don't mind sewing/ironing - and making your own: http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/acatalog ... tapes.html
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    Anyone got one of these ? If so, how bright is it ?
    attack%20jacket..jpg

(I know, I should go to the bike shop. I'm busy so I'm asking the hive mind for advice on clothing. It's a bit like your Mum choosing your clothes....)
    Misguided Idealist
  • rjsterry
    sarajoy wrote:
    Nothing to stop you getting a top your don't mind wearing but equally don't mind sewing/ironing - and making your own: http://www.beseenonabike.co.uk/acatalog ... tapes.html

What with this and your braces suggestions, I think you should set up a cycle clothing cottage industry. Maybe you make some Such Bicycles branded kit for Roastie.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• tailwindhome
    I think there is a huge gap in the market for a darker coloured gilet or jacket but with the same coverage of reflective stripes as the 'workmans tabard'

There are plenty of dark garments festooned with reflective fabirc on the market.

What use is reflective in dull overcast conditions when half the drivers have no light on and the other half have side lights on?

I haven't seen any. Or at least not as festooned as I would like

Surely the colour is irrelevant in the pitch black of unlit roads. However I take your point about drivers lights.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • jimmypippa
    jimmypippa Posts: 1,712

I haven't seen any. Or at least not as festooned as I would like

Surely the colour is irrelevant in the pitch black of unlit roads. However I take your point about drivers lights.

I don't know about when you commute, but I do spend a significant part of the year commuting in twilight when people *should* use lights, but numpties (in motor vehicles, and on bikes) don't. In these situations, bright bike lights, and dayglow colours work well. reflectives don't.

In bright sunlight, I would contend that one is still more easily visible in dayglow than other colours.

In the *pitch* dark, scotchlite and lights work best (assuming that cars have their lights on). There is an additional benefit of relfectives in that if a car has their lights on full beam, then the reflectives can be so bright that they sometimes to dip their lights to avoid dazzling themselves.
  • tailwindhome
    JimmyPippa

I don't disagree with anything you have written in your last post, however I still want a darker (Red or Black) gilet with loads of reflectives stripes.

I also will be buying these, when the are reduced in the spring and stash them away for next year.

dhb-merston-ti-hviz-1-med.jpg